Author Topic: the  (Read 4427 times)

Offline John Yamrus

Re: the
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
Sorry Kyle it dosent do anything for me I like some of Johns stuff like Eddie but just not  this its just another another Jinga and I can look at the blocks in any order and its still dosent titavate or make me want to enquire.  It feels a bit like the emperors new clothes, maybe all I am seeing is the nakedness. 

Sorry

dear mlambere;
maybe when you learn to spell i'll give your views a bit more consideration.  as it stands, if you can't seem to understand the poem, then maybe you're not meant to understand it.  with my poems, you either get them or you don't...and if you don't, i guarantee you'll never will.
thanks.
john
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

mlambere

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »
John, I get it but I  just dont like this one, it dosent get  more complicated than that what is wrong with that.  I love your defensive retort. 

As I said it does not want to make dive in or enquire further, it reads like a public information film in the UK aimed at 8 year olds and the Jenga style is getting a bit boring.  I like a number of your poems just this dosent do anything for me.   

With respect to spelling I did not know it was a test, I must do better next time. 

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »
John, I get it but I  just dont like this one, it dosent get  more complicated than that what is wrong with that.  I love your defensive retort.  

As I said it does not want to make dive in or enquire further, it reads like a public information film in the UK aimed at 8 year olds and the Jenga style is getting a bit boring.  I like a number of your poems just this dosent do anything for me.  

With respect to spelling I did not know it was a test, I must do better next time.  

it's "doesn't".  and i wasn't defensive...merely bemused.
and i write simply, because simple is the only way to go.  when you complicate things, that's when they get screwed up...just ask Tiger Woods.
jy
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

Offline sideshunter

• bees make honey, why? earwigs don't make chutney
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 05:19:11 AM »
love the tiger woods reference! the complications are up to seven when i last looked at the headlines. i like both complicated and simple poems. complicated can be frustrating at times, beautifully constructed poetry in mags like poetry review tend to be vacuous, usually about some guys expensive holiday. The simple poem is also dangerous; it can better suited to being a bumper sticker or relegated to a slogan on some student's tee-shirt. i got one back from an editor saying "not so much a poem as a rant" he was right, that's what hurt.
The person dancing is deemed mad by everyone who can't hear the music.

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 08:32:32 AM »
love the tiger woods reference! the complications are up to seven when i last looked at the headlines. i like both complicated and simple poems. complicated can be frustrating at times, beautifully constructed poetry in mags like poetry review tend to be vacuous, usually about some guys expensive holiday. The simple poem is also dangerous; it can better suited to being a bumper sticker or relegated to a slogan on some student's tee-shirt. i got one back from an editor saying "not so much a poem as a rant" he was right, that's what hurt.

you're quite right about the risk the simple poems run.  it's a very fine line.  very fine.  i like dancing on it, though.  the benefits (for my money, at least) greatly outweigh the risks and i don't mind at all putting my reputation on the line to run that risk.
jy

randolph

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
listening to KIND OF BLUE will teach you all you'll ever need to know about writing poetry.

still cheerfully mythologising, eh John?   :o : ;)

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
still cheerfully mythologising, eh John?   :o : ;)

absolutely! 
some things will just never end.

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
we have a saying here at home. when you stay too long on the dunghill, all types of flies will visit your butt.
biola
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline sideshunter

• bees make honey, why? earwigs don't make chutney
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:23 AM »
my God Biola, that is profound indeed. ;)
The person dancing is deemed mad by everyone who can't hear the music.

Offline rikki

• What is 'is'...who cares?
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »
This has the feel of a hiaku (sp?). I get a sense of depth hidden in the simplicity.  I can easily see the weeds as adversity or some hardship to momenatily over come...or as simple weeds.
Where the slime is thickest, under that rock, that's where they found me.

Kyle

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »
This has the feel of a hiaku (sp?). I get a sense of depth hidden in the simplicity.  I can easily see the weeds as adversity or some hardship to momenatily over come...or as simple weeds.
Probably more the latter than the former. 

And "haiku."

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 08:39:11 AM »

i know it does...and i hate haiku.

CCRP

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
I like it John.

This is why I've got both my front- and backyard tiled. The weeds still grow, of course, but this does make it easier to master them.  ;)