Author Topic: Question...  (Read 1569 times)

Offline writerintraining

Question...
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
I'm just wondering if the topic on supernatural people (mainly children) is over done?

Offline Strawberry

Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
In my humble opinion; no.  An exciting twist or fresh perspective could be, well, exciting.  Or even a well-crafted traditional story.  I love stories with supernatural characters.   :)

Offline Socom

• Don't be shy, smile!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
In my humble opinion; no.  An exciting twist or fresh perspective could be, well, exciting.  Or even a well-crafted traditional story.  I love stories with supernatural characters.   :)

I agree; however, I think there is more to this question than meets the eye.

I'm just wondering if the topic on supernatural people (mainly children) is over done?

That depends on your audience. Is it a publisher/agent? I'm fairly certain they're inundated with stories based on vampires and Harry Potter clones. Is it possible to write a "well-crafted" book pertaining to supernatural children? Certainly! You may have some problems selling it off due to the flooded market :-\

But, honestly, market conditions do not matter. Do you yearn to write a particular tale? If so, write it and ignore the market! Your plot may go in a new direction, you may be inspired with new characters/villains, and you'll get more writing experience. Money and fame be damned! You're only here for ~75 years...so strive to leave a legacy :)

Sorry...didn't mean to get so preachy on such a short question  :-[
"May God forgive me for the time I've wasted"
----------
"God never panics"
----------
"This too shall pass"

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »
Researching the market is very good, but like Socom says, if the story wants out, let it out.
Like Stephen King said, the first million words is just practice. So is your first two or novels
and screenplays.  ;D

Hope this motivates more than discourages.  :)
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Maxine

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »
New ideas on old themes are always a good idea. Without them mythology and fantasy would be forgotten. Carry on with your story you may well be the next J.K.Rowling or Hans Christian Anderson. Good luck.
Maxine
Wolves civilised man

www.thehardline.wordpress.com
The Station Shorts Anthology
http://books.lulu.com/content/171061

Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:47:09 AM »

Are you asking from an agent and editor point-of-view?

If so, then yes. This topic is as overdone as the serial killer novel from the 80s. Vampires and supernatural boys with mysterious pasts finds a spot an the new cliché list.

To gain the professionals' interest, your story must be unique or your ability to show a good story commanding in the extreme.

You can believe me when I tell you, we see more than enough vampire teenagers, wizard boys, and heirs to the gods to jade us all.

Always better to create your own trend than to follow the current one. By the time you offer your version, the trend ended the year prior.

That's just how it works.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:20:40 AM by Wolfe »

Offline Strawberry

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
I agree; however, I think there is more to this question than meets the eye.

You're probably right - I sometimes tend to simplify things.

Offline LRSuda

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »
If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), it was Shakespeare who said there are only three basic story premises. So, it seems to me, a fresh perspective is what's really important, whatever the premise or the character's supernatural abilities. But, I wouldn't write a story about teenaged vampires anytime soon.  ;D

Lisa

Offline deborahowen

• Goal: Help each writer reach their full potential
    • Creative Writing Institute
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
But, honestly, market conditions do not matter. Do you yearn to write a particular tale? If so, write it and ignore the market!

Sorry, but I can't agree with this - although it depends on your purpose for writing. I could agree if you're hobby writing or to let the muse out but if you want to sell, the market is everything. Timing is everything. Guidelines and persistence are everything. Stir together and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (and 50 edits) and you have SUCCESS. Best, Deb
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:08:37 PM by deborahowen »
Deborah Owen :)
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute
http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com
Writing tutor/public speaker/editor/ghostwriter
Free tips at http://www.deborahowen.wordpress.com