Author Topic: What made you want to write?  (Read 7024 times)

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
What made you want to write?
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:41 AM »
What was it that made you think 'I want to be a writer'?

Was it the thought that if you make a success of it then essentially you become like a politician only more popular in the respect that you get paid to tell lies? (If you're a fiction author of course!)

Is it the fact that you just get so immersed in other peoples books that you just want to give that feeling to other people?

Do you read someones work and think 'I know I am better than this, if they can make it, so can I!'?

Do you just love to express yourself and get the variety of ideas flowing through your mind down onto paper?

Do you want to make money without the hassle of a full time job for some company that you have no stake in other than your 40 hour week?

Or do you feel so passionate about subject that you want to put something into it yourself?

I am sure there are countless other reasons but then I realised if I keep writing people will grow tired and not actually read them.

Personally I want to make money out of writing and have always seen myself writing as opposed to slogging it on a day to day job for some company that isn't  my own. I would be lying if I said I hadn't read books and thought 'wow, if they can do it so can I'. But perhaps the most prominent is the fact that I get so sucked into the books I read that I want to feel the thrill of having other people get totally sucked into my work.

I have always dreamed of holding a book with my name on it (not one that is self published as that defeats the object of the dream).
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: What made you want to write?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »
When my grandson was born, I wanted to pass something of mine to him. However, because I never did find that silver spoon, the best he could hope for was Grandpa’s guns.

Every night we read to him and it occurred to me that he might enjoy a story where the hero and he had the same name. And he may enjoy it more if it was written by his “Paw-Bah.”

And so, I started writing that story. Five years later and its still not completed although the word count has gone beyond 207,000 words.

I woke up one morning and realized I would be miserable if I couldn’t write stories.

Skip  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:37:19 AM by Skip Slocum »

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:35:22 AM »
I've always been obsessed with creating something out of basically nothing.
And writing seemed the obvious choice because I love to read and I have a
wicked imagination.  :)

My other option was music, but I'm a bit shy and a wee bit too anti-social
for that.  ;D
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

CCRP

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:37:25 AM »
What was it that made you think 'I want to be a writer'?

Was it the thought that if you make a success of it then essentially you become like a politician only more popular in the respect that you get paid to tell lies? (If you're a fiction author of course!)

Did you just steal that one from me?  ;D   :o   ;D

I never really thought about it, A.J.B.

I started writing as soon as I knew how to spell, and it's become second nature to me. I simply can't imagine myself not writing.

Oh, of course there are times when I'm not writing nearly as much or as well as I'd like to - it's all part of the game - but ultimately, not a day goes by when I haven't written. (Even if my writing consisted of nothing more than a simple shopping list.)

I started writing, because I loved books. I've always been an avid reader, and it was only natural (to me anyway) that I was going to be a writer. I had stories to tell, too, hadn't I?

And yes, I admit: I love to tell people lies. Even better, they expect me to tell them lies and are disappointed if I don't. Although, of course in my non-fiction, I'm always honest, even if that means the bigger of the two publishers won't publish my book and I'll have to go with the smaller of them. (Yes, that really happened, and I don't regret it for even one minute.)

I'm not in the writing business for the money. If I wanted to get rich, I would have to find myself another job. Something more lucrative. But I want to write. I need to write, and I'd even write if I never got published and never got paid a penny.

Having said that, I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of earning money - or even getting rich - from my writing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:44:31 PM by Nelodra »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »
All of the above at one time or nother, but...

This may sound silly, but I think even as a child I understood there was a kind of immortality in the written word.  I could write down a thought, or describe a scene, and years later I would be able to look at those words and know what I was thinking back then.  But I never became a compulsive keeper of diaries.  Most of them petered out by mid February, largely because there was never enough room to really tell what had happened.

But this storing away for the future was a largely selfish thing at first.  It never really crossed my mind to share it.

