Author Topic: Short story as an ebook?  (Read 8120 times)

Offline storyteller16

• Christian, actress, director, writer, nerd.
    • My Website
Short story as an ebook?
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
I'm working on a short story and was thinking of publishing it. Normally with print publishing you compile several stories into one book to make it more cost-effective. However, that is not as much of an issue with ebooks, so I was wondering if it would be smart to publish my short story of about 4500 words by itself as an ebook. I was thinking of using Lulu, so that it could be purchased as a print copy if someone wanted to do so.
Christian, actress, director, writer, nerd. Author of two self-published short story ebooks, check them out @ http://www.katie-young.com/ebooks.htm

WIP: Flash, the story of a woman able to see the future and desperate to prove her vision wrong.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Short story as an ebook?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
You could certainly try Lulu.com, as they publish in both print and e-book form. I'm not sure how many people will want to pay for a printed copy of a 4500 word story, though, particularly as Lulu books tend to come out rather expensive.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Foxy

• Yaar
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
Amazon are about to launch the ebook equivalent of the single record: Kindle Singles.

Here are a couple of articles about it. Might be what you are looking for, storyteller16.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26907

http://breakawaytrends.com/amazons-kindle-singles-e-books-one-shrewd-business-move-kindle/01246679
My novel, Trinity, available from Amazon.
UK http://tinyurl.com/7fq8rzt  US http://tinyurl.com/7ecvkom

Blog: One Loose Cannon http://wp.me/2fgNI

Book Covers and artwork: http://patrickfox.crevado.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/PatrickFox_

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:05:53 AM »
Good point, Foxy, although I understand that even for the new 'Kindle Singles' they are looking for a minimum of 10,000 words. Might work if you put two or three stories together, though?
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline storyteller16

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
Maybe the 10,000 word minimum isn't a requirement. If it is, then that's a good thing to keep in mind for my next story. Thanks!
Christian, actress, director, writer, nerd. Author of two self-published short story ebooks, check them out @ http://www.katie-young.com/ebooks.htm

WIP: Flash, the story of a woman able to see the future and desperate to prove her vision wrong.

Offline storyteller16

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
No training required, beyond basic English spelling/grammar skills. Even then, editing can take care of any lack or lapse in those. I'm in high school, and i have a published eBook and I'm beginning the editing process on a novel which I plan to publish. Just get writing! Open your favorite word processor or pull out a pen and paper and write.

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
No training required, beyond basic English spelling/grammar skills. Even then, editing can take care of any lack or lapse in those. I'm in high school, and i have a published eBook and I'm beginning the editing process on a novel which I plan to publish. Just get writing! Open your favorite word processor or pull out a pen and paper and write.

A lot of folks can write, but good storytelling skills, combined with the spelling/grammar skills mentioned are necessary. An understanding that all fiction follows 'cause and effect' (in everything) is also required to make something worth reading.

Believe it or not, Stephen King's book On Writing is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Easy to follow, and not stuffy and pretentious.

web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »
Do you need some sort of training to become a writer and if so are there some places that you can get free training for it?? I've wanted to write for a long time and love to give it a try but just don't have the confidence to do it!! But when I see article like these, I am really inspired to take my writer's instinct to the next level and give it a try!

No.

I have never had any training. Everything I have learnt has been through my own teaching pretty much. I also avoid 'writing books' as they bore me to the very brink of tears. Writing can be fascinating but reading a book on writing not so much, in my experience. Just read novels by your favourite authors and observe what they do. That's all I did and now a publishing house is reading through my novel and from the sounds of their first e-mail to me are quite excited by it.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline herron

• Broken Glass
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »
No.

I have never had any training. Everything I have learnt has been through my own teaching pretty much. I also avoid 'writing books' as they bore me to the very brink of tears. Writing can be fascinating but reading a book on writing not so much, in my experience. Just read novels by your favourite authors and observe what they do. That's all I did and now a publishing house is reading through my novel and from the sounds of their first e-mail to me are quite excited by it.

