Author Topic: Books of 2005  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Books of 2005
« on: December 21, 2005, 04:24:32 AM »
Most writers are also keen readers. So I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about books you have most enjoyed reading this year (not necessarily first published in 2005). I'm hoping to gain a few good recommendations from members for my reading pleasure in 2006! To kick off, here are a few from me.

The Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb (Voyager paperbacks)

I'm not normally a big fan of 'pure' fantasy - on some level I prefer my fiction to be connected to a reality I recognise. However, I make an exception for the American author Robin Hobb. She writes beautifully, and her characters really do come to life as you read about them. Her world is described with vigour and imagination, and there is also a strong and intriguing plot which compels you to go on reading from chapter to chapter, book to book. What more do you want from fiction?

The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks (Random House)

This is a first novel by an author who prefers to remain a man of mystery. If you can get through the slightly shaky first chapter or two, it really is a terrific, imaginative conspiracy thriller. The book should be out in paperback in 2006, so I recommend buying it then. It has film, TV and computer game rights written all over it. Just one word of warning, though - don't expect all the loose ends to be tied up by the end of the book. I would guess that this is the start of a trilogy or longer.

Painter Man by Jeff Phelps (Tindal Street Press)

OK, so I'm biased, as Jeff is a friend of mine, and the book is set in the part of Britain where I live. However, this is another of the titles I most enjoyed in 2005. Painter Man is the story of an aspiring artist, Malcolm, who tries to follow his dreams while also supporting his young wife and family, set against the backdrop of the industrial Black Country. It is a gentle, wryly humorous novel, with some surprising twists and turns.

Finally, a quick nomination for my most disappointing book of the year: Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I know this book is well regarded in some circles, but though it is competently written I found it dull and plodding. None of the characters came to life for me, and I found the twin-stranded narrative (the book is partly set in 2005, partly in Medieval times) frustrating - just as I was starting to get interested in one story, we switched to the other strand and all the momentum was lost. I also think Labyrinth is at least a third too long. Onviously, that's just my view, but this is not a book I can ever envisage re-reading.

OK, so that's me. What about your favourite (and maybe least favourite) reads this year?

Nick GM

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Wigglyworm

Re: Books of 2005
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:56:42 AM »
Hi,

I read again this year, 'Life of Pi', by Yann Matel.

I love this story, it's so uplifting and well written.  I'd recommend it to all. 

This is also a good lesson to all of us too.  I thought the story was so original, a young boy in a liferaft with a Tiger.  How did he come to think up such an original story idea!  I was so impressed I decided to see if Yann had posted anything on the net saying what was his inspiration.  I was both shocked and pleased to see it's not an original story idea at all, he took the idea from another writer, about a young Jewish boy in a small boat with a black panther, it too had religion as a key part of the book.

I must admit, I don't think anyone could come up with a truly new idea any more...  :o  ;D

Worm
If you can't be a sun, don't be a cloud.

BiancaMiller13

Re: Books of 2005
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 04:33:08 PM »
I saw that Worm and failed to pick it up.  I must get next time I trudge to my little library, which in fact hosts a lot of great books.

I read so much this year and I must apologize I tend to be random when it comes to genre.

I just completed the new Anne Rice: Christ the Lord I believe it was titled.  An excellently interesting tale, if one is to just take it as that and not be offended by anything it may stand for...to many religious politics.

I also and holding onto Amy Tan's new creation: Saving fish from Drownng.  I beleive she has wonderful character's right from the start, one's you can feel breathing down your neck as they stand over you shoulder, reading as you read.  She as this great note to the readers that explains how she came across the ideas for this story and it just shows how your next great book can indeed come from a mishap you choose to investigate.

I have also read the norm...Harry Potter # 5 as many already have!!!

OH how can I forget, I reread for the umpteenth time CS Lewis's children classic: The Chronicles of Narina.  I just truly have always enjoyed the simplicity of the novels and shared them with my son for the first time. ( Went and saw the Movie today as a matter of fact.  Breathtaking!!!  best part got in for just a food donation.  Love living in a small town. )  These stories always groud me as a writer because it shows me that a simple story can in fact be spectacular... now if only my extravegent muse would get that through her head!!

I'm sure a slew of others will come pouring through my brain here in a bit.

I am always on the search for new Fantasy stories if anyone has read a good one.  Heck I'll even try a not so good one too, just to support...and critique  Hee Hee... and fellow genre writer.