Author Topic: Mens Things  (Read 8940 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Mens Things
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
I think Siggy Freud was either a gibbering idiot, or a very clever conman.  Never been quite able to decide, but leaning towards the latter.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline drab

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 07:43:50 PM »
I think that he was actually a woman, and she knew what she was talking about. lol
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline eric

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
I used to think similar to Gyppo, but learned from a very intelligent woman psychiatrist and a totally brilliant classical literature professor and psychologist, particularly the latter, in recent years that Freud did know a great deal what he was talking about.  His bad rep may come largely from the incorrect reinterpretations of his stuff by Anna Freud, his daughter, who was out to make a buck or something. 

Offline drab

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
My mother always told me never to trust a man with a beard, (Eric)
strangely enough she would say this just before she reminded me to shave before I got into her bed!
Mothers, huh! Always fussing about something. But you gotta love em....don't you?
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

CCRP

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »
As far as Freud is concerned, you have to realise that psychology didn't really exist yet back in his days. He was the father of psychology, so to say, so of course he had things wrong. Wouldn't you if you had to figure it all out single-handedly? What's much more surprising, is that he got so much right.

Offline drab

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
Psychology is the art of telling, after being told the answer. It holds no fascination for me, has no relevance and no matter how often I'm told that this psychologist or that psychologist is so brilliant the fact remains that the only people who need them are vague people looking for vague answers to vague questions, and have more money than sense. We, as a nation, tend to have multiple answers to any question. We understand that there is no quick fix, that life can be shit and then you die. But in the meantime you party.
There is a collective mentality combined with an extensive vocabulary which enables us to communicate in a way that renders psychologists almost obsolete
Paper wont refuse ink and the world is full of people who'll believe whatever they're told.
In my country they're called gobshites.
There is still a sense of community where I live, we look after our own. We have problems, but we sort them out.
Freud is an interesting read, and regardless of whether or not he was right, the navel-gazing he promotes only serves to distract us from the joy of living.
I love my mother, (don't want to have sex with her) am not jealous of my father's relationship with her, am pretty sure my wife wouldn't like to have a penis (no jokes please) and am perfectly happy with the size of my penis. If I am deluding myself and the opposite is true, what I really need is:
A. To live my life oblivious to the fact.
B. To be informed by some gobshite that I am a perverted mother-fuc#er with a small cock and a wife who wants a cock of her own.
Looks like Freud was trying to create problems and in doing so, created an incredibly lucrative industry!

Offline Lew Charles

• Never mistake motion for action
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
I dunno. I often think the 'genius' of Freud lies in his literary allusions. By taking into consideration Art and Lit, he's approaching the/a truth of humanity at it's most sensitive level. I suppose what I'm trying to say is there's a lot to be said for the subconscious, and he uses intuition, often an important element of Art and Lit, to express the emotion of a collective. Although, after writing this gabble, I think Drab is probably very wise in his summary, despite the bleak cynicism.

God, I must still be drunk.   
'The best things in life are free.'

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 05:10:31 AM »
...there's a lot to be said for the subconscious...

Seriously:  I use my subconscious a lot, as do many writers and artists.  But I consciously feed it ideas to play with.  Perhaps this stops it from getting bored and looking around for opportunities to cause mischief.

Not Quite So Seriously:  But if it ever bothers trying to convince me I'm under-endowed I have the perfect answer waiting.  "Mine's bigger than yours.  And it's not imaginary!"   ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Kowboy

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »
Psychology is the art of telling, after being told the answer. It holds no fascination for me, has no relevance and no matter how often I'm told that this psychologist or that psychologist is so brilliant the fact remains that the only people who need them are vague people looking for vague answers to vague questions, and have more money than sense. We, as a nation, tend to have multiple answers to any question. We understand that there is no quick fix, that life can be shit and then you die. But in the meantime you party.
There is a collective mentality combined with an extensive vocabulary which enables us to communicate in a way that renders psychologists almost obsolete
Paper wont refuse ink and the world is full of people who'll believe whatever they're told.
In my country they're called gobshites.
There is still a sense of community where I live, we look after our own. We have problems, but we sort them out.
Freud is an interesting read, and regardless of whether or not he was right, the navel-gazing he promotes only serves to distract us from the joy of living.
I love my mother, (don't want to have sex with her) am not jealous of my father's relationship with her, am pretty sure my wife wouldn't like to have a penis (no jokes please) and am perfectly happy with the size of my penis. If I am deluding myself and the opposite is true, what I really need is:
A. To live my life oblivious to the fact.
B. To be informed by some gobshite that I am a perverted mother-fuc#er with a small cock and a wife who wants a cock of her own.
Looks like Freud was trying to create problems and in doing so, created an incredibly lucrative industry!

drab:

You're starting to sound like Tom Cruise:

http://www.xenu-directory.net/practices/antipsych7.html

Kowboy

Offline Vienna

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »
an american once told me that if you don't go to "your" analyst twice a week you are crazy.

another person said if you go to therapy you have more time and money than sense and it's a sign that society is falling apart.

and  then an english punk (johnny rotten of the sex pistols) said when I was 16 my mother gave me a hundred quid to go to therapy cos she thought I had a drink problem, I went down the pub I mean I'm not paying a hundred quid an hour to talk to some twat that's crazier than I am.

cheers
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline eric

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
i'll drink to that   :D

Offline drab

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
Kowboy, ouch! That hurts, I need to talk to someone now or should I repress it?
vienna, Johnny Rotten was so right. A few beers with your friends is better than an hour with a stranger. Fancy a pint? I think it's eric's round.

Offline Kowboy

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
Kowboy, ouch! That hurts, I need to talk to someone now or should I repress it?
vienna, Johnny Rotten was so right. A few beers with your friends is better than an hour with a stranger. Fancy a pint? I think it's eric's round.

drab:

That sounds good. It is eric's round.

Kowboy

Offline eric

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »
drinks are on me!  my dog has the money.

CCRP

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
Psychology is the art of telling, after being told the answer. (...)

Not quite, Drab.

Psychology is the science that studies the human behaviour. Sadly, because it's such a new science (compared to other sciences) a lot of people like to make us believe that it's all a load of BS. It isn't.

About Freud. He was a child of his time as much as we are children of our time. His time was Victorian and a lot of psychological disturbances (Freud didn't exactly study the healthy mind) were sex-related. That might be hard to conceive in this age and time, but still.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:06:41 AM by Nelodra »