I stand by what I mentioned before. Only a lucky few can make it without a good base in spelling, grammar and structure.  Doesn't mean you have to get bogged down in mindlessly boring 'teaching manuals.'  But you need to understand what makes a good story and good structure. Some folks can get that simply by reading. Others never absorb a thing until the proverbial brick hits them in the head. I spent a great deal of my career as a writer/editor, and I have seen all sorts of 'wannabe's' come along. Very few make it.

Stephen King's book, On Writing is about as reader friendly, yet pertinent, as any you are going to find. That's why I mentioned it. Reading it will help, but no one's putting a gun to your head.  ::) ;)

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »
Ture, Herron, true.

I have critiqued enough on a variety of forums to know that that is true. Plus some of the stuff I have read in print makes me think that even pro author's struggle some of the time!
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline herron

• Broken Glass
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »
Ture, Herron, true.

I have critiqued enough on a variety of forums to know that that is true. Plus some of the stuff I have read in print makes me think that even pro author's struggle some of the time!

LOL!   True!  Some of the things that pass for 'pro' ought to get the writers shot, not published.  ::) ;)

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 02:23:11 PM »
Actually I have published a tiny little eBook with Lulu myself and I even did sell a few of them.
So it's not that I have been on Ophra's Book Club with it, nevertheless I am somewhat proud that I managed to actually sell such a nonphysical product that way.

So since I have a little experience with actually selling some of my ebooks I do think that Publishing a Short Story that way can be an excellent way. I also do enjoy the idea that somewhere at the other side of the world someone can be buying my tiny little ebook even while I am asleep, while at almost the same time having the buyer receive my pre-writen automatic 'Thank You' note delivering some additional info about the book and thanking for buying.

When you have your ebook and your Storefont
you can (pre) sell your Short Story by writing
about it for example on your Blog or with other methods. 
(you might like to have a look
at my writing blog as an example)

You might also consider to go 'Viral' for example sell an eBook with one Short Story for free or almost for free, offering this ebook with resell rights so that you allow people that bought your ('sample') Short Story to give it away (or sell it to others at any price they like) That way making it spread to a wide reading audience while in that ebook having an 'Active-Link' to a Sales Page or Storefront where they can buy an 'upgraded version' of an (e)book with more of your Short Stories. Although for what 'Going Viral' is concerned, that isn't something that I have done myself, and that I have no experience with myself so if you want to do that you might consider to first research it yourself. 

All the Best,
To your Happy - Writing/Blogging - Inspiration,
HP

To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 04:12:45 AM »
Slightly belated reply to d4gnyee6, but if you want a bit of help bringing your English up to a publishable standard, you might like to try my Essential English for Authors, which is published by our forum sponsors, WCCL. This is a concise, practical manual that aims to help aspiring writers avoid the obvious mistakes that will mark them out as amateurs.

Regarding Stephen King's On Writing, personally I think this is a very enjoyable book which has some useful tips on the craft of writing, but it won't really help you much with the 'nuts and bolts' of grammar, punctuation and so on.

Good luck!

Nick  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:00:12 AM by Nick »

Offline herron

• Broken Glass
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »
Slightly belated reply to d4gnyee6, but if you want a bit of help bringing your English up to a publishable standard, you might like to try my Essential English for Authors, which is published by our forum sponsors, WCCL. This is a concise, practical manual that aims to help aspiring writers avoid the obvious mistakes that will mark them out as amateurs.

Regarding Stephen King's On Writing, personally I think this is a very enjoyable book which has some useful tips on the craft of writing, but it won't really help you much with the 'nuts and bolts' of grammar, punctuation and so on.

Good luck!

Nick  :)

I agree about the King book. Very useful tips on the craft of writing, but if you're still struggling with grammar and punctuation you aren't ready for 'writing.'  I'd suggest Strunk's Elements of Style for a start.

:-\

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 05:16:13 AM »
An other thing you might want to consider is researching a possibility to publish your eBook on the Digital Text Platform from Amazon. (DTP) Although I am familiar with Amazon, I didn't have experience with publishing my own tiny little ebook myself on DTP (yet), but if I understand it correctly with DTP you can target a Worldwide Audience of 'Digital Readers' that read books on their 'e-readers'.

All the Best,
To your Happy - Writing/Blogging - Inspiration,
HP

To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com