Author Topic: Your Favourite POV?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline ed

Your Favourite POV?
« on: February 11, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
What POV do you prefer to write your novels in and why?

Offline hanabichan

Re: Your Favourite POV?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
Third.

I've never been good at showing emotion and it's just a lot easier to deal with.
Laziness has settled in, so no... it isn't purple.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
I rather like first person.  Maybe because I also liking getting well into a character, and with first person I have only one 'in-depth' personality to cope with.  All the others are viewed and filtered through the MCs eyes, likings, prejudices, preconceptions, etc.

As long as you keep the story 'tight' there is an immediacy to first person.  Done badly it can descend into page after page of navel gazing.

At the other extreme I like the completely omniscient 'God's Eye' narrator viewpoint.  It gives you room to move around if first person seems unduly restrictive.  Some novels really benefit from having this room to breathe.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

CCRP

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
I like third person limited. And by that I mean really limited. Just one character. It's quite much like Gyppo's first person POV< except that I like to keep a little more distance in my writing. But just like Gyppo, I become my MC for as long as it takes.

Offline kismet2010

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
I like the first person pov.  :) Why because I want the reader to get into my characters head. :D I want them to think that they are the hero/ heroine of the story.

Offline pb

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
i'm just starting out really, trying stuff. i've done a few first and a few third limited, and enjoyed them both. as it happens i'm doing a third person limited now and there's a few sentences i want to write that's not necessarily in a character's thoughts verbatim, but are a more specific repr. of what she is thinking vaguely. and i'm considering the technique about how to go about this. i'm reading a few books to see. maybe i'll just write them and sod the craft.

i'm not sure i have the skill to succesfully try omniscient yet, although i do short stories so it probs wouldn;t apply

Lin

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 03:00:32 AM »
I think I'm afraid of first person in case I put too much of myself in there!!  The book would be so bladdy transparent!

Lin x