Author Topic: The Wealthy Writer  (Read 3374 times)

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
Re: The Wealthy Writer
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
If you are going about it I think you have the idea set out in the best order as it goes from small to big.

But personally I would have stuck a 'seek out fledgling publishing houses and offer my services to them'. Newly opened publishing houses migh tno have people in such positions and will most likely be doing alot of work themselves rather than employig people. If you can offer your services at a fair price (even if you're not making a lot you will be getting experience in the field) then they may be willing to take on your services in a freelance position of sorts.

If you are going to try my suggestion then I would advise making good use of duotropes digest. It has a wonderful search function that helps you find publishing houses/magazines who operate in certain genres.

Best of luck with your future endeavours.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

dhanks

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
Ah, yes. I actually know someone that got published is a now very reputable journal during the first year of their operation. Great Idea!

I have an awesome idea for a book that could hit the streets today without all the other hoopla. But I'm scared to query without having any "presence" anywhere.

hhmmmm. So much to do!!

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
The best way to gain a following is to start a group on facebook or something similar and then herd the members towards your blog :P
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

dhanks

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »
Leah, I've thought about starting a Proofreading Service. But it seems to me that I would have to spend as much time on that as I would on my writing business?? idk.

AJB, Yep I got a Facebook account. Mainly for my family and a few friends. If I did start a Group, none of the people that I have connections with would be interested except just to see what I'm doing. Most of them would look at it one time if I asked them to. But I'm not sure how to advertise the group to people on FB that aren't in my connections. Do you know how to do that?

D

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:34 PM »
No..that is a tricky one. You would have to advertise somewhere where you already have a fair few people know what you are doing etc..

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »
I would love to be part of a proofreading group. Would be a nice littler earner if enough people sent stuff in. I have proof read a novel for  apublishing house before so I reckon I could do it :D

Offline A.J.B

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »
Aha! And take the world by storm :D

dhanks

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 06:42:47 PM »
Count me in please!! I don't know why or how I developed the skill. But I can find errors in things that have been past several people before me. I would love to make some extra money proofing.

Maybe we should collaborate on a website and divy up the business?? I love working with other people.

D