Author Topic: How do you improve on your writing?  (Read 10176 times)

Offline WordBird

Re: How do you improve on your writing?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
Just marking this for notifications.

Tempered

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and help in clarifying what can be used to improve a writer's writing.

I appreciate the time you've given

Offline Fagins girl

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
I just write everyday while also reading the work of others to learn about their style etc.

I think the best way to learn is to read books, looking at the layout and how they used dialogue etc.

xx

Tempered

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Excellent thoughts, Fagins girl. I try not to emulate another author but definitely looking at their way they do things breaks a path through the forest :)

Offline tezzy

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »
I try to read a lot of different things, both online and in book form. And while I'm doing that, I try to think about how it's written, and why it works.

I also write lots of different things, and if I don;t know how something works, I learn about it. For example, I've never written a press release, but someone has expressed an interest in me helping them to write one, so I'm looking at examples of how it should be done.

Tereasa
http://teastonfreelance.blogspot.com

Tempered

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
Well done Tezzy, and welcome to the forums

yes, trying new things opens the mind to alternative ways of saying things :)

Offline Jelena

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
Temp, another thing I noticed lately is that I am a lot more observant. And I constantly narrate to myself in my head. lol. Like the other day I was sitting on my porch, watching my dog lay int he grass and I just wanted to take a quick break and enjoy the sun. I closed my eyes, enjoyed the quiet. But then I realized how freakin loud it was in my yard, there was a wood pecker, at least three different kind of birds, a million crickets, tree frogs, a carpenter bee working on my porch, the horses next to us, the leaves rusteling when the wind picked up. And in my head I was trying to describe that scene to somebody else, the way it looked, with all the different colors of the leaves, the way it smelled, how it felt and all that.

Also, when I hear people talk in a different way, maybe with a certain slang, I pay more attention and take note of it so I might be able to use it later.
Nano Madness once again...

Tempered

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
Exactly Jelena, we should use all our senses. I remember doing an exercise where I had to try to describe a rose to a blind man who knew no colour except from their reaction to his other senses. It was hard to do, but taught me a few things as well.

Great example you have given :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
Jelena,

Congratulations.  You're developing a writer's eye, and the other senses.  An instinctive observation rather than a conscious one.  It opens up the world.

Children do it without effort, but as adults in the workplace we are almost brainwashed into focusing only on what is essential to the job in hand.  We shut out all sorts of interesting little extras which are clamouring for our attention.  After a while this becomes a habit.  As writers we are best served by shedding this habit and taking the extra time to observe the world with the wide-eyed wonder of a child.  But, unlike the child, we have a wider vocabulary with which to share our observations..

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Jelena

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »
Aww, thanks, Gyppo!
It is really interesting to see how much more I notice now and take the time to take it in. I also appreciate things more. Like getting up early and sitting on my back porch, enjoying the few minutes of silence before everybody gets up, and watching the sun rise behind my house. Its so beautiful and relaxing.

I did think I was kinda crazy when I started narrating things to myself all the time. At least I do it in my head. lol
Nano Madness once again...

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
I did think I was kinda crazy when I started narrating things to myself all the time. At least I do it in my head. lol

Only 'writer crazy', which is pretty normal around here ;-)

Trying bits of dialogue or decription in your head is quite normal.  As is seeing things through the eyes of your character.  The latter can be a bit disconcerting at times.  Especially if you are a normally gentle peaceful type and you find yourself thinking how easy it might be to slit a stranger's throat, or shoot them from your window.  Just remember it's the character's thoughts in your head, not yours.

I'm told that not all writers can do this, which seems strange to me.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Tempered

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »
what if you're both crazy :P

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »
I can't and won't speak for Jelena, but It's still the kind of crazy that gets results ;-)

Statistics suggest that 95 percent of the mentally disturbed live lives of quiet misery and desperation.  Maybe I'm part of the other 5% who apparently manage quite well ;-)

Seriously, there are some corners of my writer's mind where I don't probe too deeply for fear that too much understanding may stop it working.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:14:07 PM by Gyppo »

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
Only 'writer crazy', which is pretty normal around here ;-)

Trying bits of dialogue or decription in your head is quite normal.  As is seeing things through the eyes of your character.  The latter can be a bit disconcerting at times.  Especially if you are a normally gentle peaceful type and you find yourself thinking how easy it might be to slit a stranger's throat, or shoot them from your window.  Just remember it's the character's thoughts in your head, not yours.

I'm told that not all writers can do this, which seems strange to me.

Gyppo

I don't feel alone any more! Well the voices keep me company anyway, need to recruit a few more useful, practical ones I suspect but I enjoy their chat.

Tempered

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
lol I never was one for statistics :)

But a free mind is often looked at as outside the normal box.