Author Topic: The Wealthy Writer  (Read 3430 times)

dhanks

The Wealthy Writer
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:11:07 PM »
I just want to say that when I joined this forum, I had no idea that Nick was THE Nick Daws that co-authored The Wealthy Writer. I have a copy of that book on my desk.

I have been a writer at heart since my earliest memory of 8yrs old sitting in front of a stack of school paper. I knew I wanted to write, but I didn't know what to write.

More than 30yrs later, I still have the desire but also the experience and some knowledge to go along with it.

May 2010 be a great year for anyone trying to deepen their roots and purpose in life!!

D

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: The Wealthy Writer
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
Hi dhanks, good to meet you and welcome to MWC. I'm sure you will find it a fun .    ;)
We are a friendly bunch so when you feel comfortable jump in the water's warm.

The best place to start is reading the stickies on each board and they will give you a general idea what to do. But pm if you have any trouble.

Here's the formal bit:

We don't have many rules here on MWC, but would appreciate it if you took a few moments to check out our etiquette guidelines by clicking on the link below:

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

Please take a look around, youíll find the stickies at the top of the boards hold general guidelines about posting in the different areas.
Maybe enter a couple of the challenges and generally have fun.

With regards to the Review My Work section, we do ask that you comment on a few pieces of work before posting your own. Don't be shy. It's a great way to get to know the other members and their work. (And it really helps when it comes time for your work to be reviewed.)

If you have any questions, or anything else you are unsure off, just ask - there is always someone willing to help.      ;D

The moderators are the ones with the blue stars.  :)

Ma

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
hello, dhanks.  Welcome. Wishing you the best.
Most people live and die
with their music still unplayed.
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to our little corner of the Big Bad Web, where a surprising amount of 'good stuff' gets done despite - or maybe because of - the fun and frolics in the less serious parts of the site.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
Hello and welcome dhanks, enjoy the boards as you learn your way around.

Smiles,
Alice
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Swampfox one

• Old Warriors donít die; They play with cats
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
Welcome D. ;D

Pull up a stool for I know you have already found the bar and look around.

dhanks

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome from all!

I found the bar pretty quickly. LOL. But that's just me.

I am looking so forward to offering my help as well as getting help. So far, I am thoroughly enjoying this forum!!

D

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
You look very much like a pig in your profile pic...
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

dhanks

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:47:33 PM »
Ok, I changed my profile pic. I love my little piggy picture.

This pic of me was taken about 5 years ago. Of course, I have aged. LOL.

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:24 PM »
You look very much like a pig in your profile pic...

And I look very much like a swirl, but meh, it makes me stand out in a crowd.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:57:13 AM »
The piggy pic was very cute I must admit, and AJB I thought you were hypnodisc from Robotwars? My mistake  :)
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »
The piggy pic was very cute I must admit, and AJB I thought you were hypnodisc from Robotwars? My mistake  :)

You'd be suprised how often I get that :P I loved that robot, next to Razor he was the ultimate killing machine :D
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

dhanks

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »
Mornin' Leah,

Yep, I've had my copy for several months as well. After I graduated, I entered into this whirlwind of activity trying to start a consulting company - complete with writing, public speaking, one-on-one consulting/coaching - Basically an empire. Obviously that didn't happen. I was trying to start to much at one time, especially during a bust economy, and pretty much never got my feet off the ground.

So, here I am today. Taking baby steps.  ;D

D

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:36 AM »
Mornin' Leah,

Yep, I've had my copy for several months as well. After I graduated, I entered into this whirlwind of activity trying to start a consulting company - complete with writing, public speaking, one-on-one consulting/coaching - Basically an empire. Obviously that didn't happen. I was trying to start to much at one time, especially during a bust economy, and pretty much never got my feet off the ground.

So, here I am today. Taking baby steps.  ;D

D

That's incredibly interesting! Perhaps it would be wise to start, as you said, with baby steps and just offer consultancy on writing to begin with?

Are you still persuing this endeavour?

dhanks

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »
Yeah, I still have interest in pursuing the coaching and consulting. My degree is in Knowledge Management, which is a really cool niche. But when companies are laying off some of their best workers to get by, or worse, closing down, there isn't a lot of money to be spent in the corporate world for such rubbish.

So here's my newly updated plan:

1. Develop an even more narrow topic. KM is an extremely broad area. I need to work on figuring out what one tiny area I want to focus on and be viewed as an expert on.

2. Start a website and start blogging. Perhaps a newsletter. Hopefully this will begin to establish a 'following'. (I hate the way that sounds.)

3. Produce some Booklets. I like SavvyWriter's idea. Between Items 2-3, I should begin to get some feedback on what is most interesting to my readers.

4. Book Proposal and Agent.

5. Consulting and Coaching, Public Speaking, only AFTER I have prepared my foundation as an expert on the subject.

So, rip it apart. What do you think of this plan?