Author Topic: Zulu or Zulu's  (Read 3587 times)

mark stanton

Zulu or Zulu's
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:40:17 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if the plural of Zulu is Zulu or Zulu's?????? same thing applies to Bantu or Bantu's.

Regards

Mark

Offline prophetcharlesb

Re: Zulu or Zulu's
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
I believe it is Zulu's but no ' so it is Zulus you see :D  For real tho its Zulus.
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

robert1704

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »
Miriam  Webster says:

Inflected Form(s): plural Zulu or Zulus

Robert Shakazulu  ;D

Offline prophetcharlesb

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 05:05:49 PM »
Robert, You use dictionaries?? I stay away from them things, they got words in em I aint never seen nor heard before ;D
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Lin

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 02:11:37 AM »
As a person who is a stickler for the possessive apostrophe I have to say that the Zulu's spear  or the Zulus' spear are both possessive in the singular and plural tense.   The plural of Zulu is most definately Zulus.   Or you get get around it by saying there were many Zulu (as a collective tribe) if you dont like the word Zulus.   I have to say it does look a teeny bit clumsy dependning on your outlook.

I hope I am correct in this.   I had this teacher who used to drum the rules into my head at school.

Lin

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 03:33:00 AM »
Yes, definitely Zulus for the plural. It's quite common to see words that end with a vowel given an apostrophe in the plural - video, banana, volcano, etc. - perhaps because people think that without the apostrophe the word looks a little odd. In time, I suppose, if enough people do it, it will come to be accepted as standard English (and the language will be that little bit poorer as a result...). But for now, anyway, it is definitely incorrect - an error sometimes known, in the UK at least, as greengrocer's apostrophe!

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Lin

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
Just to confuse you.  In the Dutch language (where I live) they use an apostrophe S for the plural!!

Video's is plural, Euro's also.  This is something which is normally used when there is no Dutch word for that subject.   The word has been borrowed from the English.   It looks so wrong as though they made a mistake when they did the translations and it stuck!! 

Here are some more examples Bureau's, Auto's, Baby's all of which are plural and not possesive.

Lin

Offline pynkye

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
Has anyone read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss?  The title is based on a joke about a panda who goes into a bar, orders a bamboo sandwich, eats it, pulls out a gun which he shoots into the air, and then exits the bar.  A few minutes later the panda comes back in.  The bartender looks at him and says, "Now just what was that all about?"  The panda pulls out a tattered copy of a wildlife book, opens it to the section about pandas, and replies, "Well, that's what I'm supposed to do.  See, it says so right here: 'The panda lives in Asia.  It eats, shoots and leaves."

Right.  I heard Lynn on NPR the other day talking about the book and telling punctuation stories.  Hilarious.  I was quite charmed by her Society for the Preservation of the Apostrophe (or something like that).  This Zulu war made me think of it.