Author Topic: Capital letters after quotation marks?  (Read 36964 times)

Offline cswillson

Re: Capital letters after quotation marks?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »
I've never seen anything published in the colonies that didn't use two.
C.S.

FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
The thot plickens ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
"If they're gone," she began, "what will become of the eponymous speech marks?"

Excerpt from Memoirs of a Deranged Author circa 1990s

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 05:35:44 AM »
Caring writers will keep small colonies of them in glass tanks next to their processors, milling around in happy confusion like Siamese tadpoles.  Making sure the breed doesn't die out, so that one day, when sanity returns, there will be sufficient breeding stock to meet the needs of the more discerning.

In the meantime they will write small dialogue rich fragments so as to keep the breed true and to weed out any poor stock.

"What?"

"Now."

"Now?"

"Yes.  Now!"

"Really?"

"Really."

"Oh Shit!"

Some truly dedicated writers will even take on the task of breeding apostrophes and exclamation marks, just to keep the line alive.

The die-hard traditionalists will also breed double spaces to follow full stops, and singles to follow commas.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it in the face of the rising tide of boring bloody expediency and 'dumbing down'.   (See, that's the place for single quotes, in a damned quotation, not surrounding speech..

Gyppo - Having fun with punctuation.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline WoodridgeNZ

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 07:43:49 AM »
Just a suggestion re the quotation marks: if you write your work using the usual double speech marks and a publisher wants you to change them to single, it's an easy matter of find-and-replace (in MS Word, at least). You can't do it in reverse, because all your apostrophes will be turned into speech marks (don"t you see).  :)

K

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
Just a suggestion re the quotation marks: if you write your work using the usual double speech marks and a publisher wants you to change them to single, it's an easy matter of find-and-replace (in MS Word, at least). You can't do it in reverse, because all your apostrophes will be turned into speech marks (don"t you see).  :)

K

Good tip :D
Caring writers will keep small colonies of them in glass tanks next to their processors, milling around in happy confusion like Siamese tadpoles.  Making sure the breed doesn't die out, so that one day, when sanity returns, there will be sufficient breeding stock to meet the needs of the more discerning.

In the meantime they will write small dialogue rich fragments so as to keep the breed true and to weed out any poor stock.

"What?"

"Now."

"Now?"

"Yes.  Now!"

"Really?"

"Really."

"Oh Shit!"

Some truly dedicated writers will even take on the task of breeding apostrophes and exclamation marks, just to keep the line alive.

The die-hard traditionalists will also breed double spaces to follow full stops, and singles to follow commas.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it in the face of the rising tide of boring bloody expediency and 'dumbing down'.   (See, that's the place for single quotes, in a damned quotation, not surrounding speech..

Gyppo - Having fun with punctuation.

Do you think there's a government grant for this or perhaps a ministerial position for a speech marks breeder without portfolio?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:41:34 AM by 510bhan »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »
Do you think there's a government grant for this or perhaps a ministerial position for a speech marks breeder without portfolio?

In view of his planned cut-backs I can't see Cameron funding this.  On the other hand he has already appointed several Ministers Without portfolio Brain, so it's still possible :-)

We can live in hope.

Gyppo

Lin

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
Most of the UK novels I read these days are single quotes.  Doubles for the US.

I had to change all my quotes from double as I thought the same as you guys but no, these days its singles for us Brits.

I wouldnt worry about it though - your personal editor at the publishing house will advise.  Plus it's easy to change them with a flick of a switch.  Just check it over afterwards to ensure you haven't inadvertently changed all the apostrophes as well!!  Nightmare!

Lin x