Later I realised print could be a good way to share stories and information.  I'm told I was a storyteller before I could write, and I knew the basics of reading and writing before I even started school.

My first taste of commercial writing was a little 'Prepare yourself for winter' leaflet which I printed up with my John Bull printing set (about two dozen copies) and hawked around the caravan site and the nearby houses.  Profitable self publication at eight years of age ;-)  I learned a lot from that venture but then went back to writing stories rather than info-products.

I was in my twenties before I started selling articles.  I suddenly realised that a lot of the stuff I was telling/teaching people on a one to one basis could be shared far more widely as magazine articles.  

Magic moment there, Folks.  Do something you like doing - sharing information and writing - and get paid for it as well.  It was like discovering the Holy Grail, and realising it had been tucked away unused in the back of a cupboard for ages.

So that's it.  I like to share/teach, and I write fiction too.  Getting paid is part of the deal, because it proves that someone outside values your work.  But it's not the primary reason, although at times it seems more important than others.

As for self publication - for me at least - it's a different feeling.  A different game.  There's an entrepreneurial 'buzz' about being in charge of the whole process, but I'm very aware of selling a 'product' rather than a book.  I get a kick when someone buys one of my four e-books, but it's a different kick (probably more money related) from the one I feel when I see an article of mine in print.  The latter feels more like recognition.

Finally, I can still recall the feeling when, over thirty years ago, I got a letter from Robert Hale, saying 'Dear Sir, we would like to publish your novel.'  It's no good trying to describe it, or comparing it other significant 'firsts'.  It's got its own kind of 'special' which never quite wears off ;-)  And once you've tasted it you will always call yourself a writer, with justification, even if life conspires against you and you have long spells away from your chosen trade/craft.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »

This may sound silly, but I think even as a child I understood there was a kind of immortality in the written word.  

I know exactly what you mean Gyppo. One thing that scares me more than anything is dying without actually having done something. With writing, if I get something out there then hopefully after I am gone I will be remembered. It's people like Bram Stoker etc... that made me think 'my name could be remembered long after I'm dust'. And that is one thing I am striving for.

I did not know you made the same/similar remark about writing and politicians, Leah. Darn shame, I had thought I had came upon an original little line there!
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

CCRP

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »
I did not know you made the same/similar remark about writing and politicians, Leah. Darn shame, I had thought I had came upon an original little line there!

Great minds think alike.  ;D

Offline deborahowen

• Goal: Help each writer reach their full potential
    • Creative Writing Institute
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »

I started writing for my children when they were little, and then I quit. In later years, I had a burning in my soul that yearned to get out. I had something to say that I thought was worth sharing. I also found that writing was a wonderful escape from this unfriendly world and I could set my own parameters for a life in fiction. Wanting to sell came much later.
Deborah Owen :)
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute
http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com
Writing tutor/public speaker/editor/ghostwriter
Free tips at http://www.deborahowen.wordpress.com

Offline thatollie

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:34:23 PM »
In high school, my best friend tried to write a novel. So I tried it as well. He didn't enjoy it (so he became a NASA science guy) and I did (so I became unemployed).
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »

ROFL Good one! Never quit the day job until you make enough in writing to support yourself. Did you really have to find that out the hard way?  :o
CEO & Founder

Offline thatollie

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
Yep, but I'm working on something excellent at the moment so fingers-crossed.

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »

Want a free 22-point evaluation on 1,000 words? I'll be happy to help if I can. See my sig if you want to send it.
CEO & Founder

Offline thatollie

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »
No thanks, I've got a go-to guy.

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »

Awesome! I wish you the very best with your project. It's been a pleasure to meet you. :)
CEO & Founder

Offline redmeat73

• Luke and Lilly - my little sausages.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 05:23:45 PM »
I started writing because i couldn't sit still inside my own head. I'd end up tripping over ideas while trying to get some peace and quiet. Now i don't know if it was folly.

Matt..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...