Author Topic: A heartfelt cry Act I Scene 3  (Read 853 times)

Offline irallan

• "G'day from WA"
A heartfelt cry Act I Scene 3
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »

Scene 3

(The stage re-lights to a residential street scene. To the left of the stage is a picket fence, with many pickets broken or missing, bordering what looked like once a garden but now over run with weeds. Facing the audience at the back running from left to middle/right of the stage are small narrow two story houses about three of them with steps and railings leading to a front door and one window  on each. Each adjoined to the other. There are up turned bins and near the steps and the doors are shabby and the windows dirty some boarded. On the steps of one house a young man about 15/16 is sitting with a girl about the same age . The boy is dressed in dark tshirt and blue denim jeans. The girl  hunched and quietly listening to the boy.  Who is exaggerating another of his journeys into the city.  She has a plain long skirt on it is clean but well worn. At the right of the stage is a porch of a slightly larger house. It is still neatly painted and with flowers in a flower pots hanging down. A neatly dressed lady is raking leaves on a small strip of lawn at the front of the porch. She is around 40 years of age. Long honey brown hair falls to the midway of her back, tied loosely halfway in a bow. She has a happy demeanour and is humming softly to her self.

Tom enters from the left of stage, between the rows of houses and the run down garden. He sees the two on the steps and approaches them.)

Tom
 “Good morning, sorry to trouble you, but I'm looking for a 'Caroline's House'”

Johnny
  (Quite surly with a dark look to his face slightly bending forward.)
“ ‘N’ who’re you to be ask’n’ ?”

Tom
“ Tom is my name bloke. I'm new in town. I was told that I could get accommodation at Caroline's House “

Johnny
 “ Oh yeah ‘n’ who'd be telling you such as that mmmhh.??”

Tom
 “Lisa, the flower girl by the subway. We were chatting earlier and she suggested I try.”

Johnny
 “ Mmmm Lisa did, did she. Well she must have seen someth’n’ in you to say that.”
( The boy put his hand to his face as though thinking.)

Johnny
”Well  don't know any Caroline's here,” (PAUSE) “Maybe the next street hey ,

Cecillia
 ( Looks up at Tom for the first time and then quickly down the street raising a skinny finger and pointing towards the lady raking.)
 “That's Caroline and her house there “.
( She then looks down again.).

Johnny
“Cecilia why'd a do that. I wanted have some fun. I woulda told him.”

Cecilia
“You shouldn't be cruel Johnny. If Lisa says he's all right, then he's ok.!”

Johnny
“Can't be too careful but can ya? What about the last bloke stealing our stuff and going to the factory for his daily hit of the hammer. And what was that loonies name that kept getting blind drunk every cheque day huh..!”

Cecilia
“ That's just a few, most times Caroline picks ‘em right. She' ll know what's what ‘bout him”

Tom
“Well thank you Cecilia most helpful and Johnny mate, don't worry, drugs and the bottle have no hold on me. Thank you and I'll leave you to it.”

(Tom turns and walks towards Caroline's House.)

Tom
“Hello, uh,  Hi, sorry to trouble you. Are you Caroline? “

Caroline
 (Stops her raking and looks up at Tom, smiling and pleasant.)
 “ Yes. Yes I am .Can I help you?”

Tom
“ Yes. I was talking to Lisa earlier and she said you might have a spare room.? My name is Tom, Tom Hendry”

Caroline
“Well Tom Hendry nice to meet you, and what brings you here then?”

Tom
“ I am up from the country. I’m afraid opportunities are limited for the likes of me there and so I am here to try my luck. Thought I'd get a job first and then try and study at nights or something.”

Caroline
“ Well thing's are tight, but there's work if your prepared to look and aren't to fussy. Well good on you, what study have you in mind then?”

Tom
“Well  I've all ways loved dinosaurs and all things old when I was at school so archaeology I'm thinking. I did well at school, just no future back home for that.”

Caroline
“Well your taking on a mouth full that's for sure. If Lisa  was of a mind to send you then best we give you a try then ok. Itstwo hundred dollars per week.Ok?. Up front. You get fed and a tidy room to yourself, plus I do your washing for you. It's easier and more organised that way. Are you going to be able to afford that then?”

Tom
“Oh yes, I have worked all my life and have put aside a little, they don’t pay you much for being a grunt back home. I 'd say with being careful I've enough to last a couple of months.”

(With that Tom pulled out his wallet and began counting out some money. Johnny who had started to walk over spies Tom's full wallet and is instantly keen .)

Johnny
“Hey mate give us a fifty then hey, pay back on Thursday when the unemployment comes in.”

Cecilia
(Who had been following Johnny and pulls half heartedly at Johnny’s arm.)
” Johnny don't be a cadge. C'mon lets get to the salvo's truck before all the good cakes are gone.”

Johnny
“What's wrong, I'm good for it, I'll pay him back.”

Caroline
“Yes Johnny, trouble is you borrow more than you get and we don't see you for a fortnight. Fair warning to you Tom don't lend money to this one. He' a good one at heart, but wild. Also don't be flashing that wallet so. There's many around here would take that from you in a flash.”

(Caroline looks at Cecilia and gently takes her face in hand and inspects her face.)

Caroline
”Hmm those bruises are going down well ,Has your dad been hitting you again dear?”

