Author Topic: Discussion: Continuation from Re: GUILTY (adult content) - Off Topic  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Scripter

To see the beginning of this discussion, please click on the link http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=30260.new#new

Now back to the program with Scripter's comment to Reply#24 on the original thread linked above.
-Maimi ;)

Thanks Temp. I have no problem with that...talking of hijacking that is ;D It's alright really because, well we need to talk about some of this stuff at times rather pretending that everything is alright when the opposite is actually true. I guess I strayed far from what's expected but I'll feel better when all this has changed. It'll take time I know but if we're willing to pay the price, time-wise that is, then yeah, we can have the change we want.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:07:40 PM by Maimi »

Offline Maimi

Re: GUILTY (adult content) - Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
So yes, Iain, there are good writers on the site but they just don't want to offer any help because unless they are successful, why should they bother helping a rival?  I guess the fear of competition is one thing that could contribute to making the script section this inactive. And even if rules were  formulated forcing everyone who posted work to review the work of other writers, there is no guarantee that it would  good crits that would be offered. I've seen that elsewhere too.
I thought I'd chime in since you hijacked your own thread. Although, is it hijacking if the originator goes off topic? :) Good discussion. It'd be interesting to see where it'd go in The Writers Circle since some don't visit this board.

I can only speak for myself, but I've avoided this area because I'm impressionable. Stop laughing, Iain and Temp. ::) I read, studied, and even started a screenplay before the novel took over. That was when I learned how much I struggle with providing too little information in prose. The difference between scripts and prose was part of my problem and the ability to slip in and out of prose mode escaped me.

Having said that, the novel is done and I'm winding up a short. So, you'll be seeing me around soon, hence the reason I popped in this time. It's been more than a year and the script is calling. ;)
-Maimi

Tempered

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »
 :D  just a small one Maimi. A short? hope you decide to post that, Maimi. :)

I've only wrote 2 scripts, but they weren't anything big, just a small backdoor stage and for fun. But the inner workings of play writing and such is that I'd have to almost center on only it to do it well. such is my disturbed mind :P

Offline Scripter

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05:45 AM »

I look forward to taking a look at your script Maimi. Sometimes it's said that if you submit a script and mention that you've done novel writing then the chances of getting read get slimmer. I don't know...but let's see that short. I've done prose myself, flash fiction though, and failed miserably. That's when I switched to what I do now. You never know what you're better at until you try them all out.

All the best!
Scripter.

Offline irallan

• "G'day from WA"
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »
Looking forward to seing your work too Maimi.. Never thought you to be the impressionable type..No i'm not laughing honest....lol

I too am undecided if I am script or prose but hope to be able to juggle both...
"You can take the boy out of the country...."

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:30:25 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing how things develop..I have a competed novel manuscript but I think it might work better as a screenplay. It's amazing the difference between the two types of presentation and how you have to change things about.

Big question...how do you estimate running time?

Offline Maimi

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
Big question...how do you estimate running time?
One page averages one minute in movie time. That's why it's advised to stay between 90 to 120 pages. I've read -can't remember where or who- it's strongly recommended to stay closer to 90 pages. I'm sure Scripter can speak more to this or correct me if I'm wrong since I've been out of this loop for awhile.

I look forward to taking a look at your script Maimi. Sometimes it's said that if you submit a script and mention that you've done novel writing then the chances of getting read get slimmer. I don't know...but let's see that short. I've done prose myself, flash fiction though, and failed miserably. That's when I switched to what I do now. You never know what you're better at until you try them all out.

All the best!
Scripter.
Thank you, Scripter. Note taken. Mum's the word when it comes to the novel. ;)

Offline irallan

• "G'day from WA"
Re: Discussion: Continuation from Re: GUILTY (adult content) - Off Topic
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
I wonder if the script is too bare these days. In that I mean I like to read a play that sets a scene well. Yet in screen writing it is suggested to leave that to the directors and publishers. For me that diminishes what is delivered in the dialogue as environment and ambiance are important in the images and visualizations evoked from a piece. I would like to see the script writers give more detail in the scenes and settings myself . I think it helps put dialogue into context more with the action. Hope this makes sense.

With this I think some prose is relevant with having some  script writing sense and especially using dialogue as script in prose...Real conversation and dialogue can carry pieces of prose where simple narration may not and in a script to fully set what the writer has in his mind when he write his dialogue so does prose..

