Author Topic: A heartfelt cry Act I scene 4  (Read 688 times)

Offline irallan

• "G'day from WA"
A heartfelt cry Act I scene 4
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:47:24 AM »
Scene 4

(The stage  lightens to a kitchen scene of Caroline's house. There is a long Dining table to the right and a stove fridge sink etc to the left. In the centre of the back wall, dividing the kitchen and dining area is a door. Generic things like a clock and a home sweet home picture are on the wall. Caroline is at the stove preparing meals. She is humming to herself. There is a knock  from the left off-stage and Willbe stumbles in.)

Caroline
“Ahh Willbe, come for your tea have you.”

Willbe
“A feast for a rapacious appetite  ma’am .What will be will be.”

(Tom enters through the door in the centre. He is clean and refreshed in new clothes fresh from a shower.)

Tom
“Ahh so good to get that dust off. Thank you again Caroline it is so lucky for me to find such a nice place on my first day here. Perhaps it was meant to be.”

Willbe
 “What will be will be.”

Caroline
“This is our friend Willbe. Wilbe eats here, buts sleeps out on the streets.”

Tom
 “How are you Willbe ?”

(Willbe ignores Tom and takes the plate of food from Caroline and goes back outside . Leaving Left of stage.)

Tom
“Oh sorry if I upset him.”

Caroline
 “No Tom Willbe only talks to me. His is a tragic story. He lost his two daughters in an accident and he hasn’t forgiven himself since. The drugs and alcohol since have taken their toll I’m afraid. The only words he'll say to strangers are "what will be ..will be"
 ( she is setting the dinning table with plates she has taken from the Kitchen cupboard as she speaks. Tom starts to help her)

Caroline
“Oh thank you Tom.”

Tom
“Surely he cant blame himself for an accident!”

Caroline
”Ahh . There’s accidents and there’s accidents Tom. He was cutting up a fallen tree. He didn’t notice his two twin daughters were playing in the hole where the root was. Tragically when most of the wood was cut the weight of the root forced the stump upright and the two girls were crushed. A tragedy Tom.”
Tom
“The poor fellow!”

Caroline
”Yes and before he could forgive himself the drugs and alcohol did his mind in.”

(At that moment Lisa walks in to the kitchen from left of stage. She looks pleased to see Tom at the Table.)

Lisa
 “Hi Caroline. Oh Tom it looks as though youve joined our little family.?”

Tom
”Yes. Thank you Lisa. Caroline's will suit me well. I sure appreciate this.”

Lisa
 “We all try ‘n’ look out for each other here Tom. It's a harsh world out there.”

Tom
“Yes, sadly more and more it seems so.”

(Caroline has served some dishes and Tom and Lisa settle to eat. There is voice off stage left. "Hey Willbe how ya doing me old friend.?” "What will be will be"  "True words Willbe,  true words, and I, will be skinned if I let Caroline's fine dinner go cold"  While this is being said Caroline unconsciously preens herself and Lisa smiles knowingly. Tom being male is oblivious. Shortly a tall well toned man enters. He is handsome, close cut hair and greying. He is wearing tracksuit pants, joggers and a singlet. He is obviously fit and has clearly been running.)

Danny
 “Poor Willbe ,glad I got rid of that demon years ago.”
( A wide smile lights his face as he addresses Caroline)

Danny
”Ah what a divine smell I’m smellin’ my sweet Caroline. Another feast for us poor souls you tender so well? Heaven sent us an angel and we said that wasn't good enough so then he sent us you.”

Caroline
“Oh Danny you smooth talking Irish ham, you don’t need to butter me up you have already  paid for your meal. You do go on. (Pause) So a good day?

Danny
 “Everyday is a good day Caroline, but yes, finally got funding for the gym equipment at the hall so we can start our programs for the kids.”

Caroline
“That is great. Those poor street urchins have nowhere to go .Hopefully this will get some of them of the streets.”

Tom  
“Kids living on the streets? Where are their parents or government orphanages?”

Caroline
”Oh Danny this is Tom, our new tenant down the end. Tom, Danny lives with us as well. There are two others but they are up Grange way for a few weeks getting the oranges in.”

