Author Topic: they're like that on the net  (Read 9685 times)

Offline bowmore bill

Re: they're like that on the net
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »
they’re like that on the net,

on those
poetry sites

they all
have names

Musegal

and
PoeMan

and
Rhymer,

announcing
who
or what
they think
they are.

i really
don’t think
they’re doing it
for security.

i think
they’re
ashamed.

deep down
inside

they know.

and they don’t
want their names
being known.

so, they’re
stuck…

caught in a world
of their own
design.

too
scared

to sign
their names.

and
too proud

to
admit it. Hi John, how does it feel to put yourself in the line of fire.
Yoy are a braver man than me Dunga Din. _{don't know if i got the spelling right.}
However having said that, I am one of those who thinks of himself as a writer an sometime poet.
Deep down i know however, that although i write it means just that.
My computer name, Bowmorebill comes from my love of Bowmore silnge malt, one of Islay's best.

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »
So, the argument is that people using screen names are hiding their real identity because they're ashamed to say who they are?

Roll up John Smith.  Try getting that id. on almost any established site.  And what a distinctive name to use on your books.  It'll really stand out from the crowd.

And so to many more.

Look at the copyright notices on the books you buy.  Notice how many copyrights are held by someone other than the author indicated on the cover? Or, could it be a nom de plume fronting for a name more ordinary or perhaps judged less marketable?

And in today's society of self-trumpeting p.r., why would we expect anything different online?

As for arrogance in screen names, well there's plenty of that slushing around the world, whether under a pseudonym or not.

DISCLAIMER: Written under a pseudonym, clearly, because I'm deeply ashamed of everything I say - or is it just that my name is so common I've decided to use something distinctive?

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

no, conan, the point i was trying to make was that if people were proud of their poetry they would publish and post under the same names. (i don't care in which name they claim their copyright) if Mark Twain (S. Clemens) were alive today i'd be wanting to see him publish and post under mark twain not posting under "wurdman".
   it's just a peeve of mine.  it IS interesting to me, though, how it bothers so many people for me to suggest they pull aside the mask.
    did i spell peeve right?  it looks odd to me?
     anyway, i'm done in this thread.  it's carried on long enough, don't you think?
take care...
John
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline Conanthedoylarian

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »
no, conan, the point i was trying to make was that if people were proud of their poetry they would publish and post under the same names. (i don't care in which name they claim their copyright) if Mark Twain (S. Clemens) were alive today i'd be wanting to see him publish and post under mark twain not posting under "wurdman".
   it's just a peeve of mine.  it IS interesting to me, though, how it bothers so many people for me to suggest they pull aside the mask.
    did i spell peeve right?  it looks odd to me?
     anyway, i'm done in this thread.  it's carried on long enough, don't you think?
take care...
John

I know a few authors who are household names both here and in the US.  Some of them contribute to fiction sites anonymously using odd screen names for several reasons.

1. It could be damaging to some careers to be seen writing that kind of material, yet they want to try their hand.
2. It could compromise their publishing deal.
3. Given the current "celebrity culture", the work would be treated differently if their identity were known.
4. They get more honest feedback from everyone involved.
5. Freedom of speech - surely you can call yourself what you like?
6. They want to branch out and see if their efforts in a new genre are accepted without the gloss of celebrity.

All of these seem like good reasons to use pseudonyms.

John, you appear to talk up your own work here quite frequently, and write many poems about how bad others work is.  Why not let the less able make a stab at marketing their stuff too, even if it is only through a naff name?

Offline Vienna

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2009, 05:38:12 AM »

hmm the discussion is hotting up! I am waiting for a post from Ann Grier! ;D
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Conanthedoylarian

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »
hmm the discussion is hotting up! I am waiting for a post from Ann Grier! ;D

Eliza Ann Grier the first freed slave to practice medicine? ;)

Offline Vienna

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 06:33:09 AM »

no the two girls ann grier and anne grier along with the irish girl ann O'Nymous
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
didn't I see them with Sue D. Num?
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron