Author Topic: The question every writer needs to ask...  (Read 833 times)

Offline scanner

• It Was Easy!
The question every writer needs to ask...
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
The question every writer needs to ask is: why do you write and what do you want from it?

I love two part questions and I saw this question on another thread.

Well, I write because I can't stop.  I should know because I have tried. 

Now, as to what I want from my writing?  Well, that depends upon the events that led up to my writing.  At times, I just want to make some money and then that might end up in me just wanting to be done with it whether I get paid or not.

Sometimes, I like the challenge and all I want is to know that I can do it.  It's like climbing K2.  You are glad to have done it but don't want to do it again because you rally don't fancy Sherpas all that much.

Every novel I have tried to write has produced another thing that either made me happy or money or both.  So, if I am out of ideas I start to write a novel.  That's why I never finish novels.

I believe all I want out of writing is an outlet.  It is as if you have to come to the end of yourself just to find something you like.  When you have emptied the tank, (so to speak) and there is nothing left, you find there is more.  I am always looking for that place.
It's all in the wrist.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: The question every writer needs to ask...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:16 AM »
I want to be read. Acknowledged. Appreciated.

I want to teach. To learn. To spread the word.

I want to leave something of worth behind. Besides my wonderful gene pool aka The Kids. And their kids.

I want to see the words magically appear, the thought coalesce, the idea crystallize. I want to see a finished product, worth the time it takes to read it.

With all of the above, I would like to be paid enough money to make the actual process of the writing ... economically worth it.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline mistywrites

• Misty Writes...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »
No matter what else I may do for money, I always come back to writing. I can't get away from it forever. I either get back to journaling, writing long letters (which I started keeping in my journals and simply photocopying to send to who I was writing to), or working on the blog. I want to write so I can be paid for it. I love the flexibility and the challenge of writing out of comfortable genres and constantly polishing the skill. I also love hanging out with other writers (you guys) that "get it."

It also brings a feeling of appreciation and worth to my life, especially when it touches others. Just my thoughts.
Regards,
Misty Bledsoe
www.mistywrites.com/blog

Offline Opus

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
I write because I enjoy the creative process, and through writing, I hope to offer something unique and memorable that makes life a bit easier for those who can understand what I am trying to say.  Though I do not seek great fortune from the process, I would like to earn a living by writing so that I can live where I want (Townsend, Tennessee, USA) and have all the time I need to write enough to satisfy the craving.

Kind regards,
Opus