(Celia looks down)

Caroline
”Thought so ,”

Tom
 ( Indignantly.)
“ Your father hit you? That's disgusting why do you stay. Report him. No man should hit a girl, or woman .”

Caroline
 “ Oh if it was only as easy as that Tom. Celia has three little sisters and brothers. If the services come in they'll just split them up and she'll never see them again. Her mother took off years ago and she has raised them herself these past four years. Eating at the Salvo’s tonight again.?”

Celia
(More confident and brighter now with Caroline there.)
”Yes they have cakes and custards there. Molly's ’n’ Milly's favourite. Every th’n’s little Jacks favourite. The lady there on a Thursday night lets us take seconds home, if there's enough. C'mon Johnny lets go.”

Caroline
”Yes, well Tom grab your bag and we'll get you settled in. Your’s is the door at the end of the corridor. Take care you two and Johnny stay out of trouble...Please.?..”.

(Caroline and Tom Enter the house. Johnny and Celia start to walk to the left of stage. Celia grabs Johnny and pulls him up centre stage)

Celia
“Johnny, I don't want you to do any steal’n’ or someth’n’ stupid like, tonight ..!!Please Johnny!”

Johnny
“Why do you care if I takes what I can from those who can well afford it. Huh? They don't care about us. Done noth’n’ but put me down”

Celia
“Steal’n's wrong Johnny. Just because you and I have been wronged doesn't make it right for us to do so. That's not what worries me so much Johnny. If you get caught, I'll have no one Johnny and that scares me. So please... Please..Promise me, you wont.!”

(Johnny moves towards her arms outstretched draws her toward him and tenderly wraps his arms around her.)

Celia                                                     
"You are my only rock
My one true certainty
In this hell on earth
Lighting the days for me

Please don't leave me..."

Johnny
"You are the spring flowers
giving this life colour
A gentle guiding angel
Lifting, taking me higher

Here I'll always be.."

Celia
 "  I don't know what i'd do..Please don't leave me..."

Johnny 
"Always beside you..Here I’ll always be..."

Celia 
"Please don't leave me..."

Johnny
"Here I'll always be...."

Celia
"Your hands so gentle.
Your mind so quick
Al way’s gotten me
through Thin and Thick

Please don't leave me.."

Johnny
"To be near all that is you
The beautiful,loving splendour
The kind ,gentle,warming soul
To you my heart, I render

Here I'll always be..."

Celia
 "  I don't know what I’d do..Please don't leave me..."

Johnny
"Always beside you..Here I’ll always be..."

Celia 

Johnny
"Here I'll always be..."

Celia
"I don't know what I’d do
Not to see your cheeky grin
Nor hear another bent tale
Of things done,places b'in.

Please..don't Leave me..."

Johnny

"I'll be here forever more
for you to scold,to berate
Forever telling me off
for forever being late

Here I'll always be.."

Celia
  " I don't know what I’d do..Please don't leave me..."

Johnny 
"Always beside you. Here I’ll always be..."

Celia

Johnny
"Here I'll always be..."

(From left of stage the drunk from earlier stumbles in. He has the typical bottle in a brown bag and swigs at it. He is singing a child’s lullaby. “ Hush little baby “softly to himself.)

Johnny
"Ah Willbe what are we drink’n’ this even’n’?  Port ?  Whiskey? Mmm? Well its way past cheque day, so probably metho hey? I heard orange juice goes well with that!"

Celia
"Johnny leave Willie be . He does no harm to any one. Honestly how can you be so nice one moment and so mean the next. You make me wonder Johnny!"

Johnny
"Well I just don’t like drunks. Yours Dad’s  one and look what he does to you. I will break him one day for what he does to you.."

Celia
" They’re not all like my father Johnny. Most are just lost poor souls, that have suffered like you and I ."

Johnny
"Well you don't see me runn’n’ to the bottle or drugs. They are weak, ‘s all I c’n say.."

Celia
"Huh Johnny, who knows where you would have been if it wasn't for Danny. He pulled you of the streets all those years ago and gave you a chance. There ‘re many who don't get that. You should be thankful and feel for people like poor old Willbe. I Know I'd be lost with out you and Caroline ."

Johnny
"Yeah I know, ‘s just me dad.... Oh com’n lets hurry and get them cakes for your sisters ‘n’ brother."

(Johnny takes Celia's hand and they walk of stage past the garden and houses.
Willbe who had been sitting on the steps of one of the houses gets up and stumbles his way forward to centre of the stage front. He stops and bows his head. The backing light slowly fades and a spotlight centring him lightens. He then looks up and his character is now as a sober man he sings /speaks with a remarkable strong voice and appears almost the man he could’ve been.)

Willbe

"Two little Diamonds
Two beautiful girls
Two lovely daughters
Two shiny pearls.

Bring back my daughters to me
lost forever
lost forever to me

Two shining lights
Two knots in a rope
Two little angels 
Two glimmers of hope

lost for ever
lost forever to me

Two drops of honey dew
Two beautiful flowers
Two gracious souls
 too many lonely hours

Lost forever
Lost forever to me
The music and light fades....

"You can take the boy out of the country...."

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: A heartfelt cry Act I Scene 3
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:43 AM »
Hi Iain - just picked this up, don't know how I missed them. I'll look at Sc4 too and send you copies by PM with SPaGs.

Probably later tonight or tomorrow.