Author Topic: Help with publishing a children's poem/picture book  (Read 12077 times)

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Help with publishing a children's poem/picture book
« on: January 22, 2006, 05:18:06 AM »
Hello,

Having been delightfully surprised with the most marvellous comments on my children's poem The Underbeasts (posted in the Review section), I feel I should capitalise on this and give this poem a chance in the publishing world.

I wonder could anyone suggest where I might submit it? I'm not interested in self-publishing (been there, done that, never again) but would love to give this a try. I've done some research in this area and I know some publishers don't want rhyming poetry and others might consider it too long ... I'm also more than well aware of the small chance it'll have with competition so fierce.

I'd be extremely grateful for any help from those of you who have experience in this area,

Thank you very much,

Symphony

Lin

Re: Help with publishing a children's poem/picture book
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:27:45 AM »
Have you seen the Writer's and Artists Year book?  They have a web site http://www.writersservices.com/mag/m_writers_artists_yearbook.htm  There are loads of publishers in there for you, maybe you can search around and see if there is anything which suits.  Ill try and help you on this one as much as I know, and yes its just a case now of finding the right people.  It will be an interesting exercise for me too so keep in touch.

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:44:23 AM »
Thanks, Lin,

Yes, I've got that book - and the Children's Writers and Ilustrators one, too. I'm going to go through them this week and make a list of possibilities. It's just such a needle-in-the-haystack affair, though, isn't it?

I'll certainly keep you posted ...

Symphony  ;D

Lin

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 08:37:09 AM »
Well before I met up with Suzie I tried a couple of Agents in the book who wanted to take me on - well that's not surprising but from there I now know how to proceed, but yes I agree with you.

Lin

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »
Just a thought, but you might be interested in an e-book by published children's author Robyn Opie titled 'How to Write a Great Children's Book'. This covers both writing and marketing a children's book, and you also get a free copy of Opie's own book 'Black Baron'. It's available as an instant download from http://tinyurl.com/bs86n.

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »
Thanks, Nick. I'll hop along there later today and have a look,

Symphony

Offline Mini

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:19:13 AM »
Hi Synphony,

Assuming you're from my side of the pond, you could try Usbourne books. They accept unsolicited work.

They have a website, (but I haven't yet learnt how to hyperlink things).  www.fiction.usborne.com.

Good Luck,

Mini

Offline Sheree

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 09:41:22 PM »
You might want to try looking at your local bookstore and find rhyming books similar to yours and research whether their publishers are accepting manuscripts. Good luck  :)

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 06:45:52 AM »
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I'll give them ALL a try!!

Sym