Author Topic: Call for Submissions -- Artocratic Magazine  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Artocratic

• Artocratic Magazine
Call for Submissions -- Artocratic Magazine
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
Artocratic, the online magazine that opens wide and says "Aaaaaahhhh" seeks submissions for our April 2010 issue.

Artocratic is a new online hub for artistic, philosophical and cultural inquiry. A visit to the Web site is like sitting down at a dinner party with some of the most intriguing and surprising people youíve never met.

We welcome essays, short short fiction, poetry, memoir and the unclassifiable. Themes prevalent in Artocratic include creativity,  identity, eccentricity, questions of meaning, and the myriad ways humanity grapples with the infinite.

Artocratic also invites experimental and multimedia submissions that consider the above themes. Anything that can be seen/heard/experienced on the internet will be considered Ė lists, graphics, interactive pieces, collages of word and image, etc.

The nitty gritty:
--All submissions should be sent online to: submissions@artocratic.com

--Deadline: The sooner the better.  Cut-off date for the next issue is March 10th.

--Acceptable formats: .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx or .pages for most documents

--Visit our submission guidelines page http://www.artocratic.com/home/sub.html for more details!

We look forward to learning from you!

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Call for Submissions -- Artocratic Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:46:54 AM »
Thank you for posting this.

To save anyone asking, I checked the guidelines, and they are not offering any payment at the present time.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

dhanks

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
Thank You so much for posting this opportunity!

There is a story in The Republic of Plato that I absolutely love. I read it several years ago in an epistemology class. I would love to write a philosophical and thought-provoking essay based on that.

Payment would be nice but pales in comparison to the opportunity of being published on such a meaningful topic.

D

Offline Artocratic

• Artocratic Magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
IKnowNothing--
At this point our magazine is an out-of-pocket labor of love. We run no ads and charge no subscription fees, since art should be free to experience! In the future, we would love to compensate contributors, but it is not yet feasible.
Your proposed essay sounds excellent, we look forward to receiving it!

dhanks

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:07:45 PM »
Thank you!

I will begin working on the essay right away.

Warm Regards,
D

Offline tracyel

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »
I have written a short story about a teenager wanting so badly to be a model that she is willing to go to any length (including plastic surgery) to be one, only to become a world famous singer instead. Not only is it about her journey, but it is also about the role society plays in our self image without being preachy.

Is this something that would be suitable for your magazine? I'm not sure it falls under any of the listed categories.

Offline Artocratic

• Artocratic Magazine
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
Tracyel,
We encourage anyone to submit works that they think will fit our themes, and even if you are unsure you are welcome to send it in. That said, our general word-count maximum for any essays or fiction is 2000 words. It sounds as if your topic is very wide-ranging, and might exceed that maximum? If it doesn't, we look forward to reading it!

Offline WordBird

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I have pulled out my 1888 copy of Plato's Republic. I treasure this book, and yes, it is a real 1888 copy. Complete with browned and warn pages. It is one of my prize possessions.

I am working on my article, or really more accurately, I am letting my ideas flow around, in and through the theory to incubate. I am kind of a slow writer in the sense that ideas have to be mulled over in my brain and subconscious for days before I am ready to put something down on paper. And then I can begin adding the structure and putting the words down to reflect what I 'feel'.

Anywho, Question for Artocratic: May I post the essay on this forum for critique and review by the other MWC members? Or since you are on this board, too, would that be a bad idea? In other words, if you begin seeing the essay as I create it, will it lose its flavor for potential publishing on your site in April?

D

Offline Inseriousity.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »
I'd like to write an article too but... and I know this is going to sound weird... does it have to be 'sophisicated'? Maybe that's the wrong word but judging from what I've read so far, it appears you're going to have extremely intellectual articles about Plato whereas I'm only 17 so my philosophical knowledge is fairly limited. I'd love to write an article about free will/determinism as I'm finding it really interesting atm!

Oh well, if you don't try, you'll never know so I'll send one anyway :)

Offline WordBird

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
Inseriousity,

If we writers were always comparing our work to Stephen King or whoever else is a famous writer, none of us would ever try to be published. It is important, however, to study our markets and do our best to make our submissions "fit."

I cannot speak on behalf of Artocratic or any other publisher. But as an MWC friend, I encourage to you write the best that you can and submit it according to their guidelines. If they choose not to publish it, then you will have a piece that you can work on for another publisher.

Good Luck and Happy Writing!
D

Offline deborahowen

• Goal: Help each writer reach their full potential
    • Creative Writing Institute
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »

I hate to be a wet blanket, but my understanding is that if you publish a story on a forum, it is considered "published".

When you submit a story in the marketplace, the first question they ask is if it has been published anywhere. And even if
you don't tell them it has been published, they can and will locate all copies of it on the net by using Copyscape.  :(
Deborah Owen :)
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute
http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com
Writing tutor/public speaker/editor/ghostwriter
Free tips at http://www.deborahowen.wordpress.com

Offline The Dude Abides

• terrancebramblett.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
This is probably not the thread for this discussion, but I will throw my oar in ...

The last Sunday issue of the New York Times Book Review insert has an article The Free Appropriation Writer by Randy Kennedy, about how what used to be called plagiarism is more and more being called "remixing content" and "communal content" by the appropriating authors. They take whole hunks of another writers work and use it, claiming there is really nothing new, so it was already taken by someone else, blah blah blah. The authors in question are not apologetic, and maintain that they are free to use whatever they want to. This is a disturbing trend.
"Little red wagon
Little red bike
I ainít no monkey but I know what I like"
                 Buckets of Rain, Bob Dylan

Offline deborahowen

• Goal: Help each writer reach their full potential
    • Creative Writing Institute
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »

If, for example, someone plagiarized me, what would I really do? Fire them a few letters, yeah. But would I actually go to the expense of suing them. Probably not. Conclusion: people are more likely to plagiarize because courts are so expensive. Thanks for the info, Dude. That was interesting.
Deborah Owen :)
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute
http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com
Writing tutor/public speaker/editor/ghostwriter
Free tips at http://www.deborahowen.wordpress.com