Author Topic: So how much do you have write before you feel please?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline eric

Re: So how much do you have write before you feel please?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 02:42:04 PM »
Interesting practical question.  One good days I'll do 1500 words or more, but things slow down in parts of the book I don't have a huge amount of interest in, or places where I'm just too interested and need to go slowly.  That pretty well covers about all possibilities, so you could say I'm slow, slow.  But I'm not.  I heard some time ago that two hours a day is full time for some writers, and normally I am lucky to get three or four in.  But sometimes I will get on a roll and not be able to leave the computer for 5, 8, 10, even 12 hours a day.  I know people will have words for this, and two of my own favorites are "neurotic" and "compulsive."  But there it is. 

eric

Offline Pieinsky

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 02:55:15 PM »
Initially, i set myself a goal of 2,500 words per day. I had it all figured out based on the Dawes course that I should have the initial write done in unver 60 days BUT . . . ah, the eternal "BUT: the but is, i am picky.

A best selling author i spoke to me said that i should just go right thru the story and tell it the fist time. He said not to wory about thedescription, grammar etc just get the story told once. Then, and only then, go back and start the rewrite. That method sounded so good, logical BUT i am OCD. I keep going back and rewriting. Hence, I only have ten chapters completed  when my schedule says the book should have been written.

It's taken me seven weeks to write ten chaptrs, about 35.000 words. I can't stop myself from going back. Should i?

Wow, that sounds like as much as an obstacle to a writer as a severe storm in the nearby fishing venue is to a fisherman who typically uses it to fish!
Why donít you come up with an amount of times you wish to go over each individual chapter? Then once you have that done if you go over the threshold you punish yourself. For example if you set the quota as four times, instead you break your domestic law and do it five times, punish yourself by not allowing your self to play a computer game that day, what ever suits you, cause thatís what Iíd do. :)

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• Romance author Donnette Smith
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 04:22:10 PM »
It's strange, but how much I write and when I do it totally varies. I can't seem to push myself to write when I'm not in the mood to do it. Sometimes, when I'm on a roll, I can pump out fifty to seventy-five pages a day. Other times I won't write for a week or two. Just depends on whether or not I'm in the mood. I spend alot of time going over what I've written. I find the mood alot more geared for that on a daily basis.

Donnette

Nelodra

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »
Hmmm... sometimes I write a whole story, or even more a day, and then there are times when I hardly get any "real" writing done. That's when I 'm just sitting at my desk, staring at my stupid computerscreen and feeling frustrated because the words won't come, like tonight.  :'(
I had almost finished a nice story last thursdaynight, and had to stop at 1.30 am as I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Yesterday I went to see a friend who lives in the north or my country, whilst hubs and daughters went to see my inlaws, who livein the north, too. We weren't back home until well past midnight, and I was tired today. Tonight I wanted to finish my story, but somehow the words just didn't come... Oww, I hate it when that happens. I only needed probably one more page.
Well, hopefully tomorrow, but if I really ran out of luck, I might never finish this story now  :-[
Oh well, I guess I'd better get some sleep. It's 1 am and I'm really tired... I won't write anything today anymore...

Offline custard

• i wonder if they've noticed my wig?
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 07:48:44 PM »
I'm writing in blocks at the moment. by that i mean, I'll write pages of stuff for a couple of days ( when-ever i get a moment ) and then stew on it for a week, work out where i'm going next, then write a load more.

A bit unorthodox, but if the cap fits.... ::)