Author Topic: The Underbeasts (poem for children)  (Read 12120 times)

Offline waterman54

Re: The Underbeasts (poem for children)
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2008, 06:18:50 PM »
Hi Symphony,
I too love the poem, I love poems that ryhme better than any other. Yours here is great. Very nice. Dan.
Faith sees the invisible, believes the
incredible and receives the impossible!

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »
I have to agree with everybody else, Symphony - it's a superb poem :)
Sorry that I can't offer proper criticism, because my own poetry is rubbish  ;D ;D
But really, your poem is wonderful :)
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2008, 11:51:31 PM »
This was one of the first poems I ever read when I found MWC - I think it's brilliant.  If I were looking for something for one of my nieces or nephews and found this with nice illustrations, I'd buy it in a second (actually, I think I said that when I first read this - always repeating myself these days :) )
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Lin

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2008, 06:17:59 AM »
Maybe we should all write to a publisher begging for this to be published!!  You got my vote.   Maybe something like this (just for fun!) A new slant on the submission letter!!

Dear Sirs,

We recently read a poem for children called The Underbeasts, by ............. We the  undersigned wish to request by popular demand that this poem be recommended for publication.   Do you agree with us and if so please will you consider our request?  The poem is attached, our children love it and its also great for adults, reminding us of how we felt when we were children lying in bed on a dark night. 

Signed by

Well something like this.

With illustrations this could be a real hit with everyone. If we all wrote to the right publisher then could they fail to ignore us!!  Its such a shame this is not getting anywhere.

Lin x
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:20:23 AM by Lin »

Offline chappers

• Author of "Playing the Empire - A dancer's life"
    • The Pedlar Press
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 04:32:24 AM »
As a newbie, have only just come across this - but loved it. Reminiscent of Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales - "The chief defect of Henry King was chewing little bits of string...". Please, more in the same vein.

Offline fluffybunny

• feedback can only make you better
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
Symphony
Hi I'm brand new on here but been a member of writewords for a few months.  This was great as a slightly scary story for kids about something they are slightly scared about!!!  Thought it would benefit from being in the traditional 12 page format before sending out to publishers but the content is just right as is the rhyme - fantastic and spot on rhythm!
I can really see this as a kids PB.
everyone has the same amount of time, it's how you use it that matters
Improve your life - career, finances, relationships, health - click here for 2 free tickets
http://champions.christopherhoward.co.uk/ukbts.asp?cli=CLA1018553

Offline MsBook

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:50 PM »
Symphony Hi,

I'm really new here...so I hope I'm doing this right...

I loved this poem it was delightful...brought back so many memories of my own childhood to this day  can't hang my feet over the bed...and now I know why my kids stuffed so many things under their beds when they were small.

I too wish this was published I would buy it in a heartbeat.  I am truly inspired by your writing.

Thanks for the fun...

While it is wise to learn from experience, it is wiser to learn from the experiences of others.

The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart.

The greatest gift you can give someone is your time.

Offline The Write Stuff

• Cynde (acushla712)
    • Cynde's "That Can't Be Write" Fotki Site
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »
Hi, Symphony!

What an amazing3 poem this is!  Someday I would like to write a book of children's poems or maybe even a picture book.  My only hope is that I'll be able to come up with something as fun and entertaining as this is.
      Has this been published yet?  Have you heard anything from the publishers?  It would be exciting for all of us here at MWC to know when you get this published.  We're all so proud of you and your accomplishments! (I've read so many comments to that effect.) You will keep up updated, won't you? (Or did I miss something and you've already told everyone what's going on with it?)

Also...Have a blessed Easter!

Sincerely,
      Cynde   :)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He with make your paths straight."  Proverbs 3:5,6
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »
I let my 10 year old daughter read it and she thought it made a good point about mums (that you can never win ;D) and she liked the subject and the fact it was a poem in rhymning couplets. She gives it a ten out of ten. :o