Danny
“Pleased to meet you Tom. Oh, where the reality so simple. The so called government services are inadequate and too many fall through the cracks. Most come from abusive homes,
sexual, physical and emotional. Some of the stories these urchins have to tell are just heartbreaking Tom.”

Tom
“I should count my blessings then, as the home I grew up in was run by the kindest people really. Mary and her Husband Keith were the parents I never had and it seems my saving grace.”

Danny
“Yes Tom that seems to be the key. If you get good kind support, it makes it easier to rise above your past.”

Tom
“I must say Danny you look very fit.”.

Danny
( with a cheeky grin.)
”Well Tom with all the woman my age becoming cougars, I 've got to do all I can to keep up with young blood like you me lad.”

Caroline
“Danny! What rubbish comes out of your mouth and mind sometimes.”

Danny
(continues as though he didn’t hear Caroline)
“It's not fair Tom I tell you. All the woman 20 years older than me look like my mother. It’s so not fair. When I was your age Tom all the girls wanted an older man. Now they all want a younger one. What am I to do Tom .What is a man to do?”

(Danny's Face is at first mock seriousness and then breaks into a smile,)

Caroline
 “Ignore him Tom .Never serious this man.”
(She pauses. Looking at Danny with something of pride in her look.)

Caroline
“Unless it's to do with them urchins.”

Lisa
“Oh you two danc’n’ ‘ round like ya do”

Danny
(Rather quieter and serious)
“Yes well I best be getting off to a shower before I eat.”

Caroline
(rather quickly )
“That load of washing must be ready by now”.

(They both disappear through the centre door. Lisa and Tom are alone. There is a period of silence. Not exactly nervous.  More awkward.  Tom is wolfing his meal as any hungry lad. Lisa is picking at hers. Both steal shy glances while the other isn’t looking. Eventually Tom speaks.”

Tom  
"Did you do well today with your flowers.?"

Lisa
"No not that well today . The office men must have behaved themselves last night."

(she giggles)

Tom
 (smiling)
 " Got to keep those girlfriends and wives happy hey?"

Lisa
" What work are you looking for.? I hear they are looking for workers at the pallet factory."

Tom
"Can't be fussy in my boat .Thanks I'll go and ask tomorrow. Can you tell me where it is?"

Lisa
" I'll walk you there if you like. I’ve got nothing to do in the morning."

(Lisa grabs her plate and moves to the sink at the far left. Tom still sits at the dining table )

Tom
" That will be great"
 ( he says to her retreating back. )

(Tom continues eating, but is more pecking now too. Lisa begins to wash some dishes. The centre lighting fades but spotlights come on to highlight both Lisa and Tom.
Tom is looking down at his food. Lisa looks across at him.)

Lisa  

"His eyes of Hazel brown
so soft, draw me in
his warm and gentle smile
that promises love within

Dare I dream? Lest I hope
for a love to fill this hole
Perchance, maybe somewhere
Solace heals a worthless soul"

Lisa looks back to the dishes and Tom now looks up and across at Lisa..

Tom  

"I’ve not seen
A fairer face
Natural beauty
subtle grace

A fool I’d be
for one as fair
that I’d deserve
Her loving care"

Tom Goes back to his pecking. Lisa looks across again.

Lisa  

" His frame, broad and manly  
Offers loving embrace
And strong well-built arms
Promise a safer place

Dare I dream, lest I hope
for a love to fill this hole
that perchance, there maybe
Someone, for a worthless soul"

The dance continues and Lisa returns to her dishes as Tom looks up.

Tom

"Yet I dream a dream
A thought best not heard
I could not give the cloud
Such an angel deserved

A fool I’d be
for one as fair
That I’d deserve
Her loving care"

Again the two change their respective focus.

Lisa

"Yet when all I've known
At the hands of men
Filth, pain, disgust
challenge to  trust again.

Dare I dream, lest I hope
For a love to fill this hole
Perchance, someone somewhere, [said quickly half syllables]
will heal a worthless soul"

Lisa's light fades and only Tom remains.

Tom

"Her life it seems
so trouble-filled
I a simple man
In love, unskilled

A fool I'd be
for one as fair
that I’d deserve
her loving care"

Music and light fades.............End of Act 1
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:51:19 AM by irallan »
"You can take the boy out of the country...."