Author Topic: Does anyone know the answer to this question?  (Read 1845 times)

Lin

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
I am writing about a phone call and my character dials 1471 to retrieve the number of the last caller.  The year is 1986 but what year was caller ID first implemented in the UK?  I couldn't find the answer on the net - there is something which tells me that it was first implemented in the USA in 1988 but I am sure it was in the 80's in the UK, but if it is 1988 I cannot use it in my story.

Thanks everyone

Lin  x

Offline Vienna

Re: Does anyone know the answer to this question?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Lin

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:06:04 AM »
Great Britain 1362411 December 4, 1974 Apparatus for decoding and display of digital information

I think this was the year it was patented but when did it first come into operation?  I'm not sure if that's what they mean.

Lin x

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »
Lin -

Are you sure you're not over-thinking this?

If you don't know when it went into effect, I sure none of your readers or editors will know either. Because everyone is familiar with the technology, they'll gloss over it and keep reading. Shakespeare's writing is full of anachronisms and he did okay...kinda.

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Caller ID was invented by Carolyn A. Doughty. She patented the invention on April 15, 1986 with AT&T Bell Laboratories listed as the assignee. In 1987, New Jersey became the first state to offer Caller ID. The phone company, New Jersey Bell, offered it to try and boost their earnings from their investment in new high-speed network signaling systems. The new systems use a separate call data circuit based on the SS7 standard to handle the setup, termination, supervisory data, and other data concerning a call. This new system is better able to process large volumes of calls and eliminates some types of toll fraud.  from: http://www.beginnersguide.com/gadgets/caller-id/history-of-caller-id.php

Caller ID was invented in Greece during the 1960's, but the first market trial did not occur until the mid 1980's in Florida. This was also the same time when the term "caller ID" was first used to describe the service. Bell South became the first telecommunications company to deploy CNID, and as it became more and more popular, other phone companies began to offer the service to their customers. from: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-History-of-Caller-ID&id=1259248

but it seems to me, Caller ID was not in major use in 1984

Here we *69 or something to find out who the last call was, but for a while, there was a charge associated with it.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Lin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »
Spell Check,

My MSS went to the RNA last month to be read by one of their professional writers.  This was a question which jumped out at her and she asked me to check it.

I agree with you though, if no-one seems to know then what does it matter, but it is important to get things right as much as I can - dialling 1471 is important to my story.

but it seems to me, Caller ID was not in major use in 1984

So was it in use in the UK in 1986 that's the big question? All the information so far seem to point to the USA.

Lin x

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
Why not try calling a major phone company in the UK on Monday and ask them? Surely some historian type person could tell you. Or maybe you can find their website and do a contact us thing, sending an email and asking the question.

My data was all from the US because those are the sites I found. When I typed caller id history uk in the search, nothing much came up. Y'all need to get on your geeks over there to work on this problem. :P
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Lin

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 02:52:31 AM »
Tee hee Spell Chick - I live in Holland so maybe that's something I will have to bring to the attention of the publisher's editor when I get published in the future - notice I said 'when' and not 'if'. LOL

Thanks everyone for your input.

Lin x

Offline McWawa

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
BT first introduced it ( Caller ID) in UK in  november 1994.

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 04:35:48 AM »
1994 sounds about right. It would jar with me, if I read a story with caller ID in 1986. I wouldn't be sure whether it was right or wrong, but it would niggle. Had YMW not said 1994, I would have guessed that I'd first become aware of it around 1995. I think it was pretty highly advertised on TV and so on, so it would be surprising if it had been available before then but not publicised - so, yeah, if I read a story with caller ID set in 1986, I would immediately think, "Surely they didn't have 1471 back then?"
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline McWawa

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:16:53 AM »
I believe that it was introduced in New Jersey U.S.A. in 1987. BT, in the UK., had planned to introduce it earlier in the year 1994 yet there was a delay. The intended benefits were to be to businesses who could see the telephone number of clients/customers who called, and log the data.
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna