Author Topic: Looking back to the year 2000  (Read 2369 times)

Lin

Looking back to the year 2000
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:50:04 AM »
Hello folks,

I thought you might like this.   I wrote it before I decided to become a writer.  Its a kind of diary I kept in the year 2000 describing my adventures before moving to live in Holland.  I read it today and thought it might inspire someone to follow their dream, dont think you can become a writer just do it and see what comes out.   This excerpt for me says it all.  It is totally unedited and its raw state, but that doesnt matter it proved to me that when you read it some years later it is as though someone else wrote it!   I liked this other author, she sounded so descriptive it reminded me of someone I once knew!
 Lin

Sitting in my caravan on the West Coast of Ireland in August 2000 I looked out on to the open sea at Caherdaniel. My daughter and her Canadian friend were about to embark on an  evening at the disco on the other side of the mountain.   The bus was waiting at the Blind Piper Inn and the Clarke Sisters were booked to entertain the visitors with their bow and fiddle.  I didn’t actually see my daughter catch  the bus at almost 11pm at night, but my husband  watched them go.   It was indeed the first time she had been allowed to stay out late, but now was my chance to prove that I was recognising that she needed some freedom , after all she was almost 17 years old.   It seemed that as this appeared to be the norm on a Saturday night in Ireland for teenagers to catch a bus to town and return at 2am I was assured by the locals that she would be fine.   I was outvoted!

My husband, Chris, sat with a pint of Guinness in one hand tapping his feet to the sound of the jigs coming out of the pub.   One of the singing”sisters” (because they aren’t really sisters) sang the song “Nora” and everyone joined in.   The atmosphere was just so relaxing and almost beautiful.  With my daughter and her friend safely on the bus we seemed to have become a happily married coupled all over again even if it was just for a few short hours.

The music said it all – Irish music has that effect on you, the rhythm and the Uelliann pipes have a haunting effect on human nature to the point where you feel at one with the music and the place and the scenery.   Suddenly it all feels great, the trials of life are left behind.   I needed this because behind the scenery was a person, me,  trying to get out of the rat race, but forced to stay there for a little while longer due to my family’s education.   I had taken it on myself to open a business in 1998 and earn enough money over seven years to allow me to pay for University fees which the Government had just imposed upon us poor wives who had possibly decided they wanted to retire at 50 and do something else.!

My daughter and her friend returned safely from the disco and were untidily tucked up( or was it mangled?) on their respective air beds inside the inner tent of the caravan awning.  I sat in awe as I peeked out of the curtains onto a calm sea toward the mountains on the other side of the Ring of Kerry.   Ireland is so stress free, or so it seems, there doesn’t seem to be an order of the day, and driving down through the towns there are not many bypasses or Motorways and you have to literally  squeeze your motor home or caravan through the town centres.   Outside the town there are small “volcanoes” in the road where the  soft tarmac has been pushed up into the gutter and hardened at some later time for some undiscerning caravan owner to take his wheels over it and all the pots and pans inside go clanking along.   We never bothered to check the damage there were too many potholes in the road, we would never have arrived at our destination, but nevertheless it was worth the effort of the white knuckle ride up and over the mountains.  Fortunately no damage done,  it sounded worse than it actually was.

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Re: Looking back to the year 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 05:22:38 PM »
Hiya Lin, Oh you've just GOT to do something with this. As I read it, I was there! How beautiful it must be. If this were a travel brochure I'd probably be on my way, this instant. Good job, Regards, Aelf ;D

Offline Anitadee

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 07:18:53 PM »
Hi Lin,
I have never been to Ireland but would love to now! What a lovely picture you painted.
Thanks
anitadee

Offline goldanon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 03:53:26 AM »
I'm glad you gave us all a piece of that trip.  Now I know I have to go to Ireland.  I have bypassed it on several trips to Europe - won't ever do that again.  It's a nice piece - maybe you could turn it into a short story - I'm sure there are plenty of mags who would want something of this sort - Surprisingly, I've found a few airline magazines with this sort of story in them.  Have you ever thought to 'use' it this way?

Offline gub2000

• There's always nest year
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 06:37:41 AM »
Lin, I love your description of the roads. My parents visited Ireland 2 summers ago on a pilgrimage of sorts. Many of our ancestors immigrated from Ireland to the US in the Mid 1800's.( I've read there are more Irish Americans than Irish) Based on the family history my parents had, they visited the various counties where our people came from. So it was very much a driving vacation - staying a night or 2 in a small town then driving on.

My dad still talks about the roads. He said they are only a lane and a half wide. The berm on either side is 3 feet high. It's like the road has been used for thousands of years and over time it's been worn deeper into the ground. Then a truck comes towards you from the opposite direction and there's no room. Oh and the truck doesn't even slow down. All this while driving a right hand drive car on the opposite side of the road. It was quite an adventure for them.

gub2000
Don't ever ever give up - Winston Churchill

www.TheBestofYouTube.com - editor

Lin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 07:00:05 AM »
Thanks to all for your comments on Ireland.  It was just something I wrote for myself in the year 2000 to remind me in later years about all the upheavel I had for moving to Holland - perhaps I should carry on with it and allow our members to follow the story themselves!  It is totally in free writing and unedited.

If you want some more of it just ask!!

Lin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 08:21:42 AM by Lin »

Offline Foxy

• Yaar
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 08:00:26 AM »
Hello Lin, I lived in Ireland for a short time in the seventies and this piece describes exactly what it was like. Thanks for the feelings of nostalgia.
My novel, Trinity, available from Amazon.
UK http://tinyurl.com/7fq8rzt  US http://tinyurl.com/7ecvkom

Blog: One Loose Cannon http://wp.me/2fgNI

Book Covers and artwork: http://patrickfox.crevado.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/PatrickFox_