Author Topic: Fire-Fly's Adventures Continue.  (Read 18152 times)

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Re: Fire-Fly's Adventures Continue.
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »
 ;D ;D

They are bizarre indeed Alice and supposed to be around 15,000 years old. Not sure how true any of that is but they are rather nice to see. Found some more the other day when we were at another spot, might try to find them to post later.

We are having a great time Cath, bloody hot here in Darwin at present though. Everyone at home are freezing their butts off and we are melting up here.  :P :P
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »
Its the dry season here in Darwin and its bloody raining, unheard of before.  ???

Still better than being at work anyway.  ;D ;D

We travelled to Broome in Western Australia and spent some time up on the coast camping.

http://www.broome.wa.gov.au/

This was my view when I woke up.

And another, you just don't get sick of looking at this place, the sunrise and sunset is breathtaking and the natives are beautiful.

One of the natives, he was sunning himself on the road as we pulled out of our camp. About eight foot long he is. Oh and yes, that is a road he is on.  :P

A full length picture of that road. It leads to Cape Leveque http://www.kooljaman.com.au/ but after sixty klms of corrugations and another hundred to go, we turned back.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 08:22:49 AM »
There is no way on this earth that snake can be described as beautiful woman. :o :o :o :o

The sunset is lovely.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »
That is the sort of 'road' my Russian motorbike and sidecar was designed for.  It's based on those the Germans used in WW2.  Built like a tank, but quietly resting - and rusting - at the moment.

Re your snake pic...  I looked away from th screen a few seconds later and, from the corner of my eye, saw my belt lying loosely coiled on the bed and nearly freaked out for a second ;-)   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 08:45:58 AM »
Another native, the old dingo. They sure are mangy in the wild guys. Seen about half a dozen this trip. This one was in the Kimberly where most of these shots were taken. http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/kimberley_western_australia.html

This goanna was another sunseeker at a billabong we camped near. Not the best pic but he was over six feet, a bit taller than Ma  ::) and my zoom didn't do him justice I am afraid. ANDREW, camera tips please.  ::) ::)

We were on our way to Mitchell Plateau, http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Mitchell+plateau&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Mitchell+Plateau+WA&gl=au&ei=dCAzTL_wNtGHkAXzx4ChDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQ8gEwAA  over some of the worst roads we have ever encountered. We lost an antenna for the UHF radio and a tyre (photo later  ;D) and a bonnet clip.....

Our camp. The blue thing is the shower.  :D :D

We headed to Mitchell Plateau http://www.kimberleywilderness.com.au/content.asp?Document_ID=5005 which has amazing water falls and had a chopper ride over them, plus walked them the next day.  :o :o

These falls were stunning and better viewed from the chopper. The walk was way too long and I chucked a Patti and whined the whole way.  ::) ::)

Collecting water for a shower, felt like we would see Grandpa Walton come out of the trees.  ;D ;D

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »
There is no way on this earth that snake can be described as beautiful woman. :o :o :o :o

The sunset is lovely.

;D ;D

They are when you see them in the wild like that mate. We were in the car but before I took the photos, I have about twenty, he was going to have a piece of me. He is a harmless one though.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »
That is the sort of 'road' my Russian motorbike and sidecar was designed for.  It's based on those the Germans used in WW2.  Built like a tank, but quietly resting - and rusting - at the moment.

Re your snake pic...  I looked away from th screen a few seconds later and, from the corner of my eye, saw my belt lying loosely coiled on the bed and nearly freaked out for a second ;-)   

A tank is what was needed there Gyp thats for sure.  ;) ;)

Funny story, we ran into some people who told us if we had gone one more klm, the road had been tarred and went all the rest of the way. Glad we turned back though, seen so many other nice things after that.

I'm glad it was only a second freak out.... >:D  ;)

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
Ooo err a strong wind and you'd be on show for all to see mate. :o

You, whine, never. ::)

You won't convince me mate. :o

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »
 ;D ;D

I made him tie the sucker down Ma, didn't want to ruin the WA tourism with one of my free shows. >:D

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
The facilities look a bit more... Rustic  than i'm used to.  :D

You sound like you're having fun tho FF and that's the main thing ;D
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »
Rustic is a word Andrew,  ;D ;D describes all things feral doesn't it mate.  :D :D

This is one of the dunnies along the way. They are called hybrid toilets, whatever the hell that means, me thinks another name for feral.

I have some great videos but will load them when I get home, one day.  ::)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »
Nice shot of the Dingo.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
He stood there for sometime Gyp, not even a bit afraid. He was in the middle of nowhere but a confident buggar thats for sure. They have to be to live out there, don't know what he eats, its so barren. ???

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
This is one of the dunnies along the way. They are called hybrid toilets, whatever the hell that means, me thinks another name for feral.

You know me, ever searching for more knowledge.  So I searched.  It's a septic tank plus, with a solar powered fan.  Damned cunning, these Aussies.

http://aussiethings.biz/hybrid-toilet-system/

Gyppo

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
Ahhh, well I don't know what the fan is for, must be to circulate that smell right around the thunder box me thinks. >:D

Better then a pit I guess but very similar I'm afraid.  ???