Author Topic: Question Thread?  (Read 1745708 times)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: Question Thread?
« Reply #31785 on: November 23, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
I guess I didn't get out much even when I was younger. I mostly just changed diapers on the changing table in the baby's room. Don't I lead an exciting life?
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #31786 on: November 24, 2017, 05:22:41 AM »
I always had my own fingers behind them and stabbed myself a bit as well. Did you do that too?

Yes.  I used to promise them "I'll stab myself before I stab you."

I'll swear they understood me, because if I did stab myself their little eyes would fill with terror and I could see them thinking "Shit, I'm next."

Writer's children, eh?  Subconsciously playing with words and meanings  before they should be able to understand.

PS:  The changing table is now the main support for my writing desk.  How's that for continuity?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:46:46 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #31787 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:20 AM »
Mine was a plastic thing with three open drawer/shelves beneath the table. I doubt it would work for any type of computer stand. Too tall, wrong size.

Do you have any other repurposed baby stuff in use?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #31788 on: November 24, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
I used to have a baby's feeding bottle in my garage, used for measuring the correct amount of fork oil for the motorbike front suspension.  It may still be in one of the boxes which moved with me.

Why was it so useful?  Because it was graduated in fluid ozs, and old manuals for old bikes still used imperial units.

Am I allowed to get away with a rhetorical question like the one above?  Or it it within the letter of the rules but not the spirit?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:55:18 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #31789 on: November 24, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »
Aren't the rules such that as long as a question is asked, it's all good? Does it matter who is supposed to answer? Does it matter if there is no answer? So many questions.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #31790 on: November 24, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »
Where would we be without them?

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #31791 on: November 24, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
I never had a change table, it was the floor or the bed, sometimes the table after the baby bath, with a towel and bunny rug for comfort.

Change tables weren't that common in Oz back then would you believe?
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #31792 on: November 24, 2017, 05:40:12 PM »
How old are you?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #31793 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »
Isn't that one of the questions you're not supposed to ask a lady?

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #31794 on: November 25, 2017, 01:41:57 AM »
Why would I answer that?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #31795 on: November 25, 2017, 06:34:53 AM »
Have you ever noticed that ladies tend to start bragging about their age when they reach their 80's?  "I'm eighty-two you know."

=====

And those who get to ninety-six will start to round-up, "I'm nearly one hundred years old.  How about that?"  Or they tell you about some major event that happened in the year they were born, "I was born the year the titanic went down," and take great delight in watching you try to work out their age.  They obviously want you to know, but they're checking out your intelligence and knowledge as well to see if you're 'a youngster worth talking'.

Gran's favourite response to the ill-mannered question was "I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth.  Just like you."

===
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:37:47 AM by Gyppo »

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #31796 on: November 25, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
Since I'm this old at the gym with a bunch of youngsters, they all hear how old I am. Do you think that adequately explains why I can't do the same thing they can do?

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #31797 on: November 25, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
 ;D ;D

Mum used that age expression when asked how old she was Gyp.

Patti, it would have to wouldn't it? I know it does in my job  :P I certainly can't kick the doors in or jump the fences I once did  ;) ;)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #31798 on: November 27, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »
And yet we keep getting out there. Are we senile?

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #31799 on: November 27, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »

Do you have any other repurposed baby stuff in use?

I took 17 baby food bottles, removed the metal lids, poked holes in the lids large enough to put small Christmas lights through and spray painted the lids white. After the paint dried I screwed the lids back onto the jars, then I glued the bottles together in rows to form a Christmas Tree shape: 1 on top, 2, then 3, 4, and 5, with 2 more to stabilize the base of the tree. I let the glue set and cure on the glass jars for 24 hours.

Next, I took a strand of 100 colored, twinkling lights and starting from row 1 with 1 jar, put about 5 lights inside of each of the jars and worked my way down left to right and right to left so that the plug ends up on the bottom. First, I double checked to make sure all of the lights on the strand worked and twinkled. Then, I went back through and placed a small amount of tinsel inside the jars loosely around the lights to give a nice glittering reflection. I plugged the lights into an outlet and viola! I have a lovely little Christmas Tree to set in the window. I made one with each of my boy's baby food jars and get a lot of complements about them.

My husband on the other hand, was not thrilled about me saving baby food jars but they have come in handy for many projects.

Oh, you wanted a question too. How about this, have you voted for your two favorites in Poetry Challenge #150?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb