Author Topic: Using Photos...  (Read 1893 times)

Offline GaryHibberd

Using Photos...
« on: January 18, 2006, 04:03:07 AM »
Hello All...

I'm looking to understand how I can use photos to bring my book to life, but haven't got a clue how to go about securing their use.

The book in question is a reference manual on the history of Disasters through the centuries.  It ranges from Pompeii to 9/11 and includes everything from air crashes, earthquakes, Tsunami, shipping and rail disasters.  I've done a LOT of research and now have a format that I think will work, but obviously I'd like to bring additional interest and colour to the book by including photos.

Any ideas on how I go about including them?

Thanks for advice, in advance.

:) :)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Using Photos...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 11:19:08 AM »
Hi Gary

I would be inclined to try to sell the book in the first instance using a synopsis plus sample chapters, and don't worry too much at this stage about photos. What you don't want to do is start incurring photographic expenses without having a publisher lined up.

Once you have a publisher interested, you can talk to them about sourcing photos. They may well have arrangements with photo libraries and agencies you can use. Larger publishers employ picture researchers whose whole job this is.

I'm no expert in this field, though - most of my books have few illustrations - so any other comments would be welcome.

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline prophetcharlesb

Re: Using Photos...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 01:44:27 AM »
Gary the library of congress will prob have lots of public domain pics you can use. I use to get pics from there. I hope this is what your asking for is public domain pics. Another thought is old postcards and/are postcard pics. So many of those are public domain and sometimes pretty cheap if you have to buy them, like from auctions etc.. Theres more avenues for getting pics too but I hope this will help.

"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley