Author Topic: motivation or...  (Read 1399 times)

Offline silver

• mystery attracts
motivation or...
« on: July 06, 2006, 02:29:32 PM »
hi everyone, i don't have any idea about book publishing and writing. i guess my best weapon in the writing arsenal is just that i love writing about short interesting stories and lots of great book ideas. i've tried a couple of times to write a whole book but as always stop half way. i really need some advice on where to start form again because its so depressing as i everytime i get a bust of pretty good ideas i alway remember that i didn't do any good with the last :'(... i really need some to motivate to start again maybe thistime might make somethign good out of it.
thnx
silver.
silver

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: motivation or...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:46:16 PM »
silver,

Why not start with some very short stories? Go on - have a go at the in-house challenge currently running in the Coffee Shop. It's extremely short and might be just the thing to give you a little confidence in getting words onto paper again.

After that - I'd stick to short stories just for a few weeks. Try and get some of your ideas onto paper - even your 'novel' ideas. You could use them for short stories and expand on them at a later date. For now, you really need to write. The only way to increase your confidence is to write, write, write. Some - or most - of it will be absolute rubbish, but who cares? Words onto paper should be your primary aim. Do some speed-writes. Some flashes. You might find the grain of an idea there to make into something slightly bigger. Post a couple of paragraphs (no more) on the review board. If they're terrible, you'll be able to instantly pick up on what's wrong and start implementing corrections into the rest of your writing. Post again. Try, try and try. Don't lose heart. You have a passion - live it, love it, don't be afraid of it. Have fun with it. You need to have some fun.

Good luck,
Symphony