Author Topic: new too  (Read 2719 times)

Offline mary

• Me and my therapy dog, Woof
new too
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
well, new glitch.... I was just knocked off the service and lost my whole message that I was writing to you all. Let's see, just wanted to say I've been published for fun but never for profit. And also did well writing thesis papers with high marks from professors. Now semi-retired I would like to write for fun and profit. Currently trying to put together a story about trials and tribulations of kids struggles growing up. I'm having a bit of tough time with outlining this as I can't use a non-fic method and the hero system doesn't fit either. yes, I've cover everything Nick Dawes has to offer in his course but still not finding a method that works. So here is first question shall I use the first 5-10 chapters just intorducing different characters or is that just not done?  Do you know a better way? :-\ mary

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Re: new too
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:33:53 PM »
Hi Mary, welcome from your site moderators, Nick, Suzie, Lin, Aelf and Amanda. In reply to your note, I don't think I've seen something like that done before. Maybe one of our other members has. The main problem I see with it is that you 1) need to hook the reader at the very beginning and 2) need to have enought suspense and drama to keep the reader turning pages. With 5-10 chapters of introduction, how many characters do you have? To many can detract from a novel. I'm going to transfer this, and your note, to Write Questions so more members will see it and comment. Maybe you could post a bit of story in the Review My Work section and gather some good suggestions there as well. Keep writing, Regards :) Aelf

Offline Sheree

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:16:57 AM »
I guess my first question is, who is the target audience? Children's chapter books are usually shorter than adult, so introducing during the first chapter should be plenty. As for the hero method, it may still apply, except you need to think in terms of the environment. For example, in a classroom, the journey experience might be coming up with a science project for a fair. The antagonist may be a bully who ruins his project, etc. If this targetted for adults, the circumstances may be more harsh, but they should still have a basic progression of the main character (hero) growing through a series of events. If not the character growing, maybe it is we who grow by understanding. But there should be a step by-step-process none-the-less that would fall into a similar pattern.

As for introducing many different characters, it depends on why you feel the need to have so many. If you are wanting to intertwine the tales, it might be a good idea to write through one character at a time and then see how you can connect them. It is always easiest to focus on one point of view, so if you have a major need to change pov, you might want to make each child's tale a different short story, and then perhaps have one story at the end converging them all, if you still need them together, from the pov of one who would make the most impact (grow the most) from being the main focus/perspective. Otherwise, one character is the least chaotic to follow, and will flow the smoothest. He can bump into other characters,etc, and share his thoughts about them, but we really don't need alot of background info on them all.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline tigger

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 05:39:07 PM »
Hey Mary....

I've been published for fun too. Every time I write a letter to the Editor of a newspaper, my letter is published. I've won several nights out, several dinners, and other such rewards for my writing. However, I don't think these will compare to seeing your own name on the back of a book cover, or on an e-book.

Regarding your character sketches/additons... I wouldn't take a whole chapter to  introduce a character if I were you. You can take the time to do that on your own. Build the character in a chapter, get to know him/her. Figure out all the elements of the personality you want to portray, and then when you're done and you've got this individual absolutely engraved in your mind (in terms of reactions he/she would have to actions/situations/crisis) bring the character in when the opportunity arises in your story. You could bring the central characters in within the first few chapters as the plot allows and then the other less significant characters when necessary. That is how I suggest the application. Of course, you must work according to what suits your style and your heart's desire...

Bless you in your efforts, Mary.

ciao for now...
tigger
:);)

Offline Mini

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 07:43:30 AM »
Hi Mary,

Are the trials and tribulations of all the characters intertwined, or could they be split into a series of short stories.

Perhaps a diary form could work, as in  Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4.

Sorry I am not an experienced writer, but I did wonder if the diary form might work.

Mini