Author Topic: IFWG Publishing have news and submission requests!  (Read 19727 times)

Offline gerryhuntman

• Gerry's Blog Site
Re: IFWG Publishing have news and submission requests!
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
...read it closely please - for manuscripts. We are still accepting SQ Magazine submissions and also the Story Quest Contest is still open.

We got flooded with manuscripts and we are now committed to publish novels and anthologies well into next year.

Gerry Huntman
Chief Editor, IFWG Publishing
http://ifwgpublishing.com/
"Author owned, and managed."
"A Shining Knight in the Dark World of the Publishing Industry."

Offline AMEASHA

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
 :)Hi Gerry. I'm new here and was wondering if you accepted full length novels. I'm an aspiring writer with nothing published yet, but I'm working an the last chapter of a 40 chapter fantasy novel. The title is The Calling. My deepest fear is the query letter. I'm having a very hard time writing it. It not only will sell me, but it will also sell my novel. I have heard there are several ways to write it, but no matter how I try, :( it's to long.
I also have two other novels on the go, a thriller titled Accidental Genius and a fiction Witches For Hire. If you have any advice I sure could use it.
Thanks Ameasha Brown

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
There is no definitive way to write a query letter. In my experience agents and publishers all want different things from each other. The main thing is making them interested so just ensure you write it so that your idea leaps off the page at them. That's the basis I always go for.

PS

I think Gerry wrote on the previous page their stance for novel submissions (if not then it is most certainly on IFWG website).
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 03:38:30 AM »
Perhaps worth mentioning that WCCL, our forum sponsors, produce an excellent downloadable guide on this subject called Book Proposal Secrets. If you're worried about this, it might be worth investing a few dollars on.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline gerryhuntman

• Gerry's Blog Site
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
:)Hi Gerry. I'm new here and was wondering if you accepted full length novels. I'm an aspiring writer with nothing published yet, but I'm working an the last chapter of a 40 chapter fantasy novel. The title is The Calling. My deepest fear is the query letter. I'm having a very hard time writing it. It not only will sell me, but it will also sell my novel. I have heard there are several ways to write it, but no matter how I try, :( it's to long.
I also have two other novels on the go, a thriller titled Accidental Genius and a fiction Witches For Hire. If you have any advice I sure could use it.
Thanks Ameasha Brown

Hi Ameasha - sorry to take so long in responding - have been on vacation away from technology. Also thanks to AJB for help in answer, as well as Nick.

IFWG Publishing has closed it's manuscript submission pipeline until end of March next year - simply because we have a full calendar of publication projects. Our magazine and contest short story submission gates are still open of course.

I agree with AJB about the variability of query requirements among publishers - this is in part due to the style of the chief editors but also factors associated with the state of their business. However I can tell you this much - time is precious and tight in this industry and a well written query letter (regardless of content requirement variations) helps the reader decide whether the work is worthwhile or not. Superficial, I know, but it does happen. Don't get hung up on technicalities - read what the publisher or agent wants and use your writing skills to deliver. Use the advice of others in terms of honing the writing elements.

Note that IFWG Publishing, at this stage, still doesn't want queries - we have guidelines for a proper submission but limited to 3 chapters and a synopsis. It isn't superficial for us to look unkindly on emails that can't follow basic instructions on our website.

Good luck in your endeavours. Remember that while you hone your query skills don't forget to continuously work on your fiction writing capability. Keep at it my friend.

Gerry
Gerry Huntman

Offline eric

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Another considered, professional, and personal response from Gerry.  That has to impress.  Let me follow up only to emphasize a couple points made, from my perspective in the trenches.  

First, above all, always read the publisher's (or agent's) guidelines.  Gerry's guidelines clearly state a synopsis is wanted.  

Do not confuse synopsis and query. The former is more of a summary of the plot, and it includes a reference to the ending. Two pages or so. In the style I learned, at least, the query is a hook, brief characterization of the plot, details of the book, and important details about you -- all in less than a page.  The American market generally requires queries, while synopses are more common in England.  Unless the guidelines say otherwise or you are in the U.K., I think a quick query approach is the best for today's market, and here's why.

