Author Topic: When writing a novel, how much do you get done per day?  (Read 4062 times)

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
When writing a novel, how much do you get done per day?
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:04:52 AM »
Just curious as to everyones rates of words per day.

I personally try for a minimum of 1000 every day, or around busy periods of my life 1000 every time I open my novel documents.

What about the rest of you?
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: When writing a novel, how much do you get done per day?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:10:38 AM »
I just forget about word count until it's time to quit and put it away. Some times it will flow while other times I'll spot an error and spend quite a while fixing and reshaping what's already on the screen.

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
I am like that :P although I like to work to targets and the 1000 target makes me feel like I have accomplished a goal.

Think I have 2000 today :) and feel as though I could keep going :D
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

dhanks

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »
I have a tendency to write in sections. Like regardless of word count, today I want to develop topic A, for example. But I do recall having assignments that required a certain word count. I could research and write 1500-2000 word papers in a weekend. So your 1000 per day count sounds about right on to me.

I am like you A.J.B., in that I have to have a target of accomplishment. Otherwise I end up just piddling and not really getting anything done.

D

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:21:15 AM »
until the characters tell you they are done for the day or you simply can't type a single word more, then you are through for the day. word count may end up making you feel intellectual. I just simply write.
biola
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline Writermom

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »
When my daughter allows, i.e. when Grandma has her.  I've been known to write upwards of 10,000 a day.  Then I need to give my hand a break for a couple of days so it evens out.  Reading this makes me feel like an over achiever!  :-[
When things look bad, write it down, could make a good story.

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
When my daughter allows, i.e. when Grandma has her.  I've been known to write upwards of 10,000 a day.  Then I need to give my hand a break for a couple of days so it evens out.  Reading this makes me feel like an over achiever!  :-[

It makes me feel as though I have set my bar too low!

5,000 or so is the highest I had. I think I should just push myself to write more, but as Biola said, if it's there it's there and if it isn't then it just isn't  :'(

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »
Try reading this post my Derek Sivers. It's very inspiring and helps with procrastination.
http://sivers.org/dont-fight-it
Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »
That blog post is just pretty much how I go about my writing. Don't try if I haven't got the flow going. Common sense really, but when under a self imposed deadline common sense often flies out the window.

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
Yeah, I always think it's better to write during a 2-hour window of inspiration and get heaps written rather than spend a whole day slogging away at the keyboard/writing paper and getting very little done (unless, I have a deadline looming).

I also find I'm more inspired to write early in the morning and by mid afternoon the creative part of my mind has shut down for the day (whether I want  it to or not) so then I'm better off doing technical work or physical work (packing books, going to the post office, filing, typing, creating web pages, etc).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:02:26 PM by SheWritesRight »
Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

dhanks

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »
My timing is the same as SheWritesRight,

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I do most of my best writing in the morning. During college, I would get up at 4:30am and do all my work before I went to my day job. Not only am I more creative at that time, I have found that I am able to write more quality work before the 'world' has a chance to disrupt me.

Even though I'm not in college any more, I still have a better chance of writing something worth reading if I get up an immediately start writing before I even check my email. Everyone has a different biological clock. So I think it is important to learn and pay attention to whatever your clock is.

So, while I don't usually try to write a specific number of words; I do try to write in sections or topics. And I have discovered that my most talented work comes upon me during the first hours of getting up in the morning.

I guess, though, since I write more non-fiction than fiction, that I would perhaps be more productive writing may a particular scene or developing the character of a particular person in my novel, as opposed to writing on a specific chapter or topic.

Bottom line my advice would be to figure out your own "clock" and figure out your own writing "chunk."

For whatever it is worth,

D

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »
I think the fact that I write dark fantasy kind of lends itself to me writing better at night.

I have also found that I can get a ton done in the hour or so before I have work...of course after I get home I can't just pick up where I left off >:(

Offline DIZI

• My Blog.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
Some days nothing. Some days I write a rough, new draft senario,
tweaking, adding little bits more, here and there to the older ones -editing.

All my best ideas come early hours. Then I can't sleep mindful of words.