Author Topic: Newpapers etc - Reporting A story that needs be told  (Read 1130 times)

Offline treacy73

• Not my best pic
    • Crazy4Words
Newpapers etc - Reporting A story that needs be told
« on: June 03, 2006, 06:40:08 PM »
Ok I'm not to sure how to ask this, but I will get to the point.

AS much as I love to write just about anything, writing a report (or outlined News) of a story that needs to be told, is complete block to me.   I've only ever done Poetry and short stories (thou working on a novel), so a news report (article or whatever) is new to me.  Despite my refusal, I have been ask to write up a report to pass on to a Newspaper or magazine,(a story I know they would want). 

I gues on any normal day i would take this chance, but this report is related to a murder of a well-known and would blown Heaven & Hell apart with the information I've been given....(here I admit I knew the dead man well, and this is one reason I was asked to do this story).  But I have no Idea how to write out what appears to be a draft press report.  Could someone advise on the layout or point the way to a sample or template to reporting.

~Words are a soul's inspiration~

Offline treacy73

• Not my best pic
    • Crazy4Words
Re: Newpapers etc - Reporting A story that needs be told
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 06:46:13 PM »
PS. would be thankful for any information with regards to writing to a newspaper or magazine
~Words are a soul's inspiration~

Offline Ve

Re: Newpapers etc - Reporting A story that needs be told
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:21:35 AM »
Hi Traecy,

I write for a few newspaper here in this tiny little county of mine. However, what I would do if I where you is call the Editor of the paper set a meeting and talk with him about it. Tell him that you have the who,what, why when, where and hows and its a story you feel that needs to get out. I also write reviews for the NYTimes when I had to write on the Da Vinci code I was a bit scared. So I called my Editor and he helped a great deal. The review came out great however it was sent to the wrong Editor and he was fit to be tied. So just keep in mind you may have a great story yet your not going to please everyone all the time. So call the Editor and give it your best shot. I'll be in the rooting stands for ya.

Ve