Author Topic: Writing About Sex in Fiction  (Read 10026 times)

Uriel

Re: Writing About Sex in Fiction
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
I actually wrote a sex scene for a novella, but pulled it at the last minute as it didn't read well to me... this is most definitely the toughest thing to write about IMO without it being 'anatomical', comical or cringe-worthy :P

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »
Could it also be a subject where the writer is too embarrassed to write what needs to be said. Trying to balance this subject with what the reader will accept and call good taste. (or have I stated the obvious again.)  ;D

Skip

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
And it can be embarrassing to ask someone to read it over for you too or ask how it could be bettered without sounding like some chancy perv! That's why I thought the article was quite useful, at least it can help you avoid some of the evil traps and give writers an idea how others go about it.

Offline deborahowen

• Goal: Help each writer reach their full potential
    • Creative Writing Institute
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
Could it also be a subject where the writer is too embarrassed to write what needs to be said. Trying to balance this subject with what the reader will accept and call good taste. (or have I stated the obvious again.)  ;D Skip

I don't think so. We writers feel very safe, hiding behind a pseudonym, typing anonymously in the night. We can let our imaginations go wild and the real world will never know what we're really thinking.

Here's a passage from an amateur writer named J.A. Buxton, who is describing a woman eating chocolate candy. My point is this - if a rank amateur can write this sensually about candy... think what a good writer can do hinting at sex:

"... She placed it on her tongue and decided, just this once, to let it dissolve within the heat of her mouth. The rich chocolate slowly melted and flowed over and around her tongue. Every now and then, she would swallow to allow the liquid to leave her mouth. Finally, the last of the chocolate disappeared down her throat to reveal the hard center of the candy.

A lighter sweetness replaced the heavy richness of the chocolate. She recognized the honeycomb flavor immediately and wished she could keep that too-soon-melted liquid in her mouth forever... "

(To read it in its entirety, see http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1061461-Chocolate-and-the-Five-Senses.

Deborah Owen :)
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute
http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com
Writing tutor/public speaker/editor/ghostwriter
Free tips at http://www.deborahowen.wordpress.com

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »
But this was clearly done in innuendo to make the reader squirm

Good point though.

There is also "Loving" actions and just "getting to it." in the situation, you are writing about which one fits?

A co question might be: Who wants to read more of the act? (or can you/ they admit wanting to see more scenes of the warmer kind)  ;D

Skip

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
But this was clearly done in innuendo to make the reader squirm

Good point though.

There is also "Loving" actions and just "getting to it." in the situation, you are writing about which one fits?

A co question might be: Who wants to read more of the act? (or can you/ they admit wanting to see more scenes of the warmer kind)  ;D

Skip

Innuendoes are the spice of life because each writer will fill their own mind with sex on their own level. A description of "groaning and moaning" sounds means different things to different readers. Some people are offended at "getting right to it". My suggestion is to play it safe and yet be suggestive. The reader will fill in the blanks at their own level and no one will be offended. But... as my mother-in-law says, "We can agreeably disagree."  :)
CEO & Founder

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
 ;D While blowing smoke rings at the ceiling and humming "We are the champions."  ;D

Skip

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 08:18:17 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
 :D   ;D   :D   ;D   :D   ;D
CEO & Founder

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
;D While blowing smoke rings at the ceiling and humming "We are the champions."  ;D

Skip

You're only really a champion when you can remain silent because the reader/partner hums/whistles the tune for you ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
Touche - Gyppo - harsh against a fellow chap though! :D :D :D

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
I guess that's the difference between running up the hill for first pick and walking up and having more when you get there.  ;D

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
I don't think girls/women talk the same way as men. ;)

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
Maybe I'd better stick with one of these, >  ;D

Skip

Offline Plain_Jane

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »
This is a great thread. I'm writing YA that's not edgy, so I'm not planning any sex scenes, but I do have some romantic/passionate ones. I have to say, those are absolutely the most difficult ones for me to write.

I think one of the reasons it's so hard to write these scenes is due to the way we experience these situations in life. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say I'm definitely not thinking in complete sentences at these moments. In my opinion, there's two sides to these scenes:  the visual and the feelings. If the author chooses to go into more visual detail, there's the chance of being too explicit. However, it can be very difficult to nail the feelings without sounding cheesy. The difficulty lies in trying to balance the two, which can be quite difficult, especially because I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on the right balance.