Author Topic: Free resources/tools - Mindset, Structure, Revision, Procrastination  (Read 642 times)

Offline Jung_Love

I just wanted to recommend some useful resources I've discovered over the last year, either for new writers, or perhaps as useful reminders for more experienced writers.
I tried posting with links and it didn't work, so I'll just write them down and if you're interested they are pretty easy to find with a google search or YouTube search.

These are from the YT channel 'Film Courage' (mostly screenwriting but the bulk of information is still relevant to all writers)

Overcome procrastination - 3 techniques, Corey Mandell 17 mins
Practical ways to deal with procrastination.

Corey Mandell [2020] 3hr full interview
Corey talks about authenticity, fear etc. He also has an older video on Film Courage.

Adam Skelter 2h 30m
Adam discusses story and how each act can be a different 'strategy' by the main character.

Alan Watt 1h 40m
Alan talks about writing a screenplay in 90 days. He discusses why stories need to be a dilemma, not just a problem to overcome.

Turning Pro - Resistance [Steven Pressfield]
The YT Channel is Storytellers.
For anyone not familiar with the idea of 'resistance', this is a useful summary.

Story Grid - Shawn Coyne
Shawn explains a way to revise the structure and scenes of a completed draft.

Ellen Brock
I think Ellen offers concise, practical advice, far above the typical "BookTube" videos because she has the perspective of an editor. She covers the typical videos on arcs and structure but with an editor's head - such as how to make sure the reader is connecting with the characters.
Note: I haven't used her editing service so I can't give any opinion for or against it.

Ellen Brock Blog (editing unpublished novel openings)
On Ellen's website she critiqued submissions (in 2018), and it's interesting to read both the opening, and her response to it.

Brandon Sanderson
I suppose most members know about his writing lectures on YouTube already. He has started his own channel, and there are plenty of past lectures on YouTube too.
A lot of the information is similar to 'Writing Excuses' of course.

Offline Jung_Love

Re: Free resources/tools - Mindset, Structure, Revision, Procrastination
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 04:16:33 PM »
And two movie analysis channels;

Lessons from the Screenplay
This channel focuses on structure, character and arcs in movies and techniques that relate to storytelling.

Like Stories of Old
This channel dives into the symbology, philosophy or psychology of movies, often discussing themes that relate to myths and legends in storytelling.

Offline Zoey141

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:57 PM »
Interesting approach to writing process. These resources are quite cool. When it comes to beating procrastination, all I do is social media detox. I find social media as my biggest source of distraction and often one of the prime reasons of procrastination.

Offline Jung_Love

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
For me, I think the procrastination comes from fear. Knowing that the way to get through it is just to start anyway, rather than waiting for it to subside has definitely helped me.
Having said that, I've spent a lot of time on YT and Writing excuses when I could have been writing, so....

It's not our fault, really, given social media is trying every trick in the book to keep us clicking.

Neil Gaiman's way of working is to give himself two options when writing; either writing, or doing nothing. He won't allow himself to do anything else in his writing time. So doing nothing gets to be so boring, it's easier to just write instead. Ha.

There was also a really good podcast about structure using the idea of thesis, antithesis and synthesis
https://johnaugust.com/2019/scriptnotes-ep-403-how-to-write-a-movie-transcript

Storytellers analysis of The Dark Knight trilogy and symbols was really cool, too.

Lately, I can't get enough of ideas or a mindset that go beyond the basic paradigms, and have an actual purpose (although obviously they still fit within the paradigms)