Author Topic: Nano 2010  (Read 137393 times)

Offline thatollie

Nano 2010
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »
My oh my, its only nearly two months until November 1st and we haven't started the annual Nano thread. Well, I'm here to fix that. For those that don't know, I'll post a brief synopsis of the challenge.

National Novel Writing Month

Nanowrimo (as it is often called) or Nano, is a yearly challenge run by The Office of Letters and Light. It's free to enter, although donations to it's charity projects and purchase of it's awesome merchandise are welcomed. The challenge: to write a 50,000+ word novel (or shorter projects adding up to 50,000+ words) in a single month, specifically the month of November.

Where to go: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

So, which old hands are participating, and which newbies are getting snared in the challenge.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:52:53 AM by thatollie »
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline kk

• Sweetwater Lane
Re: Nano 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:42 AM »
Hey Ollie,

I'm in!  Last year was my first and I am just now finishing the first revisions to that novel. My plan is to get
those revisions out to readers for feedback while I write a second one this November. Looking forward to
it. Yeah, getting up at 4:30 am, ignoring my husband for most of a month, living on coffee and M&Ms, yeah
should be great  ;)

kk
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:24:58 AM »
I have told myself I'm not doing it this year.  Whether I'll manage to convince myself is another issue entirely.  Last year I wasn't going to come out and play, and started a day late.

NANO is as much an adrenaline sport as writing.

If the old warhorse of inspiration hears the distant bugles, sees a faint gleam of sabres in the morning mist, or smells gunpowder who knows what will happen?

But two months is too far away to even seriously think about it yet.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

twisted wheel

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:30:41 AM »
i'm not in this year but good luck to everyone else.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »
I have told myself I'm not doing it this year.  Whether I'll manage to convince myself is another issue entirely.  Last year I wasn't going to come out and play, and started a day late.

NANO is as much an adrenaline sport as writing.

If the old warhorse of inspiration hears the distant bugles, sees a faint gleam of sabres in the morning mist, or smells gunpowder who knows what will happen?

But two months is too far away to even seriously think about it yet.

Gyppo

We could co-write. You're allowed to do that.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »
Nothing personal, Ollie, but that idea doesn't appeal at all.  To me writing is very much an individual endeavour, despite the way we writers play around with each other's characters in The Station.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline kelly

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »
I would like to try it.  What if what you have written doesn't make any sense at all. 
It would be a good way of getting out of the rut I have been in and sounds fun too.
I just worry that what I write might sound like gobbeldygook.
xx :-[

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:38 PM »
Some NANO novels are just goobledegook, but a lot of them start to make sense part way through and may later be polished into something good.  The thing is, you don't have to share it with anyone else if you don't want to.

For some people it's great fun, and for others it can start to seem like a complete waste of time part way through.

The one thing all finishers have in common is that they will then know they can write 50,000 words or more within 30 days.  That alone can be a useful psychological boost later when another project seems a bit overwhelming.  It's less than 2000 words per day, but doing this day after day after day will teach you about writer's stamina if nothing else.

It works on the honour system, although you do submit the entire novel for word count verification.  If you cheat by adding in pages of repetition - which the counter will not identify as 'filler' - you are only fooling yourself.

Gyppo

Offline kelly

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »
Well Gyppo you answered my little niggles inside my head.  I am going to have a go and see what happens will keep you posted.
thanks
xx ;D ;D ;D

twisted wheel

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »
Some NANO novels are just goobledegook, but a lot of them start to make sense part way through and may later be polished into something good.  The thing is, you don't have to share it with anyone else if you don't want to.

For some people it's great fun, and for others it can start to seem like a complete waste of time part way through.

The one thing all finishers have in common is that they will then know they can write 50,000 words or more within 30 days.  That alone can be a useful psychological boost later when another project seems a bit overwhelming.  It's less than 2000 words per day, but doing this day after day after day will teach you about writer's stamina if nothing else.

It works on the honour system, although you do submit the entire novel for word count verification.  If you cheat by adding in pages of repetition - which the counter will not identify as 'filler' - you are only fooling yourself.

Gyppo

agreed

Offline thatollie

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »
I'm not even sure if I'll do it yet.

Offline eric

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
I'm thinking about doing it.   :P

Offline thatollie

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Go on eric, by the end we'll both be so mentally exhausted that we can have a meaningless conversation.

Offline eric

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
I am so well practiced at that I am well practiced at that, so .........

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:48:00 PM by eric »

Offline thatollie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
Let's just have not one now then shan't we, good sirer.