Author Topic: Banging Head on Keyboard - Please tell me I am not alone!  (Read 2380 times)

Jayel

Banging Head on Keyboard - Please tell me I am not alone!
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »
I have no trouble writing the tale.  Nick's program has given me the ability to organize a novel in record time (though I must admit I still don't have it down to 28 days *wink*) The words flow and within 10 to 12 weeks I can have a novel ready for the editor - chapter outline, no problem, it is the synopsis for the publishers that gives me fits. You would think it would be a breeze, after all who else knows the story so well. But, *insert sigh* that is simply not the case for me, my mind has raced on to the next story and lost all interest in dealing with problems of the past.  I spend more time sitting and staring at a blank Word document each time 'synopsis' moment rolls around than I ever have when writing the book.

Is there a magic potion or philtre available for this period of doldrum, or spell to be cast, or does one just hand the job over to another?

Does anyone else suffer these symptoms?  If so, what do you do?

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Banging Head on Keyboard - Please tell me I am not alone!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 07:05:31 AM »
Jayel,

Oh dear! I feel for you, I really do - but I'm quite sure you're not alone. There's definitely an element there of the anti-climax. You've finished your novel, edited, found lists of publishers, bought the boxes/envelopes, opened the champagne, performed your ritual may-the-publisher-who-rejects-this-fall-under-a-bus dance and then - Alas! - you remember you still have that blasted synopsis to write. Surely the most difficult part, almost? What to put in, what to leave out, etc. etc.

I'm sure Nick's course has a section on writing a synopsis (but I'd have to steal onto my dear husband's computer to get at it!) -  and the guy who wrote the Marshall Plan had what I thought was an excellent section on writing a synopsis (regardless of what you thought about the rest of the book). For now, though, what I'd suggest is finding Lyn's synopsis (I'm sure I've read that she's posted one on here?), print it off and take it as a sort of blueprint just to get you started. Maybe you could try mind-mapping your main characters and plots - to help you pick out the salient points and get it all onto two pages?

Better still - why not write the first paragraph and post it for comment. Those in the know will be able to tell you if you're on the right track ...

Good luck. Fingers crossed,

Symphony

Jayel

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:45:40 AM »
Thanks for the sympathy, Symphony.  It is not the technical aspect of the synopsis that is so irritating, but rather the 'busy work' feel I get whenever I must pull away from a new story and gather yesterday's thoughts one last time to satisfy a requirement.  It throws me into abslolute rebellion. It just has a very high school homework feel to it and  :D I want to play with plot, not write the 'book report'.

I am sure you are right. There must be others who enjoy the creation of the story above all else, and tend to feel suffocated by the 'work' aspects of the craft.

After talking to my editor I have decided to hand the task off to her, for, as she so eloquently reminded me, she is as familiar with the work as I.  She did call the synopsis 'grunt work' which made me smile and realize even she understands that some of the hoops we are asked to jump through can be annoying.

It is a new day, the clouds gather over the Pacific and I am sure there will soon be dragons soaring above the wind whipped waves.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 11:15:14 AM »
 ;D ;D     *peeks out window to look for dragons*

Wow! Didn't know editors did that sort of thing. How wonderful for you. Now you can get on with that next plot ...

Good luck

;D

Jayel

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 03:22:03 PM »
They do when it is the fourth manuscript they have edited for you, they are well paid, already know you are impossibly eccentric, like your work, hear the whine building in your voice and want you to hush and get on with the next project that will be heading their way.  Isn't synergy a great thing! ;D

Aye, there be dragons.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:34:17 AM »

Fantastic.