Author Topic: Please read: Prologue.  (Read 1955 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
Please read: Prologue.
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:31:48 PM »
Hi, I would really appreciate some input on the opening to my story. I worked on it a long time ago and since wrote more to the story but I haven't touched it for a long time now. I'd really like to get into the swing of things once again.
I know it doesn't make sense what the story is about yet. I'm hoping it encourages you to want to read more  :)  It's only brief so it won't take up much of your time I promise  :)

Thank you, and any comments will only be helpful.
Lorraine

-----

I didn't intend for it to be this way.
I never knew such things existed.  I wish I had never learned.
Don't pity me though - I had it coming and I'll take my punishment. It doesn't seem enough to say sorry for what I've done, for the damage I've caused.  So I won't say it; I no longer have use for words anyhow.

As I look through these empty, lifeless domes of depair, captivated endlessly by that twisted soul destroying crescent as it shines in the distance, I am forced to realise the evil embodiment of which I now represent.

My task now is to keep my existence hidden from you, to keep you guessing while delivering you the "sanity" you crave.  Yet I deliver it at a price - one that you will not, CAN not be aware of.  I hope for your sake it remains that way.

Retain your constant quest for knowledge dear Reader, but do not delve to a depth you cannot fathom.  Climb and fall, try again if you wish, but if you reach me - you have come too far.  So sleep...

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
Re: Please read: Prologue.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:34:41 PM »
Hi Lorraineofkeli,

if your intention was to encourage the reader to want to read on, then you have succeeded.

I found your introduction intriquing, I want to know who the narrator is, what they've done that is so bad and why and how you can deliver 'our sanity?'

A couple of things though stood out:

I never knew such things existed.  I wish I had never learned.

This doesn't seem strong enough to follow the first line, although not knowing the story I could be wrong. :-\

As I look through these empty, lifeless domes of depair, captivated endlessly by that twisted soul destroying crescent as it shines in the distance, I am forced to realise the evil embodiment of which I now represent.

Again, not knowing the story, I am unsure if this is an actual description of a place or the way you feel inside? The last line reads awkwardly, although I don't know why :-\ but I would change it around: I am forced to realise that I now represent the evil embodiment of.... But then, maybe you don't want to give too much away at this point?  ;)

Really like your style of writing and can't wait to read more.

CATHY C
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »
Hi

Liked what you wrote - I agree the second line needs some work.

you will not, CAN not be aware

My only other comment is the capitalisation of can it seems unnecessary, maybe it even detracts a little.  If you wish to emphasise it then I would use a comma after the 'can not'

What you have written makes me curious, I want to know what is to follow, who are you?  Just don't dissapoint the reader. ;D

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »
Hi, thank you both for your comments and I will certainly take them on board and work on them.
I have to apologise for the CAPS on 'can'. It was originally emphasised, but I wanted to post my message in bold..and instead of just italics I decided to highlight it with capitals.
I realise it makes for confusing reading at the moment. I have a habit of confusing the reader-I find it's the easiest way to intrigue the reader into finding out more. Either that, or they just think I'm crazy!  :)
When I'm next on, I will upload the synopsis to provide hopefully more clarity about the story :)

Thanks again guys.
Lorraine