Poll

Select the work you most enjoyed

Untitled
5 (62.5%)
The Road to Nirvana
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 07, 2010, 07:09:45 PM

Author Topic: Voting for Flash Fiction Contest - Inanimate objects  (Read 1380 times)

Offline waitingwiththetides

Voting for Flash Fiction Contest - Inanimate objects
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:09:45 PM »
My home is a block of wood.
A Very highly polished block of wood Iíll have you know.
There are six of us here, all sat together in our home, snug in our tight little slots
We donít see much from here really.
We sit and watch non the less
Our favourite time is steak time,  we get quite excited when the steaks go into the frying pan, I know that I would positively jiggle with excitement if I could
Sometimes it seems like we are forgotten for such a long time, we sit on the counter watching the world go by
My keeper is very good to me and my brothers,  he keeps us spotlessly clean, especially after steak time, we get covered in slippery fat and bits of gristle and plenty of blood. Then we get put in the lovely warm water,  soap suds bubble everywhere, after all that, he gets a cloth and polishes until we flash brightly under the lights,  every scrap of dirt gone.  Now its back into our slots where we sit and watch.

Today he comes in with someone else, they are very loud! 
They are fighting,  this isnít right !
A hand grabs me and drags me forcibly from my slot!
I flash  in the light  and then everything is darkness
I have a new slot now
I donít like it here!
Iím all dirty and bloody!
And I donít think that my owners body is a good place to be!Ē
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Road to Nirvana

When I discovered that there was life after death, I was pleasantly surprised. And when the Gods told me that I was to be reincarnated, I had images of soaring above the mountains as a golden eagle, or swimming the world's oceans as a dolphin. Then they gave me the bad news. Because I'd lived my previous life as a TV celeb  ó in fact a TV celeb who'd found fame on Big Brother ó I was to be reincarnated as a roll of toilet tissue. Apparently what goes around comes around and now it was my turn to squander my life for some other arseholes. If that news wasn't bad enough, I was sent to work in the home of Ö wait for it Ö a family of lentil-munching vegetarians with a penchant for sprout vindaloo. I suppose I shouldnít complain; at least I didnít come back as a veterinary surgeon's thermometer like that banker I'd heard about. Never mind; I only have three sheets left and then who knows? Perhaps next time I'll come back as your toothbrush.
" The future is already here - it is just unevenly distributed. " William Gibson

Offline waitingwiththetides

Re: Voting for Flash Fiction Contest - Inanimate objects
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
Congratulations to Robc , good luck making the next contest
Cheers 
" The future is already here - it is just unevenly distributed. " William Gibson

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:20 AM »
Well done Rob. Interesting story.

Mark
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline robc

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »
Hi all thanks for your votes
just got back from computer wipeout, some sort of virus i think (we were wearing wellies so how it got thru god knows) still pleasant surprise to come back to this.
I have requested help with setting flash contest 17 and hopfully it will be with you shortly, once again thankyou all for your votes.   Rob