Author Topic: Hiya from the Western Plains of Australia  (Read 10671 times)

Offline yeggy

Re: Hiya from the Western Plains of Australia
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 07:45:08 PM »
I now have this vision of a crazed Aussie, with corks hanging from his hat brim, the stereo belting out  Waltzing Matilda or A Pub With No Beer at about 1000 watts, thundering along some dusty desert road, overtaking those soddin' great road-trains, with his manuscript on the steering wheel, a tinnie in one hand and a pen in the other, steering with the prehensile toes of his non-accelerator foot.  Unless you have a breeze block holding down the loud pedal.  (What I once heard described as an Abo-Overdrive.)

Pleased don't disillusion me ;-)

Welcome to our little corner of the Big Bad Web, where a surprising amount of 'good stuff' gets done despite - or maybe because of - the fun and frolics in the less serious parts of the site.

Gyppo

Crikey mate, you wos spot on and bonzer except that - strike a light I gotta dissolution you on one point - I'm a sheila.

Gyppo, have you been watching too many movies or do you have personal experience of this sunburnt county? (Which, BTW, due to influence of far away cyclone Laurence is lacking on the sunburnt bit - very wet in the Western Plains, boggy in fact.)

Have yet to explore beyond this thread. I know how absorbing forums can be and am resisting plunging in.  ;D

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
I'm a sheila.

There's only one way to be sure of that. If you have ever watched Crocodile Dundee then you know the way I'm talking about 8)
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline yeggy

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »
There's only one way to be sure of that. If you have ever watched Crocodile Dundee then you know the way I'm talking about 8)

Try it and your balls will be so small you can audition for a soprano!  8) 8) 8) Em..... (To self) That's assuming AJB is a bloke.  :-[ :-[

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
Try it and your balls will be so small you can audition for a soprano!  8) 8) 8) Em..... (To self) That's assuming AJB is a bloke.  :-[ :-[

I love a challenge. A flight to the otherside of the world however is a tad too much of a challenge for me.

That threat also smacks of you wanting to return the favour :D
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »
Hello, Yeggy, and welcome.
Most people live and die
with their music still unplayed.
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »
Crikey mate, you wos spot on and bonzer except that - strike a light I gotta dissolution you on one point - I'm a sheila.

Gyppo, have you been watching too many movies or do you have personal experience of this sunburnt county? (Which, BTW, due to influence of far away cyclone Laurence is lacking on the sunburnt bit - very wet in the Western Plains, boggy in fact.)

Have yet to explore beyond this thread. I know how absorbing forums can be and am resisting plunging in.  ;D

It did cross my my mind that you might be of the female persuasion, and I was going to allude to this possibility, but I got side-tracked by the beeping from my smoke alarm and just hit [send] before investigating the cause of aforementioned beep.

No, no personal experience of the broad brown land.  However, Dad was there during WW2 for a while and brought back a fair batch of tales.   Including one about a strapping great bull-dyke of a crane operator they met in a sailor's bar.  She challenged a group of British Matelots to a drinking contest, and by the end of the evening, with prodigious amounts of rum and beer having been consumed, she and Dad were the only two left standing.  Both being skint by then they tried to settle it by arm wrestling, and drew on that as well.  Dad was quite a short little fellow, but stokers on coal-fired ships had real muscles. Although he admitted it was close-run thing, on both drinking and arm-wrestling.  She helped him load his mates into a taxi and they dropped her off en-route to the ship.

BTW, the beeping alarm was a low battery warning, not a portent of a sudden conflagration.

Gyppo

PS:  You ought to visit the MWC bar.  Hiding behind/within the Coffee Shop thread, where you will often find one of our other resident 'convicts', a lass called FireFly, proppping up the bar.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:39:14 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline yeggy

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »

PS:  You ought to visit the MWC bar.  Hiding behind/within the Coffee Shop thread, where you will often find one of our other resident 'convicts', a lass called FireFly, proppping up the bar.

Thanks for the heads up re fello Ozzy, Gyppo.

Great tale from WW2.

British Matelots - so that makes you British? I was born in London - parents (Irish dad and mother of Scottish descent explain everything AFAIC) came out when I was a kid as 10 pound pom - now that's showing my age. But like a fine red wine, I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Now if the beverage in question had been a dry red, I might have stood a chance, but not on the arm wresting!

twisted wheel

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 06:37:27 AM »
hi and welcome to the forum

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 06:47:37 AM »
Hi Yeggy, exactly how far south are you planning on coming mate?  ;D ;D

Oh and welcome to the forum. There are a few Aussies here now, we are taking over the world, as you know. >:D

Don't hold it against you being part Pom though.   ;)
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 07:20:38 AM »

POM means 'Prisoner of her Majesty' and it was prisoners sent to dwell in Aussie land with that written on their backs. So I am gonna stick my neck out and say it's Aussie's who deserve that moniker :P

Offline yeggy

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
Hi Yeggy, exactly how far south are you planning on coming mate?  ;D ;D

Oh and welcome to the forum. There are a few Aussies here now, we are taking over the world, as you know. >:D

Hiya fire-fly,
(Is your screen name inspired by the TV series or the bug?)
We're heading to Adelaide via Kapunda, staying in the southern burbs for a few days, trip out to Victor Harbor to see the olds-in-law, birthday on the 9th, then across to Melb via the Ocean Rd. Returning to Dubbo either through inland Victoria or along the NSW coast - depends on how much time we have.

Part PM. Mmmm that would be the toe nail clippings.  ;D 8)

Offline yeggy

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »
POM means 'Prisoner of her Majesty' and it was prisoners sent to dwell in Aussie land with that written on their backs. So I am gonna stick my neck out and say it's Aussie's who deserve that moniker :P

Actually, my bad, the real nomenclature is POME, Prisoner of Mother England. There are a lot of people who are now very proud to claim a convict heritage.  ::)

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 12:54:14 AM »

:o :o :o :o :o

But we shower, we can't have that moniker.   ;)

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »
Dubbo will fly close to me mate, I am in the Hunter Valley. 

We are heading North in June, up to Darwin, over to Broome than the Gibb River Road to spend time in the Kimberlies, I can't wait.   ;D ;D

Offline yeggy

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »
Dubbo will fly close to me mate, I am in the Hunter Valley. 

We are heading North in June, up to Darwin, over to Broome than the Gibb River Road to spend time in the Kimberlies, I can't wait.   ;D ;D

We lived in Darwin for 11 years, Moved to Dubbo Feb this year. Never made it to Broome but camped lots of times in Litchfield and Kakadu, plus stayed in Kununara and Katherine a few times.  We had hoped to drive down the west coast but left the NT before we had the chance. Another day, huh. When I get back from hols I'll pop over to the cafe and, if you’re interested, give you the gen.

Pity you won't be there on the weekend around May 20th. That's when the NT Writers Centre Festival Wordstorm is on. I'll be returning to haunt the place and 'run' all the volunteers. It is an awesome event held on the lawns of the MAAGNT, Museum and Art Gallery of NT, which looks over the harbour. Couldn't get better than that.

Keep checking the website for details if you're at all interested.

http://www.ntwriters.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=43

Maybe, just maybe, if we do make it to the Hunter Valley we can have coffee in some cool place.  8)

Yikes - gotta go.