Author Topic: Ideas for book titles  (Read 1702 times)

Lin

Ideas for book titles
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
On Nick's course is a section to give you ideas for book titles.   Would anyone like to add to these to help others.   I think by doing this,  it gives budding authors an idea of titles the public are attracted  to when they go into a bookshop and pick up a book for the first time.

Please feel free to contribute and provide us with an overall opinion of what attracts you to a book to buy it and read it. Is it the cover or the title or something else?  With lots of contributions everyone has a varied outlook out what a title should contain, I think this should be interesting.

Lin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:15:07 PM by Lin »

Offline Mini

Re: Ideas for book titles
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:11:44 AM »
I love titles that spark my imagination, or make me question the contents. Oranges are Not the Only Fruit is a good example of this.  We all all know that there is a huge variety of fruit , so why are oranges not the only type?

I will then have a look at the blurb and any recommendations.

However, I must admit I do go by the rule of not judging a book by its cover and will read practically anything. My favourite book has to be Jo's Boys. But the tite tells you exactly what is going to be about, but I guess that is becuse it is the fourth in a series.

mini

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Re: Ideas for book titles
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »
Hi Lin and Mini, good suggestion. When I look for a book to read I usually stick to S/F Fantasy types. The Title usually is indicative, in that gene anyhow. The next thing I look for is a title that piques my imagination. Titles like The Bad Place, Against the Fall of Night, The Martian Chronicles, Lord of The Rings and A Wrinkle in Time are all titles that have ended in a book sale. I have run across a web site recently that has a book title generator in it. If I can find it again, I'll post a link to it. Regards,  ;D Aelf.  P.S. Believe it or not, I don't have Nicks Book yet :(, but it's on the way. Everyone that has it speaks so highly of it, that it became a must have for me.