Author Topic: Mens Things  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
Re: Mens Things
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 07:15:20 AM »
Very good drab. I do have a few very minor tweaks if you are interested.

Are few, [L2 is a better opening]
we are simple creatures
demand so little
[you need a break here]
beer

[Change of word order to make other things the end of the strophe]
spanners
and when she's not looking
'other' things

Great ending!

I'm off for a black coffee now then a session extending the aithiest  :D
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline drab

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »
Lol Mark,
Thanks, they are small changes, but the devil is in the detail.
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline Lew Charles

• Never mistake motion for action
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »
Zealots such as I occasionally rub peoples up the wrong way! But I would "never rub another man's rhubarb".
Can anyone tell me what movie that quote is from? (I can't remember)
Or my favourite quote "You ask if I'm married, of course I'm married, wife, house, children, everything. The full catastrophe"
Clue, b&w movie set in Greece.

Zorba the Greek. Anthony Quinn, class actor, class film.

Like the poem, Drab. I'd remove the inverted commas from 'other.' Didn't think they were needed. Just a thought.

Lew  :)
'The best things in life are free.'

Offline DIZI

• My Blog.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 08:04:57 AM »
but the devil is in the detail
yes and in this forum sometimes.

Glad I inspired such a great poem.
Can you post the revision when ready,  pleeeeeeze Reverend.  :-*

Offline drab

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
Thanks Lew, it is a brilliant movie and the soundtrack is as good (if you like that sort of thing)
Did you remember the quote or google it? The soundtrack has a quote before each track, have not heard it since I was about 15, (a long time ago)
Not sure about removing the inverted commas.....actually maybe you are right, it might appear insulting to the readers intelligence.

Thanks DIZI, I'll come back to you later, have to run an errand and no, it's not hot holy oil!
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline eric

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
Actually, Zorba popped to my mind the second I read your thing, but I was too lazy to say it so, how they say?  snooze and lose.  did sleep well though.  also, i've never seen that movie so i'll have to add it to the summer reading list!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
'masticate the monsignor',

Ye gods, you're one supply dude ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline drab

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
Glab you think so!
Yes Eric, it is one of the all time great movies.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:18:50 PM by drab »

Offline Lew Charles

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
Thanks Lew, it is a brilliant movie and the soundtrack is as good (if you like that sort of thing)
Did you remember the quote or google it? The soundtrack has a quote before each track, have not heard it since I was about 15, (a long time ago)

As it happens, I watched it last month for the first time - 'the full catastrophe' just sticks with you, but then you gave a fairly big clue, too. I think Anthony Quinn is a fantastic actor - Lust for Life is another great film (Kirk Douglas does alright, too, as the tortured Van-Gogh). The line that sticks with me from Zorba is 'to be alive is to take off your belt and look for trouble' - or words to that effect. Splendiferous film. It's has some real tragedy, but you're smiling by the end.

As to the music.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3efTxe5NTo

It's at about 1 min 30 secs when the fun begins.

Offline drab

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
Another one is something like, "there are many sins, but there is one sin that God will not forgive, if a woman calls a man to her bed, and he does not go, I know, because a very wise tell told me"
And yet, if a man asks for a shag she gets away Scott-free?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:18:54 PM by drab »

Offline Lew Charles

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
Another one is something like, "there are many sins, but there is one sin that God will not forgive, if a woman calls a man to her bed, and he does not go, I know, because a very wise tell told me"
Any yet, if a man asks for a shag she gets away Scott-free?

:D

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »
I ead this from the very begining and after a while I was wondering if I stumbled into the wrong site. I had just left service from rev drab of the dangling male things to rhubard marK, Eric that left me speechless, Lew and crazy DiZI who started all this! Men's things? It is one small third leg that plays havoc with their good intentions. rev drab bless you for you have ...? shhh!
biola
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline drab

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
I'd say that it is more the fact that women have been careless (kind) enough not to grow that small third leg that has caused us to abandon our good intentions.

Offline Kowboy

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
I'd say that it is more the fact that women have been careless (kind) enough not to grow that small third leg that has caused us to abandon our good intentions.

drab:

No, drab, you are overanalyzing. Women suffer from Penis Envy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis_envy

Kowboy

Offline drab

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
Uh oh Kowboy, now you've really opened up a can of worms. Even though you are probably right. (I think we are in trouble now)