Yes as to running time is there a formula of sorts or is running through the best way?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:21:47 PM by irallan »

Offline KayG

• Kay's Store
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:23:11 AM »
Hi all ~

when I looked into screenwriting and how it worked - I read in several places it was a page per minute - basically   

I am not sure why getting posts on this sections is hard.  When I saw it I jumped at the opportunity, but was scared silly at the same time as it was my first time posting my work. Not many other forums have a section for posting.  I read the existing posts and comments and went for it.  I feel I got mostly good replies and comments that help.  I may be one in a million, but I am not really in competition with anyone but myself - to be better than I was last time.  I welcome comments and help, think on what was written and make my own decision as to use it or not.  I think there is a multitude of talent out there that needs and deserves a chance and love to encourage others. 

I hope we get more posts as well.  I do not know much, I am new to it all, but try to offer opinions when I can.  I too need to be more active if I want more from others - finding time is the hard part     

Kay

The Sword of Ages: Book One of Tallah Trilogy available at stores.lulu.com/kayscreations, join me on facebook and myspace too.

Tempered

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:37:18 AM »
It's just a matter of site interest. I seen sites where there were strong script threads, so why can't there be one here. It has been a while since I wrote one, but script writing can teach you the settings sometimes better than writing prose. The balance between show and tell is trickier and a bit more flexible.

That all said, for me to get better at critiquing them I'll have to look into ones posted with a bit more detail.

It seems there are enough with interest to get this section rolling

Offline irallan

• "G'day from WA"
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
Do hope the guest thing is only Temporary Temp. We do need you here and appreciate all you do.. It would seem we are getting a bit of a script section together slowly. I know there are other groups with perhaps better serviced script sections but do not have the people that we do here so it would be great to get this to work here as well..

Offline Scripter

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Iain (and yeah Temp., hang around) I agree with you that there are sites with better serviced script sections but one thing I did notice was they have this sort of, well...(you'd hardly notice it unless you take a real close look) rivalry. If say, writer A reviews some work then you'll definitely not see Writer B's comments on that thread. Everyone wants to be known as the s***.

Away from that, as mentioned earlier somewhere, it takes writers to build a great writers community and Temp it's very true that if we place site interest first and not what others would call altruism, then yes we'll have this section on fire and in time it won't be surprising to see me more writers joining our team.  To get the best, we must work toward attaining it and once we do we can be happy about it as writers because in the long run it's us who'll benefit. You see, what most writers forget is that agents, talent scouts etc click through lots of writers' sites seeking someone they can use but they can't take a look unless there's something to look at.

For screenwriters afraid of having their ideas stolen from them think of this: "Would it be better to keep a script in a file because you have some inkling that the work might be stolen or post a bit of it, get noticed and have someone who counts seek you out?"

Kay G, I like your attitude. It's always a good thing not to have competition in mind when writing but there's what's referred to as the industry standard. That should be what you aim for at first- writing a standard spec. Of course getting better than you were last time is a good place to start. Nonetheless; you need to have someone you look up to, someone who you feel has been successful and work towards that. When  you set your sights high, aim for the sun...you could land on the moon.

Getting back to Bhan's question, I agree with Maimi and Kay G. A page averages one minute on the screen, when you don't have too much dialogue on the page. But I guess they cancel each other out- the dialogue scenes and the action scenes. It's a question of delicate balance. 

All the best guys!

p.s I must confess I've been a little inactive of late. I'm home alone. So I'm pretty lonely and depressed. When I get back the people I didn't love but miss now anyway, you'll see more of me.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:21:39 AM »
Thanks for the info - hopefully see you sooner rather than later. :) :) :) :)

Offline KayG

• Kay's Store
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »
Scripter - yes I know about basic industry standard and shoot for that as my minimum.   I have scripts I like - movies/shows more than writers - some write an awesome script at one time and an iffy one another time - I am sure we all do.    I just strive to get better myself.  Even in my music I am my own worst critique and competition     
The Sword of Ages: Book One of Tallah Trilogy available at stores.lulu.com/kayscreations, join me on facebook and myspace too.

Offline Scripter

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 04:20:10 AM »
No one's perfect Kay so maybe it's not such a good idea to emulate someone who's likely to disillusion you at some point in their career when a film they wrote flops at the box office. We all write for different reasons each of which determine the strategies to employ in creating a script that will be successful in achieving what you have in mind.
There's no right way to right a script but as you exercise your creative freedom just be careful not to stray too far from what's generally considered to be the norm in as far as structure, presentation etc is concerned and because of the dynamic nature of the industry keep looking around writers groups to keep your knowledge up-to-date since rules keep changing all the time.

All the best.