Author Topic: Recommended Published Books...Looking for a good read?  (Read 1116 times)

MrsButler

Recommended Published Books...Looking for a good read?
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »
Hello all my wonderful peers and friends on MYC ...the best writing circle in the world !   :-*

Can anyone tell me if there is a thread on here that recommends good books to read? ???

I'm reading a book at present called "The Bed I Made"  Lucy Whitehouse. So far it's a great read...perhaps more a woman's book but I'd still recommend it to my hubby (who's in touch with his feminine side!!!)

Other books I'd recommend?  Wuthering Heights/Emily Bronte for the romantics, Pillars of the Earth/Ken Follett for those of you who love historical fiction...crime...try Simon Beckett's "Chemistry of death."  

Those of you who want something different ...there is a Swedish writer called Johan Theorin that has 2 books...one of them called the "Darkest Room" can't remember other one!
And if you want something to get your teeth into try an Emile Zola book...Germinal about a group of miners (ironic with what's going on in Chile) is fab!

Come on members of MYC, get recommending now!

Best,

Alison

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:22:11 AM by Foxy »

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
Re: RECOMMENDED PUBLISHED BOOKS...Looking for a good read?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
If it's historical fiction I genuinely do not believe you can do better than Bernard Cornwell's 'Sharpe' series. I am currently devouring that and forcing myself to read other titles in between so I can make the series last!
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

MrsButler

Re: Recommended Published Books...Looking for a good read?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:17:46 AM »
Oooooh thanks for that AJB, never read any of his.
Read plenty of Jean Plaidy and Phillipa Gregory though !
Best,

Alison  ;D

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »
The Sharpe series is set (the first three) during 1797 onwards and features the major conflicts that the British army fought against the Indians. It is not all killing though. It gives a wonderful insight into the class system of the time and has a bit of everything, e.g. love, battles, excellent characters that you can't shake from your mind. Then the series moves on to the Napoleonic wars (with Trafalgur and Copenhagen happening just before).

If you like that sort of thing then it is simply mind blowing.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline JadedMuse

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
Hey All,

I'd recommend anything by Bernhard Schlink; the author who wrote "The Reader" that was converted into a motion picture in 2008. I broke my golden rule with this one and saw the movie first, but I still enjoyed reading the book.  During my cruise trip to Bermuda this summer, I read another of Schlink's books titled "Homecoming", which he wrote in 2007. I actually finished the book during the trip, and that read solidified Schlink as one of my favorite authors.  I'm hoping to get a copy of the new book that just came out called "Weekend". I resisted the urge to pick it up during a reason visit to the bookstore, but I hope to get my hands on a copy soon. 

Well, that's my two cents. . . :)

Andrew

MrsButler

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
Andrew,

Another author to add to my reading list...thanks for sharing that with us.

Best,

Alison    ;D