Author Topic: Chain Book!  (Read 33657 times)

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
Re: Chain Book!
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »
Pity...sexuallized violence tends to sell quite a bit. But, must cater to the needs of friends
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2006, 01:23:42 PM »
sexual violence is a reality, so if it shows up at some point iin a book I don't have a problem with it (assuming it is not too creepy), but I would not read a book that is exclusively about brutal violence perpetrated on helpless victims, who happen to be naked or prostitutes or strippers, for the sole purpose of selling gore.

(As in "Let's see what are the elements that young males, age 17 like... beautiful naked women, brutality, fast cars, lots of foul language and extended fight scenes...so le't put them all toegher and try to wrap a movie or book around it to see if it sells...that type of approach)

Offline WCA

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »
It's not exclusively about violence against helpless people...
I was just giving some bullet points that can be implemented in infinate ways...

There is violence... there is sexual violence... but that's what the protagonist is struggling with. It could probably be a part of her past...maybe?

We'll make sure to add a lot of seasoning to the plot to make it really interesting...  :)

Because right now Tyger, you're judging the entire story(ies) on but a few bullet points...
It's like saying a story won't work just because it has a dragon and a person with a magic sword.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:36:58 PM by WCA »

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:51 PM »
I didn't say it woudln't work. I just didn't know if I would like it.

And since that is about the only point I have heard so far (except the drunk frat girls), what else do I have to look at?

I know I wouldn't like the vampire story, but it's not my decision. I just know that I wouldn't want to write a vampire book.
I also wouldn't want to write "Sin City", but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Some people love that stuff. It's a personal thing.

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »
PS:
It's not that I'm not twisted...I just like my twists to be a little more on the subtle side... ;)

Well, I gotta go to the dentist. I'll find out what you all decide when I get back.
Ta ta

Offline WCA

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2006, 01:43:27 PM »
Indeed I respect your taste milady...
And for that I think we will omit vampires... and I assure you that it won't be Sin City.

However... I see no harm in keeping the bullet points (at least for experimenting  ;D).

Anyway we did decide on a voting scheme right?

Say hi to the dentist... LOL!!!

OzMac

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
Hey, maybe the protagonist could be a dentist  :D

Offline WCA

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2006, 04:01:34 PM »
OzMac... were you sent to torment me?

OzMac

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »
The question you should really be asking yourself is...who sent me?

Offline WCA

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2006, 06:12:56 PM »
It's probably some metacosmic entity with an intriguing sense of humour...
 ;D
And it obviously does not like me...

OzMac

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2006, 07:03:39 PM »
 :D :D :D

Offline traveller

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2006, 07:49:26 PM »
One day off the net and I miss everything!
So a female protagonist, sex and violence (though not exclusively) an Inn and a degree of vampiric tendency (for vampiric read 'consuming regardless of others needs/rights...', Tyger ;) )

Okay, try this.....

There's an old greek myth, the lamia. Lamia was a mortal woman who went to bed with Zeus, Hera got slightly annoyed with this mortal woman sleeping with her husband, turned her into a monster and forced her to eat her own children. Leaving her an immortal 'vampire'/cannibal with a taste for eating children. Lamia is also the latin for witch - there are later myths portraying the Lamia as a vengeance seeking female (very rarely a male or hermaphrodite) who is prompted by violence by men.
There are numerous descriptions of this character - she can pluck out here own eyes at will, she has the body of a snake and the head and breasts of a woman but can shapeshift at will, etc etc.

I read a novel a few years ago which stuck with me, regarding a modern day lamia who would place herself in situations where she could be raped, if the man took the bait he died a very unpleasant death, the protagonist was a shape shifter who suffered moral qualms when she fell in love with a member of the enemy sex..... (I think it's Lamia by Tristan Travis, if anyone's interested -but as I'm packing up to move at the moment it's currently buried at the bottom of one of a dozen boxes so I can't check  >:()

This is a pretty strong and adaptable combination of the points WCA fired off before. Any use?  ???
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 07:58:58 PM by traveller »

Offline WCA

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2006, 08:09:29 PM »
You're a good man OzMac  :D

Oh yeah! And to spice up your expectations my friend... I decided to add something to the plot that'll make it exotic and dark!!!  ;)

Ooooh boy!!!!

Enter the spectacular underground club known as the Sanctum...

At one point in the protagonist's life, she used to work as an exotic dancer in that club.
Her somewhat dark and mysterious beauty had caught the eye of the club's owner. He promised her all the money she wanted in return for satisfying the customers of the Sanctum.
She was then given the title: Succubus for her otherworldly voluptuousness.

Succubus in reality was bisexual, and shared an apartment with her female partner: a blind young woman who showed an uncanny talent in weaving... in spite of her sightlessness!
She used to sit at her loom almost everyday to weave strange images that seemed bizzarely vivid, yet abstract!!! We won't know of these strange tapestries until later... (rest assured; I already know  ;) I just don't want to pour too much...)

Anyway... Succubus had fallen deeply in love with the blind weaver and vice versa. And the more the weaver touched Succubus with her so-called enchanted hands, the more Succubus was able to feel transcendental forces that connected her to the countless threads of the tapestry of the dimensions. She saw the true form of Time, which was -- to her surprise -- not a man... but a woman.

However, things began to twist once the owner of the Sanctum asked Succubus to be his own, personal mistress.
Refusing his offer... Succubus's life in pandemonium had begun... after paying a terrible price.

There's more where that came from if anyone's interested...  :D

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 06:01:19 AM by WCA »

Offline WCA

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2006, 08:28:33 PM »
That's right milady Tyger,

'consuming regardless of others needs/rights...'  ;D ;D ;D

The idea of the Lamia seems to work with me  ;)!

I've been reading Classical mythology for a long time and the Lamia had always been one of the paradigms of prejudiced female power. And it was certainly not terrifying to me. On the contrary... the Lamia was beautiful -- along with Lilith in Sumerian and Judaic mythologies.

Considering her Hecate's progeny, Lamia's dark nature simply involved a female mystery that men had feared throughout the ages... (that's what I personally think...)

Maybe the Mesopotamians were thinking the same upon conceiving the myth of a female dragon-mother-goddess known as Tiamat.

And folks, say hello to the beautiful Lamia, as depicted by Herbert James Draper  ;D ....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 06:02:52 AM by WCA »

Offline traveller

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »
Won't find me disagreeing WCA! For a change...  ;)
Haven't come accross Tiamat before, will have to read up on her. Have read that Lamia is synomyous with Lilith, though the legend differs the result is the same with a child eating demonic female.
The Succubus idea is interesting too, looks like we're mixing and matching our mythologies - am I more totally off the ball than usual or is the weaver (and Madam Time) linked with the three blind fates? And could this be a useful basis for a few of our major characters?