Author Topic: A Story's History  (Read 789 times)

Offline Yushu na baka

A Story's History
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:29:28 AM »
So when I start a project, generally the first thing I like to do is create a history. NOT a Preface mind you, a history, generally a piece of writing that caps up everything from the past of the story I want to work on but that a reader will probably never see as is. I will gradually put all the information in the book in some way but this sort of puts it all in one package for my reference. So I wanted to share it so I could get feedback. I know my sentence structure won't be great, I am the king of sentence fragments (It should honestly be a writing style, I mean c'mon) so I don't mind too much if people want to make comments along those lines. There's no character yet so really this is like an appendices, just need to know if this is a line of thought worth going on kind of deal.

Thanks guys!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a humanity that always defined itself by it's boundaries, unspeakable atrocities are imminent. The Goths
would rape and pillage villages, killing children and women simply for the fear, the power, the need to be
dominant over one's enemy in all ways. The Roman Empire would wipe out entire civilizations for greed and
paranoia. Murders of millions for religions because their god was the supreme deity taints the history books.
Pride would lead men to stand face to face and fire into the bodies of other men, boys whose tears would
 fall the same whatever side they were on. Society produced megalomaniacs who would incite multi-theater
campaigns of blood and rhetoric. Even those justified by "winning" were still performing acts of terror in dropping
bombs that blew souls from bodies wiping out cities as easily as exhaling a last breath. They left behind
nothing but radiation and dust to poison the lands.

These things would escalate. The inevitable always occurs for humankind and war will bring out all that
is ugly, and atrocious, and beautiful in the souls of men. Missiles destroyed the first of the cities. The
chemicals came next; asphyxiating, burning, melting, poisoning far too many unwitting, unfortunate people.
And as all things escalate, so shall weaponry. It was never clear if the intention was for weapons use, all
history showed was genetic modification that would spread faster than was containable. The Pandora Virus,
 a disease of such unimaginable consequence that only the gods could  be responsible. The disease ravaged,
the bane of Ockham; it would generate no identical destructive patterns, followed no structure. DNA was
at once warped and the existence of humanity for the first time came into real contention. No cure would
even begin to slow the onslaught. A worldwide quarantine took effect separating mother from daughter,
father from son, lovers from lover's kiss.

At that moment one could say a silver cloud would shine. Humanity as a whole made a noble decision. The
 current generations would perish in the sins they had caused, but it would not have to be the end of
 humanity. A new generation, with a genetic structure that could withstand the Pandora Virus had to give rise.
Thus the creation of a new genome modification, Achelois' Key. The genetic change was such that the Pandora
Virus was immediately rendered desolate. Humanity would celebrate at their own demise.

Achelois' Key both saved and changed humanity. The Key when turned kept a person safe from Pandora,
however, this came at a cost. The lifespan of the typical human ranged from eighty to one-hundred years
prior to the Key and was stunted down to a mere thirty-two and thirty-five years for some luckier ones.
Developmentally though this new breed of human was vastly different. Instead of the thirty-six week incubation
 of a fetus, most were born after only twenty weeks. In body these children were perfectly normal in appearance
other than their size which often times was half that of a normal newborn. By eight months a child would
 begin walking and the use of language. It was found that in turning Achelois' Key the overall result was a
change in brain function and development where every human within a generation would be considered a genius.
Their aptitude to learn was unstinting, and most had perfect memories, never having to put their ideas to any
sort of written work as from the moment they had the original thought to their deaths it would be in their head,
available for recall at any second.

In the midst of the new children of Achelois' coming of age the entirety of the old humanity would melt away,
never fully understanding just what they'd created. After a second generation and the rebuilding of humanity
 the old society was effectively forgotten in its inefficiency. New governments would take power through
 logical restructuring and the world was established. That what was once a warm place, with laughter and joys
at it's highs against the tears and sorrows at it's lows was cold and rational, efficient. It is this world, so
carefully pieced together, constructed and refined to machine like performance that does not know disorder,
does not know when a shadow looms over by its own design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's the idea, I'm happy to give insight into inspiration and ideals that I've placed in this.
Thanks for any feedback guys.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:33:16 AM by Yushu na baka »
A writer is not a liar, they just take your truths and tell it back to you in a way you can understand.

Offline Linton

• History Boy
    • Jacob Fitchett
Re: A Story's History
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:12:59 AM »
You should always explore your ideas.  If your tale is based on historical events you can use the key points and then weave in your fictional characters around them (I did this).  If it is a complete work of fiction I guess you could list the chronological historical events of your historical world and build your story around these - like Tolkien perhaps?

Offline Maimi

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
... just need to know if this is a line of thought worth going on kind of deal.
I agree with Linton on exploring your idea, especially this one.  I'm wondering if this will lead to an apocalyptic situation or if a mutated strain will introduce chaos that solicits a violent response or ...

Needless to say, you have the creative juices flowing.  I'd run with it and see where it takes you.

Offline Yushu na baka

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:39:13 PM »
My idea was sort of a post-apocalyptic world that instead of being shambles and ruins is instead "better" than the world
we are in now.

That this new genetic humanistic generation has advanced society and sciences to a place we never could otherwise.
But that it's stripped humanity of its will essentially. I inevitably think I have my characters going through the storyline
where they are faced with the question of are things really better now or are they just masked by deceit and corruption?

I'm also playing with the idea of going more Steampunk with things but not sure yet. I know it's certainly going to be
a futuristic setting while avoiding as much as possible.

I guess you could list the chronological historical events of your historical world and build your story around these - like Tolkien perhaps?

I really like this idea. I may have to play with this a little bit to see where it takes me.
A writer is not a liar, they just take your truths and tell it back to you in a way you can understand.