Author Topic: How do you improve on your writing?  (Read 10191 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: How do you improve on your writing?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Fortunately most of the guys sound like me - unless I'm putting on an accent to dress them up...but I do know it's me doing it. Nobody in there I don't recognise.

Offline Meredith

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
I don't know if it actually improves my writing, but, as stated, reading lots of good stuff and critiquing help me to feel like writing, and to feel like I'm getting better at it.  I just trust what others say about the more you write the better you will write.
"But words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think." Lord Byron

Tempered

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »
hello Meredith

Yup writing definitely plays an important role, I do like that you mentioned critiquing also  :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
lol I never was one for statistics :)

But a free mind is often looked at as outside the normal box.

I don't think most fiction writers even have a box ;-)  Except perhaps to stand on and peep over walls which block our view..

More likely an infinitely stretchy balloon which we shove in whichever direction suits us at the time.  But sometimes perhaps we get a bit scared by this freedom, or a bit confused by what the stretch reveals, and temporarily adopt a smaller and more box-like lair, an inner sanctum where we hide away for a while.  Sometimes this little box is built surreptitiously and unnoticed, a plank at a time, by listening too attentively to criticism and not enough to our own inner thoughts.  By being in a hurry and not letting some thoughts gel properly before nailing them down.

Sometimes the box was nailed shut by excessively rigid education, and it takes the writer a while to escape and find the stretchy balloon beyond.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Fortunately most of the guys sound like me - unless I'm putting on an accent to dress them up...but I do know it's me doing it. Nobody in there I don't recognise.

Yet ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:52 PM »
Bugger off Gyppo! :D

Tempered

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »
but readers do. and when you write outside of that box, they notice.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »
Bugger off Gyppo! :D

Too late.  Once the seed has been planted...

Offline Jelena

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »
I think we all write what we know so it is only natural that we might find ourselves in our stories, one way or the other. Like I already mentioned in the Nano post, my MC is a lot like me, I wrote my best friend into the story, my husband made his appearance last night and I found out that I wrote my evil b&%#@ of a mother in law into it as well, and let me tell you, she is not a nice character. lol. And I so didnt mean for that to happen. I just sat back and thought about my characters the other day and realized what I had done.

And Im glad to know that Im not crazy crazy, just writers crazy. lol I do believe that it changed me as a writer once I started being that crazy lol. I got better.

I remember reading the sword of thruth series by terry goodkind and he has the ability to draw me into his novels. I grew with his characters, they were so dear to me, that I was totally upset when something happened to them. And the most amazing thing - to me - was the way he described their surroundings. It was to the point that Id be driving down the road and Id be like omg that is totally where this and that could have happened.

For me as a writer that is a goal that whoever reads my story will have the same kind of connection and can relate to it the same way I related to those novels.
Nano Madness once again...

Offline muller1

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
I have also improved my writing through reading, as mentioned by several people here. However, it also depends on what you read, etc. Make sure you are reading quality, well-written material. Also, this probably applies more to bilingual people here, but I found it helped me to write translations. Basically, I translated texts from my language into English. And then having that corrected by a native speaker. Hope that helps!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 11:19:05 AM »
Make sure you are reading quality, well-written material.

Generally true, and certainly important with factual material.  But...  You knew there was going to be a 'but', didn't you?

There is also a case for reading a reasonable amount of badly written stuff as well because it will help you recognise it when it inevitably, but hopefully only occasionally, shows up in your own output.  In truth you can learn a hell of a lot from bad examples.  As long as that's not all you read.

Gyppo

Tempered

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
Thank you Muller. :)

Lol Gyppo I was about to say the same thing in reply :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
You know what they say about great minds thinking alike...  What's our excuse? ;-)

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 12:05:18 PM »
You share a mind?

WOW!

Tempered

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
lol what else. that one of us got lucky ;)