Poll

What do i include as the professors name in the tittle page of APA sample essay

The name of the freelance writing company
0 (0%)
Nothing should be included
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Please, help put me through with this sample essay  (Read 966 times)

Offline adejodan

Please, help put me through with this sample essay
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
Please help me with this APA  style formatting and the essay. It is a sample essay submitted to a freelance writing company.

The instruction of the essay is:” Write a sample essay on,
Topic: Corruption. Where does it start?

The essay should be two pages long + reference page”.
This is the format that was used for the title page.
Corruption. Where Does it Start? (Title)
Author’s Name:
Professor’s Name:
Course Title:
Date Due:
please, note that all the writings on the title were centralised.

My main questions about the title page are:
1.   Is there any need changing the topic to something else?
2.    In the professor’s name what should I write? Should it be www.thefreelacewritingcompany.com or it should not be included?
3.   Is it correct to write ‘Sample essay’ as the course title?
4.   Should I include the date due, since it was specified by the Admin?

Also, the Running head was written as;
Running head: CORRUPTION. WHERE DOES IT START?
The running head was flushed left while the page number was right.
My questions about the Running head are;
1.   Is it wrong to include Punctuation marks such as comma in the running head?
2.   How can I insert the running head on the other pages apart from the title page without including ‘Running head’? This is because each time ‘Running head: CORRUPTION. WHERE DOES IT START? ’ is inserted as the header, it gets automatically added to all the pages.  

The body of the essay is below,  Please help me access it

Introduction
   Corruption is the misuse of power and authority for private gain. Transparency International defines corruption as “the abuse of entrusted power for private gain” (¶ 1). There are various forms of corruption which include bribery, fraud, nepotism, embezzlement, extortion, cronyism, influence peddling and appropriation of public assets for private use. Major causes of corruption are selfishness, greed and undue quest for wealth. The society bears the brunt of corruption in the form of adverse effect on government budget and violation of economic gain.

Recent study shows that corruption is practiced mostly in political and public offices in the form of political, administrative and judicial corruption. Commenting on corruption and politics Myint (2004) stated that, “allegations and charges of corruption now play a more central role in politics than at any other time” (p. 1). Public office corruption is the abuse of public offices by officers through kleptocracy, bribery, ‘ghost’ payment, misuse of funds and procurement fraud. Political corruption is the abuse of political power to influence the formulation of laws, policies and regulations to the detriment of the citizens. Administrative corruption is practiced mostly in public offices to gratify the insatiable financial needs of some corrupt public officers who throw honesty, service, merit and institutional integrity to the wind.

The influence of corruption on the society is manifold; it leads to mismanagement of public administration, class discrimination, pervasion of justice and economic monopoly by corrupt individuals. Through the mismanagement of public administration, corrupt officials facilitate the unauthorized transfer of state revenue to foreign banks for personal gratification or group interest. This leads to shortage of funds required for investment, economic development, and empowerment of the masses. Infrastructural development, the bedrock of economic development is also stunted by corruption due to the unavailability of resources required to facilitate production and foster economic growth. The delivery of government aids and services to its citizens is also crippled by corruption hereby bringing untold hardship to citizens of corrupt Countries.

A proposed solution to eliminate corruption is necessary to emancipate the citizens and foster their economic well being. As a deterrent, a strict bill should be passed with provision for severe punishment of corrupt officials and individuals. Government officials and lawmakers should take the sole responsibility of curbing corruption as supported by Church and Elms (2007, p.6) “those in the government are the ‘right’ people to be effective in combating corruption”.  Public offices should be audited regularly to ensure that all corrupt practices are brought to book and the perpetrators face wrath of the law. If this is implemented, corruption will reduce to the minimum.

Conclusion    
   Corruption is the misuse of authority and gross abuse of power by individuals for private gain. Corrupt individuals and officials are usually motivated by greed, selfishness and the desire to amass wealth. Diverse setbacks such as mismanagement of public funds, stunted economic growth and a lower standard of living for the citizens are associated with corruption. Due to the pleasure derived from corruption by those involved, it is unlikely that they will shun the heinous practice without a deterrent. The government should therefore, get involved in curbing corruption by enacting laws that with severe punishment for offenders to deter people and in the process reduce its occurrence.  

Thanks a million.

Offline LRSuda

Re: Please, help put me through with this sample essay
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
I wish I could be of more help with this but creative writing vastly differs from academic writing so, the best I can do is to suggest that you comb the web for examples of this type of essay or, perhaps, find a fellow student in this class who is willing to let you see how he or she handled it.

Sorry, wish I could have been of more help.

Lisa

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 05:57:51 AM »
Adejodan -

Let me address your questions one at a time before we get into the content of the essay. Bear in mind that I'm no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. (American joke - :) )

If you are using the APA 6th Edition Style Guide, it does contain a number of errors. It may be worth a trip to the bookstore for an updated version or you can review the error and omission list here.

1. First, if it's an assignment, you can't change the topic. You could change the title to something more creative as long as you stayed on topic. Seems like a lot of work for little gain.

2. If you don't know the professor's name, omit that line. APA style demands the title be centered about halfway down the page. Skip two spaces and add your name, centered. Here you would normally skip two more spaces and add your institutional affiliation. Since you don't have any, the course title and due date will suffice to fill this role.

3. "Sample Essay" is fine.

4. Yes.

Header...
1. You include whatever punctuation marks appear in your title.

2. The words "running head" should never appear anywhere on your paper. You are taking the examples too literally. "Corruption. Where Does It Start?" is all that should appear in your header. It will be the same on each page.

In the first paragraph of your essay, you use the word private three times and the word gain twice. Find a different way to express yourself here. It comes off as being repetitive.

In the second paragraph, you quote someone named Myint. In the first instance of quoting someone, use the full name and institutional affiliation. (Nikolas Win Myint of the World Bank blah blah blah.) Afterwards, should you have occasion to reference the same person, using only the surname is fine.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline MiaWi

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
My deadline was so closed and made me nervous! But these guys managed to do my homework for me on time, and I got A for it! Many thanks!!!

Offline PIJ1951

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »
My deadline was so closed and made me nervous! But these guys managed to do my homework for me on time, and I got A for it! Many thanks!!!

. . .except, you didn't get an A for it. They did. Cheats never prosper.

Offline Katedavis

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Need a true Canadian Writings review? Go to this website and read a honest overview of this writing platform with detailed information about the service quality.