Author Topic: Chain Book!  (Read 33300 times)

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
Chain Book!
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:38:06 PM »
I am proposing that some of us writers write a chain book.
A chain book is a book or book series written by multiple different authors, about the same place and the same people. Just like the old star trek and star wars novels. Not many written by the same author but by multiple different ones
Post your ideas and I might eventually have a nice lineup of characters and a kind of atlas to the place we're looking at. I'd prefer it if this were a Sci-fi book or Fantasy, but i'm open to others, just not mystery or romance please.
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline WeAreWriters

• My two babies ^_^
    • We Are Writers
Re: Chain Book!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »
ooo, fantasy book...
I may help- depending on if it will work and time permitting my other novels :)

Offline deepika

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »
oh wow.
i wouldnt mind doing a fantasy book!
luv me
--x--

Offline traveller

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:29:36 PM »
This sounds great - I'd love to work on this kind of project, though I'm guessing that sections by different writers would need to be written consecutively as opposed to simultaneously to avoid conflict. So that each person could be in for a long wait before getting to work on their own story using the established characters. How are you planning to work this? The authors as a group deciding on plot lines and character conflicts or simply picking up from the completed story of the previous writer etc?
Either way it sounds like it could be a fantastic collaboration!
Danni  :)

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
That depends. If we decide to write different books with the same people and places, then we wouldn't have to collaborate, save the standard meeting telling how each book is going. If we decide to do chapter by chapter, each person submitting their own character, then it might take a while, but well worth it in the end. I also want feedback on story lines, give me sum and I can write them down, save them and we can use them later.
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline Ohshortestone

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:17:51 PM »
sounds fun ;D how a about physcic teenage girl who can see the future of other people in her sleep and they haunt her until she meets a boy that she likes a lot and sees him in her sleep getting into a car crash and when she tries to stop it from happening because she loves him, shes in the car accident :( but its just an idea ;) if you dont use that one i think i might

Offline pjtudor

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 01:22:40 AM »
Sounds like fun

Offline pjtudor

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:27:13 AM »
Hey Ohshortestone,
That sounds a bit like Medium were Alison can see people who are danger

Offline Ohshortestone

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »
ive seen that show before on tv but i never bothered to really watch it, is it any good? and if not it could always be changed ;) i dont think ill participate in the chain book but my idea stands!

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
I wouldn't mind doing fantasy, as long as it isn't the "Lord of the Ring" kind.
There would have to be some strict guidlines as to what each character is capable of and about the society they live in.

The Star Trek series had very strict guidelines.

Tyger

Offline traveller

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 03:02:09 PM »
True, Tyger. We'd have to update one another regularly on new interactions between characters too to maintain continuity between relationships/character histories etc. Else we'll end up with a hundred emails pointing out that in Book One A and B were still married but in Book Three, set three years later, they've been divorced for seven years. Star Trek receives (still) a hell of a lot of fan mail but a lot of the early mail was picking them up on similar inconsistencies... including a problem with the necells (yup, I'm a nerd) and a difference in the noise of the doors. We'd have to be fairly tight with the details to create a chain book/series.

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »
I wouldn't mind doing fantasy, as long as it isn't the "Lord of the Ring" kind.
There would have to be some strict guidlines as to what each character is capable of and about the society they live in.

The Star Trek series had very strict guidelines.

Tyger

Actually LoTR and all good fantasy have strict guidelines.

One of the hardest genres to write imo.  Normal books the universe exists, we know what we can and can't do.

SciFi/Fantasy the universe has to be created, along with all the rules governing it.  Poor implementation of the genres is when the writers don't stick with what they invented, magic and advanced technology are not a 'get out of jail free card', but part of good story telling.

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:15:10 PM »
You misunderstand me, WB, I didnt' imply that LOTR doesn't have strict guidelines.
I just don't like writing that kind of story.  :)

What I meant: If we are to write several books with the same characters and in the same universe, we will have to coordinate what each character is supposed to be and how the universe acts toward the characters.

I like writing fantasy because I like creating a universe. It's part of its appeal. The normal world is too boring for me... ;)

Tyger

Offline WCA

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 04:17:36 AM »
AAH!!!! It's good to be back in the open in Writers Circle...

I feel rejuvenated... LOL!  :D

Anyway, I'm with you people with the chain book.
I must propose however, that rules won't do well with me. If we're to write an exotic Fantasy book then I think its primary ingredient should be: Potasium Exoticum.
Which of course is made up of some mystery and romance and other things...

What do you say?
Let us not make it too, sub-genre-based, but the more seasoning it gets the more beautifully it drifts.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:36:03 AM by WCA »

Offline Tyger

• Tyger Writes Fiction
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 09:07:18 AM »
Ah, always the rebel, eh?

Think about it though...the reader wants continuation, so if the same character keeps changing from book to book he/she will likely lose interest.

I read many Star Trek TOS books and loved how each book delved deeper into the character's personality, without truly changing anything about the people I had come to care about.

We know those characters from the movies and series, but if we create a whole new set, as matsamu proposes, we will have to make some basic decisions as to who each character is capable of being or else chaos!

Glad you're back WCA, where were you?

Tyger