Author Topic: How do you improve on your writing?  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: How do you improve on your writing?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »
Do tell...which one? :D

Tempered

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
Well he said it first :)

apocalypticdreamer

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:44 AM »
I personally believe there are many steps. But it also depends on the style of writing the writer/author wants the readers to "see through". Meaning, what would draw them to read your writing, period?

Well, I would believe that it's grammar, as well, as how you would describe certain things. To make it more appealing for the readers. I personally like the readers to "feel" how the characters act, and the way they use their words. How their words may or may not effect other characters or the setting where it takes place.

It's a start. But we all have to start somewhere.

Good Luck!

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 04:49:53 AM »
For what my Strategy is concerned, I frequently write on several of my Blogs. Usually while writing I stumble up on something I like to express and need a dictionary for it to look for the right words. So I guess that accounts for one of the improvements, to learn new words.

Also Blogging is a great way to frequently write, just doing it and hopefully one day there will be a day that I can say: 'I can write' :)

To shorten the learning curve I do think that it's a good idea to have a look at all the other replies, because there are a lot of useful tips, that I am going to have a closer look to.

All the Best,
To your - Writing - Inspiration,
HP
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline Griffin

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
I have found the following to be indispensable:  Strunk & White's Guide to Style, Ann Lamott's Bird by Bird, and Steven King's How to Write.  I Hope these help. PS Please read my script in the script forum.  : ) Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:10:37 PM by Griffin »

Tempered

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 07:19:46 AM »
Thank you all.

Lots of good suggestions.

Critiquing is great also, we learn alot from those who are in the same boat.

cmb

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »
The short answer is: by writing as much as I can.

The long answer is pretty much the same.  ;)

But there is more involved, like getting your work critted - and being open to even the harshest critiques - reading a lot, studying people every chance you get, writing, critiqueing others' works, reading, writing, writing... I'm sure you get the picture.

Oh, and if, let's say, grammar isn't exactly your stongest point, you'll need study the rules of grammar. The same goes for spelling, punctuation, etc.

Basically, if you discover you're struggling with a certain aspect of writing, it's a very good idea to study that area more indepth. It will cost time, and you'll most likely find you'll want to buy a book or two (three) as well, but it will be worth your time and money.

Tempered

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 09:09:52 AM »
its nice to see critiquing mentioned when people talk about improving. rare sometimes to witness, but nice to see mentioned :0

AriM

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
I believe reading is the most fundamental way to improve as a writer.  I've always been an insatiable reader but, at some point (I don't know when), I began to refine the list of authors whose works I pursue.  I don't think this was exactly a conscious process but my favorite authors are now those whose characters are so multidimensional and complex, so very flawed and so very human, that it's impossible to believe they are fictional.  John D. McDonald and his Travis McGee have for many years remained unshakably number one on this list.     

Tempered

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »
when do you decide that you as a writer need to improve on your own without the influence of other writers, AriM? Or do you wish to write like them?

AriM

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
No, not at all.   Mimicry is not what I pursue. I'd be a fool to try to write like King or McDonald or anyone else.  I have my own voice and my characters have theirs.  Writing is a solitary occupation but one has to get out and around or the well of ideas runs dry.  I'm just saying that a huge part of getting out and expanding as a writer is in reading the best you can find.  Those works that show what can be accomplished with the written word.  Those works that stretch you and teach you to raise your own standards.  I am, as I've written before, an odd duck.  I don't tend to read within the same genre as I aspire to write. 

Tempered

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
true, we can never try to write like another writer and reading is important.

to me another way is to practice your writing, look at what is said, then practice practice practice by yourself until those changes occur throughout your voice. because voice doesn't just change in one sentence and then go back to the old. If you change one way of saying something, it effects everything else. a story is like a spider's web, touch one thread, it ripples to the core.

Temp

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »
Tell me about it...try writing different versions of press releases and articles ten different ways to a word count and retaining the key words!

Tempered

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »
lol my mind would never handle that, Sio :)