Author Topic: I have a unique question.  (Read 6379 times)

Patron

I have a unique question.
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »
As the subject says; I have a unique question. I am not going to offer it here as I want to explain why I've chosen this location in the forum.
First of all, this question is not about grammar or general writing questions; yet this question involves all of us and does not fall under any other category.
We all can benefit from this question and it's various responses and I truly hope that this question and answer subject can be an enjoyable learning situation to us all.
With all that being said: I want to see the rate of response's to this and then I will introduce this question.

Thank You and Sincerely;

Patron

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: I have a unique question.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:53:29 AM »
We've all got questions in our lives! ;D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:35:18 AM »
It's been a while since you were last here, Patron.  So wheel out the question ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »
It does seem a strange item to post.  If you have a question why not to just ask it?
Don't keep us all waiting.

Lin x

Offline WoodridgeNZ

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:05:09 AM »
Go on. Spit it out! You've got us curious now. We can't really comment on your question until we know what it is.

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
For how long do we remain polite and take this seriously before frustration, boredom or distinterest come into play? Fresh and hot? Stale and cold?  There's always a choice.

Lin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

I have another question. 

Lin x

Offline eric

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Most gracious welcome back, Patron.  And your enquiry old boy?

Lin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »

frustration, boredom or distinterest come into play?

Disinterested or uninterested? Both mean different things.  Please clarify.

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »
disinterest -  interseted but without bias - don't care one way or the other

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »
One thing is clear to me, the question is truelove unique since it seems to be invisible; neither read nor heard.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Patron

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:20:43 AM »

OK. Thank all who read and responded.
First of all however; I need to thank a few lifers. Thank you for the welcome back, as I'm very happy to have returned.

Gyppo, I have truly missed you and your informative and thoughtful insights.

Country4Gal, I've missed you too and I offer congratulations.

eric, thank you for that "most gracious welcome back"

So... the 60,000 dollar question?

Here it is guys and gals.

I've given this some thought.
I've stepped in and out from time to time, wondering how our MWC is coming along. Seems to be doing very well as a matter of fact. This question however, will affect a few and others not. I however, am somewhat troubled though. As many of you know I primarily stay involved in the "Review My Script" section with some dabble in the "Review My Work" area.
I have to say that I'm a Little dismayed. Why? Well here it is.

The big question:

Why is it that when our new members join and offer their work we still seem, (not everybody of course) to offer words and advice and discouragement. I guess the reason I ask this is, maybe I believe a different way. I think we are all here to encourage, and find a way to continue in our path, hoping that maybe one snippet of advice or simply strength together will lead us into the next realm of our endeavors. The negative comments I read, are sadly to say without thought and I see some of our new members, running away. I’ve seen this repeatedly in, (The Review My Script)) section as many of our members are not familiar with this.
I think that we owe ourselves and the new members of this MWC, the opportunity to be heard, whether we like it or not. This is what makes this a truly wonderful place to be and I am proud to be a member and a part of it. 

I think that we owe it to ourselves, our current members and our future generations of members to offer our best and sincere advice in the most respectful way that will continue to encourage those who are struggling or those who are coming up behind us. Please let’s all make a concerted effort together to offer our best reads, advice, comments and thoughts that can help us in this never ending writing endeavor we’ve so chosen. Thank you MWC and all of their staff and moderators, in giving us this wonderful forum and opportunity.

Bye the way, I am happy to be back!

Sincerely;

Patron
 :)

Lin

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 06:52:25 AM »
Just to clarify

Disinterest means to divest of personal interest in a party or person.  Impartiality
Uninterested is being unconcerned about the matter in hand. Not interested.

Your question was valid Patron.

I feel strongly about members running away from MWC, but this is a tough world of writing, one has to become immuned to the slightly negative feel to critique.  We are only doing this to show how important it is to get it right.  If a writer cries buckets each time someone provides a comment then perhaps he should be looking elsewhere.

Writing is tough!  You will get loads of knocks and scrapes along the way.  If it wasn't for you guys out there providing me with some of the scrapes I wouldn't have got this far.  My thanks to everyone.  As one of the first MWC members, I have been here a long time so it must be a good place to be. It's important to have the opportunity to be told that my work is lousy.  Great - I'll put it right. I can go and have a paddy for ten minutes if I want, but I come back with the realisation they were right and I was wrong.  Sometimes they were wrong, but it's all about learning. You can make choices.

Good critique should be balanced and explained before reading the comments in the right hand margins. It's important to understand that if you want critique you are bound to get the feeling that everyone is out to destroy you.  Be brave, this is helpful stuff. You are dealing with many kinds of personalities here.

I have met many of the MWC members in the last couple of years and all of them have been great fun with the same aspirations as myself. What you read on the web site is the not the same as a face to face meeting. The written word is powerful and can often be misinterpreted as being  harsh.

So enjoy your day and keep writing.

Lin x
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:04:01 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:10 AM »
That is a huge question and probably affect many readers/writers on MWC. Newcomers like myself, getting to know the ropes and trying to navigate the site are bombarded with emails notifications to begin with, perhaps the abruptness through writing is only because of the speed of the response and the initial reaction. Most critiques I have seen do offer positive encouragement alongside the 'pointers' offered.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »
Hello Patron. I’m not usually regarded as a complete thicko, but I’m afraid I don’t understand where you are coming from. You started by saying you had a unique question, but wouldn’t say what it was. Now that you have finally got round to sharing it with us, I’m afraid I still have to ask: What is the question?

What you call a question is really a statement — that when new members offer their work, we offer “words and advice and discouragement”. You go on to say that a snippet of advice can lead us “into the next realm of our endeavours”. Is that bad?

If someone posts a piece of writing in Review My Work, or indeed Review My Script, or Poetry, surely they are inviting an appraisal from their fellow writers. If they merely want a showcase for their work, that’s what the Gallery is for.

I can only speak for myself, but I only offer a critique if I feel I can contribute something that I hope will improve the piece, and help the person to become a better writer. That could be a suggestion about the punctuation, or a plea to cut out the purple prose and keep it simple, so that if fulfils my definition of good writing — what a reader understands, enjoys reading, and gains something from.

You appear to be advocating what goes on in some writing groups, which soon fizzle out. Someone reads out what they’ve written, and everyone gushes, “That’s wonderful, you are so clever, you must send it somewhere to be published.” That doesn’t help anyone. It merely encourages them to keep on writing the same old crap, and collecting rejection slips.

So I must ask again: What is this unique question you mentioned?

Hugh
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:58:30 AM by Hugh »