AJB and Gerry are right that query formats can and do vary, but as Gerry says the market is so tight and time limited.  This means to my mind that there are right and wrong ways to query.  The vast majority of agents have thirty seconds or less to decide if your project is worthwhile based on your query letter.  If you don't catch her interest in a handful of seconds, your book won't be read.  In the American market, the vast majority of mainstream books are published through an agent.  (This is another example of Gerry standing out from the crowd!)

Good luck with your query (or synopsis, if you decide to try IFWG next March). About brevity, try characterizing a sentence or whole paragraph (or more ) in a few pithy words, rather than directly shortening it.  

It is important to find someone to help you, but don't let them write it for you -- write it with them.  It must be in your voice.  Query critique is a specialized field, with delicate boundaries. Queries are intense, and can often require as much work as the book itself, or a large part of it.  They'll also be the most important letter you ever write about your book (unless you happen to know someone preferring synopses).

Best wishes to Gerry and his innovative publishing approach.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:33:43 AM by eric »

Offline gerryhuntman

• Gerry's Blog Site
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
Eric

Thanks for you kind words... It certainly makes a difference!

Gerry
Gerry Huntman

Offline eric

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
My pleasure, Gerry.  You have taken on a dear friend of mine, Biola Olatunde, and I am watching closely to see how that goes.  So far you're top notch, she's extremely happy with the deal.  So that makes me happy in my turn.  I am looking forward to her forthcoming poetry book, additional to the novel you've already produced for her.

I obviously have an interest in query critique.  This is not relevant to you, except as a contrast to synopses, but I wanted to answer the poster in full.

A very good day to you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:10:42 PM by eric »

Offline gerryhuntman

• Gerry's Blog Site
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »
Ah, connected to Biola. A wonderful woman and extremely talented. We are very excited in publishing her debut novel - she is checking out the final internal formatting as we speak. This work, aside from being a great modern-day, set-in-Africa adventure, also has depth - the hero has some big internal issues and more importantly, the novel delves into the culture and challenges of the Niger Delta people. Great stuff.

cheers

Gerry
Gerry Huntman

Offline gerryhuntman

• Gerry's Blog Site
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »
Eric (and others), for your information. Biola is now published - visit our site at www.ifwgpublishing.com or visit Amazon.com.  It wont take long before most online retailers can sell her novel worldwide. Kindle will be out in a few days.

We achieved our objective, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

Gez
Gerry Huntman

MrsButler

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
Gerry,
I sent sample chapters of my debut novel "The Hanging of Margaret Dickson" to IFWG Publishing too late. My complete MS is with a literay agent at present but if I'm unsucessful I'll try IFWG March of next year.

Thanks for your informative comments and so happy Biola has been rewarded for all her hard work.

Alison Butler   ;D

Offline gerryhuntman

• Gerry's Blog Site
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
Hi Alison

Very sorry indeed that you missed getting in prior to lock-down. We simply didn't have any choice and we have to be extremely even-handed with everyone, as you can guess.

At this stage we are still able to provide some comments on manuscripts that are rejected, and obviously a lot more will emanate with those we want to support.

Good luck to you - remember that a writer is a writer, regardless of success and income from the craft. If you're good, or getting there, just persevere and you will get there!

Gerry
Gerry Huntman

MrsButler

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 06:33:50 AM »
Thanks, Gerry

I'm determined! ;)

I'll remember your words of wisdom.

Alison :)

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »
What happens if you dont have a manuscript though? Ya buggered then aren't ya?

This might just be me reading it oddly...but if you don't have a manuscript then why on earth would you be thinking about sending one to a publisher? Surely it's impossible to publish something that doesn't exist.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline Boop-Bom-Tow!

• Stephen Fatewright's Triond
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
This might just be me reading it oddly...but if you don't have a manuscript then why on earth would you be thinking about sending one to a publisher? Surely it's impossible to publish something that doesn't exist.
Oh no, I don't think it's impossible at all... Just highly improbable.
Stephen Fatewright of the 36th glacier of san antonio destrict canada.