Author Topic: Chain Book!  (Read 33299 times)

OzMac

Re: Chain Book!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »
I recall a game I used to play on the PC called Frontier: Elite 2.  Included with the box was a small book of short stories.  They were essential individual stories in terms of plot, themes and characters, but they were held together by the fact that they were all set in the same place.  Or, maybe you're looking at having each writer's characters to have some connection/interaction with each other, (such as with the films Short Cuts and Magnolia).

Okay, so for a location, how about a hotel?  Each writer takes a room and populates it with their own characters.  As for a connection, aside from the fact they are in the same building, perhaps someone could step up and define some 'global variables' that all stories would be required to recognise, such as a nosey cleaner, an eccentric hotel manager, troublesome guests in another room and so on.

Well, just an idea.

Offline WCA

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 09:36:33 AM »
Indeed Tyger, the reader wants continuation.
And since the writing didn't start yet, I think we must plan the initiation of the chain book.
So it's time, I think, we open up the floodgate!  :D

I don't think the reader wants a dull storyline with no stirring of emotions and no twists.
It must be a work that oozes with life!!!

I say let's start a vote after we've summed up a soild number of people who wish to co-operate. First thing's first of course...

As for my absence... I had to work on a lot of things from writing and editing drafts, to helping my cousin with his on-going car-shopping (ring any bells dear Tyger?  :P)
Milady I presume you've missed me, eh?  ;)

Till our next meeting  :)

- WCA

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:53:13 AM by WCA »

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »
thank you all for seriously considering this Idea with me! Ok. If you are actually serious about this thing, pm me with your name and e-mail so I can rally everyone up and get the basic characters and places together and start this thing up! (I am not asking for your email as a spammer just a writer)

Please respond by Next week monday at 12 pm est. I don't know how to convert that into your time, but you could figure it out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:49:27 AM by matsamu »
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline WCA

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
Any ideas on the nature of the plot people?

Because I believe I have one in mind...  ;)

Take care...
- WCA

Offline matsamu

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 11:16:44 AM »
Ok...wca, what's ur idea? and secondly, how well is the Hotel idea gonna work out. Won't it be kinda hard to write a fantasy book based in a hotel? I can see any other kind of book there: mystery, romance, maybe action, scifi...maybe, but fantasy? I'm not ruling out the idea, just keeping things in perspective here.

Offline WCA

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
I was thinking maybe, we should set the story in a near-futuristic world. Since, there's not going to be a Middle-earth-like setting, and High Fantasy ambience, I saw that a near-futuristic world can work out for a lot of writers. 

The plot revolves not around an epic struggle of good versus evil.
Let us make it darker, more somber in nature.

The protagonist could be seen as an anti-hero whose interaction throughout the story involves him delving into the chasms of his own self -- his own consciousness, his own soul, that take him to various 'phases' of his immortal life.

The writer will then create a phase, choosing whatever age the protagonist can be in: childhood; adolescence; adulthhood; and old age.

Any comments so far...?

Offline matsamu

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 11:41:08 AM »
Not bad at all...I do like it.

Are you saying that each author that is helping with the book (there are 4 of us so far) will choose their own stage in life? like I could write about his childhood, you could do mid teens traveller could do early adult etc....is that what you're saying?

Offline WCA

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 11:50:02 AM »
Sort of... but not necessarily in a consecutive order.

I could start writing a story of the protagonist during adulthood, and in a critical point at the end of the story for example, he/she supposedly gets stabbed.

As the protagonist drifts away from the body, he/she comes across a spirit of a legendary weaver who crafts the gateways to other periods of time.
The protagonist simply asks of the spirit to return him to a time of chastity before umm... the Great War for instance (play along, ok? haha!!!  :D)
The spirit accepts however, it demands payment -- the broken chastity of another.

So the spirit sends the protagonist back to the time of early adulthood for instance. And my story ends.

So the saga continues with another writer...  :)

You get my drift?   

Offline matsamu

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 11:53:05 AM »
Yes...but wouldn't your story have to be based on the past...aka the story of another writer. If your guy goes back in time to his childhood, then your story would have to have some kind of basis and continuation on the story coming up. If I write something in a sequel/ prequel, whatever you call it, that doesn't coincide with yours then something may go amiss.

Offline WCA

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 11:55:21 AM »
Hmm....
Maybe you're right... anyway... we'll see what others feel about it.

I came up with the idea in a hurry  :P

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 12:26:04 PM »
Ok...wca, what's ur idea? and secondly, how well is the Hotel idea gonna work out. Won't it be kinda hard to write a fantasy book based in a hotel? I can see any other kind of book there: mystery, romance, maybe action, scifi...maybe, but fantasy? I'm not ruling out the idea, just keeping things in perspective here.

Maybe not a hotel, but an Inn. There are always Inns somewhere in fantasy writing...
Perhaps the characters could at one time visit the Inn or they all start their quest at the Inn, or the innkeeper is secretly a warrior or a sage, etc.

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 12:28:09 PM »
Ixnay on the email-ay, but you could msg me the details if you wish.  :)

Tyger

Offline WCA

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:24 PM »
I  hereby declare that inns are added to the chain book...

However, now's the time to focus not on the inn, or the inn-keeper, nor the drunk guy at the corner, nor the weary traveler who stopped by to spend a night in peace. And the rest of merry folk at the inn(s).
We must concentrate on the blueprint of bigger stuff... like the story(ies), main characters, etc...

OzMac

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
hehe, I was just using 'hotel' as a general example.

Offline WCA

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
Point taken OzMac  :D
Hotel, inn, whatever... it'll be there...  ;)