Author Topic: Name question  (Read 1884 times)

Offline writerfox

Name question
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »
My friend and I are working on a story, and in this day and age, we are perturbed at the growing snipes about whom is plagiarizing whom.  The reason i bring this up is: while writing our story, we went to websites about names and picked several out, after several tedious hours of searching.  We put down the names and all was well.  That is, until roughly three days ago when we were in our local bookstore, just mindlessly perusing the fantasy section when he picked up an interesting looking book.  Lo and behold, one of the characters had the same name!  Imagine our frustration.  My question is, should he and I use the name that we feel is rightfully ours, or should we pick out a different one?  The first name is all that is the same, we are POSITIVE that the surname is good to go.  The character we have is a rhino-person, whereas the THIEF (joking) has a character that is a half-orc.

Offline Jackster

Re: Name question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
There is no way you can search all books written to see if your name has already been "taken."  My opinion is not to worry about it, but since you did find that name, I would suggest changing it, if only to set you own mind at ease.  I ran across the same issue when I was watching "Die Hard" with Bruce Willis for the 57th time.  There was a character in there that had the same name as my current fiction project antagonist, but I didn't realize I was using it and it surprised me.  Perhaps that name was in my subconscious, but I plan to change my antagonist's name for my own peace of mind. 

Jack.

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »
Difficult to be sure one has never seen it somewhere.

Change the spelling is one point to consider.

With F/SF developing a naming style particular to your world should solve most problems.  Any that do end up being similar or the same.  Well, you should be able to justifiably argue that they are all in keeping with other character names in the novel.

Outside of F/SF then duplication of names is more likely and impossible to prevent imo.

Only thing to avoid is duplicating very unusual names.

I Googled a name recently, nothing in the first three or four pages were sufficiently similar to worry me or what I considered in use for similar. So its in. :P

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 03:27:18 AM »
If it worries you, keep the name and (as suggested above) alter the spelling. To be honest, though, I don't think we can really talk too much about plagiarism when it comes to names. Who owns the copyright for Jack, then???

Offline writerfox

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »
The name was 'Gahji,' so I guess me and my buddy could tack on an extra 'i' or some such, as that was an alternate spelling on the site we found.

wizard7wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:04:01 AM »
I wouldent worry about it mate, I mean how many books and how many names are there in the world?
Keep what you think is good and don't sweat about it.

Offline writerfox

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 01:31:51 PM »
If I change it, here are some alternatives.  Keep in mind, this is supposed to describe a burly warrior who happens to be a rhino:

Addo:  King of the road
Abrafo:  Warrior or Executioner
Adom:  God's Blessing
Akin: Warrior, hero
Bamidele: Follow Me Home
Danso: Reliable
Enitan: Person of renown
Fela: Warlike

WAIT!  Found it!  MY friend and I missed an 'I.'  It is not 'Gahji,' but 'GahIji.'  problem solved